Author Topic: Woj: Gay told Kings he'll become free agent in 2017 and not likely return  (Read 4072 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664583-rudy-gay-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-kings-star

I know many on here aren't keen on Gay joining the C's, but if we could buy low on him after this report, I think he'd be an excellent scoring 4 next to Horford. Sacramento had said in the summer that they're expecting some return for him, but with him basically forcing their hand now, he might come cheaper just so they don't lose him for nothing.

What's the most you would give for him? Would you do something like Zeller, Young, and a non-Brooklyn pick for him, though it'd have to wait until Zeller could be traded? I'm not sure that they can get much more for him elsewhere.

Re: Woj: Gay told Kings he'll become free agent in 2017 and not likely return
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
My hope is that, unless SAC are miraculously a top-4 team in the west this season, they will deal Cousins by the deadline and the Celtics will pounce. Cousins might not push us over GSW or CLE but he will definitely give those teams mismatches and gives the Celtics a legitimate shot at least in a playoff series against Cleveland, or maybe even Golden State  :angel:.

His value will be a lot higher than if they waited in the off season to deal a "rental" Cousins. Hopefully Cousins follows Rudy and demands a trade soon lol.

As for Gay, I wouldn't mind Zeller/KO, 2 picks (second rounder and a non-BKN pick) and Young for Rudy. I feel like KO will leave after this season anyways.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I don't have strong feelings either way, but where would we play him? I think it is probably debatable how much better he is in the crowder (if at all) and he would surely want to start coming in on a contract year. Then we are moving crowder to the bench for one season and burying brown on the depth chart? It seems like that could be all sorts of issues (and gay probably isn't good enough to create those issues).

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664583-rudy-gay-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-kings-star

I know many on here aren't keen on Gay joining the C's, but if we could buy low on him after this report, I think he'd be an excellent scoring 4 next to Horford. Sacramento had said in the summer that they're expecting some return for him, but with him basically forcing their hand now, he might come cheaper just so they don't lose him for nothing.

What's the most you would give for him? Would you do something like Zeller, Young, and a non-Brooklyn pick for him, though it'd have to wait until Zeller could be traded? I'm not sure that they can get much more for him elsewhere.

There is no way Sac is trading a wing for another center.  Even Vlade isn't that crazy.  They already have Cousins, Koufos, WCS, Papa G, and Skal.

I'd be all for trading Zeller and filler for Gay -- I think he could be useful here, though he is reportedly unwilling to buy into playing the 4 full time -- but I really doubt that will be an option.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Jonas, Jackson, Young, and Bentil work. I'd only do it if Gay declined his option as part of the trade.  I like cap room.

Doesn't make much sense for Sac, however, since they'd have to eat other contracts.  Probably would have to find a 3rd team willing to give Sac a couple of seconds for JJ, at least.

It really means that Cousins will increasingly agitate for a trade.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Car salesman says that LAC still likes Gay.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I would trade spare parts for Rudy Gay until his deal is done. Sacramento must know they won't make the playoffs, so they'd be better off trading for young talent. I'm sure SAC can get a deal done for Rudy, even though they really need to blow it up by trading DMC.

Rudy Gay fits nicely next to Horford and Crowder. Playing for a new deal and a chance to go deep in the Eastern playoffs, why not? I think the Celtics are a perfect fit. Their defense should be solid this year, and they can always use more scoring.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 05:54:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Jonas, Jackson, Young, and Bentil work. I'd only do it if Gay declined his option as part of the trade.  I like cap room.

Doesn't make much sense for Sac, however, since they'd have to eat other contracts.  Probably would have to find a 3rd team willing to give Sac a couple of seconds for JJ, at least.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jm4jf9j

This works:

Bos - Gay

Sacramento - Young, Jackson, let's say Memphis pick

Philly - JJ, Hunter, couple seconds

Sacramento gets a couple young guard prospects and a pick for Gay, and Philly gets some backcourt shooting with Hunter and a couple of seconds for their trouble of taking on JJ.

Not sure that's all necessarily worth it for Gay, though, especially if it's only one year of him.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd consider him in a bench role, but he's not someone I want to pencil into the starting lineup.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I hate the idea of giving Jonas up for him. JJ fits what Brad wants out of a big perfectly. Gay can't shoot, defend, pass, or win. He's the anti-Brad.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
no no no...he is jeff green.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So George Karl seemed pretty desperate to leave, a year ago the best FA they could get was Rajon Rondo, who proceeded to have 0 interest in a return. Now Rudy Gay says he wants to leave too.

Will Sacramento look at this and say, my God we need to rebuild and trade Cousins? or will they say my God, cousins is the only good player who will ever agree to play here, we cant trade cousins? or will they Kings it and do nothing but draft another center.

If Im Sac im looking at a very tankable year. They trade Cousins they are almost certainly looking at a top 5 pick.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
So George Karl seemed pretty desperate to leave, a year ago the best FA they could get was Rajon Rondo, who proceeded to have 0 interest in a return. Now Rudy Gay says he wants to leave too.

Will Sacramento look at this and say, my God we need to rebuild and trade Cousins? or will they say my God, cousins is the only good player who will ever agree to play here, we cant trade cousins? or will they Kings it and do nothing but draft another center.

If Im Sac im looking at a very tankable year. They trade Cousins they are almost certainly looking at a top 5 pick.

Problem is Philly has a pick swap with them this year if the Kings tank. That deal the Kings made last year rivals the Nets-Celtics trade for most lopsided deal in the last five years.

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We should get him

........" NOT" ......

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Gay's a selfish player who has a history of not making his teams better until he leaves. His style of play wouldn't fit here. I think it's more likely Miami or Houston grabs him.