Author Topic: Blakely: look for KO as a possible trade possibility as the season progresses  (Read 4894 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/09/atlantic-notes-celtics-sixers-nets.html

Nothing really groundbreaking or imminent here, but Blakely is basically reporting that KO could be a trade possibility this year due to his lack of consistency in Boston. It's probably mostly speculation, but I figured I'd post it anyways.

Perhaps the C's are a bit unsure of paying KO the contract he'll be getting next year? He mentions Toronto as a possible team calling about KO, though I'm not sure if that's merely just due to him being from Canada.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Shedding KO for another longer term rookie could help free up the cap space for a run at a max FA this summer so it wouldn't surprise me.

I could see something like Okafor for KO and Rozier + low pick at the deadline for example. Frees up about $3m in cap space this summer. Can't quite remember if that is enough though to be in the running for Griffin and Hayward

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So if Blakely says this, I even more expect that Olynyk will sign a five year deal next summer.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
So if Blakely says this, I even more expect that Olynyk will sign a five year deal next summer.

Yeah, seems more speculation than anything. And after the whole Sully incident where we let him walk rather than paying him, I can't imagine us not doing the same with KO, unless we could nab a younger prospect in the process.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Shedding KO for another longer term rookie could help free up the cap space for a run at a max FA this summer so it wouldn't surprise me.

I could see something like Okafor for KO and Rozier + low pick at the deadline for example. Frees up about $3m in cap space this summer. Can't quite remember if that is enough though to be in the running for Griffin and Hayward

I'm hesitant to think that the Sixers would trade one of their bigs for another big, which doesn't get them out of their logjam; however, KO is by far the most versatile out of all of their bigs. He could legitimately play with any of them, and he'd provide them with much needed shooting.

Though I'd trade KO and a low pick for Noel in a heartbeat if they would do it.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I'm hesitant to think that the Sixers would trade one of their bigs for another big, which doesn't get them out of their logjam; however, KO is by far the most versatile out of all of their bigs. He could legitimately play with any of them, and he'd provide them with much needed shooting.

Yeah I get that but at least KO is different to the other bigs they have. He's the kind of big that would complement everyone they have.

I did a bit of very loose maths and if we cut Young this year and don't pick up the option on Hunter, then waive Zeller, Jackson and Mickey, then release the rights to JJ and AJ...then the above trade would get us max space to sign Hayward or Griffin. But the final figure depends on the salary of the Nets pick.

Personally I'd rather Okafor than Noel but that's another debate :P

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I am not opposed to that trade, i think it's a win win for both teams, KO can play with any bigs as you mentioned...great passing for a big man who can shoot the three, while we get a much needed defensive center who can rebound next to Horford. Though I don't think it needs a low pick for him, do you think we can do it straight up?

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Blakely doesn't have any more to offer on this stuff than any of us.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
He may get dealt but I'd blame SOME of the consistency on playing time he deserved but didn't get. Either way it's Blakely so it may as well be any Celtic fan.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I am not opposed to that trade, i think it's a win win for both teams, KO can play with any bigs as you mentioned...great passing for a big man who can shoot the three, while we get a much needed defensive center who can rebound next to Horford. Though I don't think it needs a low pick for him, do you think we can do it straight up?

It probably depends upon how they play the first part of the season, and how bad the roster crunch/big man log jam has gotten in Philly.

It'd be some sort of devaluation for the 13th pick in KO to be traded straight up for the 6th pick in Noel, huh? Granted, I think it's more about context than anything, but you might be right that KO could be enough to get him straight up, since both are in contract years.

Re: Blakely: look for KO as a possible trade possibility as the season progresses
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be surprised if the Celts trade KO, just because I think his value to them as a shooter who can adequately defend both big positions is enough that he probably isn't worth trading unless it's a lottery pick or a two-way starter coming back the other way. 

It's hard to see another team giving up that kind of value, unless there are other assets involved.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Blakely: look for KO as a possible trade possibility as the season progresses
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'd be surprised if the Celts trade KO, just because I think his value to them as a shooter who can adequately defend both big positions is enough that he probably isn't worth trading unless it's a lottery pick or a two-way starter coming back the other way. 

It's hard to see another team giving up that kind of value, unless there are other assets involved.

Well, I guess it depends upon what you think his ceiling is. If you think he's pretty much who he is, then I think the much cheaper JJ can provide pretty much the same amount of shooting from the big position as KO, with much more defensive versatility. JJ doesn't provide the playmaking and passing that KO does, but that's not needed nearly as much with Horford there, who is one of the best playmakers from the big position.

Further, keeping JJ next year will come at a price around Crowder's salary or a bit more; whereas, it wouldn't surprise me to see KO get more than Turner this summer.

Would you trade him straight up for Noel, or even adding a later first round pick (like Boston's 2018 pick)? Though I'm still not convinced that Philly would even want a big back in return, even with KO's offensive versatility. Perhaps if it was expanded a bit to be KO and Rozier for something like Noel and Covington, that would make more sense.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I leaning heavily on KO being traded. But now after this Blakely report KO probably gets resigned at 3 years $8 million per.

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I leaning heavily on KO being traded. But now after this Blakely report KO probably gets resigned at 3 years $8 million per.

If all KO gets is $8M/yr over three years, then sign me up! Ryan Anderson just signed for $20M/yr and he doesn't have KO's playmaking ability (but I agree that his offensive production has been more consistent.

It's all kind-of irrelevant how much KO gets next summer, though. If we keep him, we can sign him to as much as we want to and his cap hold will only be his QO. The real decision may come down to if we are going to pay AB or trade him next off-season. My guess is that he will be gone if we sign Hayward (since we will also need to open up some cap space with KO's QO on the table).

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Two side to this

Up to KO... but he has progressed every season in the league. Just doesnt have a beast body naturally and has to work the extra to get there

Blakeley is a moron. .KO was consisten last season , at least most consistent than his previous years. He made open 3s like it was layups... in the playoffs he has an excuse. Again goes back to his body/conditioning