Author Topic: Celtics add multiple "Swings" this year.  (Read 4690 times)

Celtics add multiple "Swings" this year.
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:15:55 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Just to clarify a swing is a guy that can play Small foward and small ball power forward.

The obvious weakness on the Celtics just a year ago. Just Crowder and Jonas were the main Swings.

All the guys we signed or drafted aren't all true swings, but the shear number of 6'6" to 6'8" athletes we acquired is very telling.

Here is a quote from Stevens over a year ago.

" And I think that swing area where you can go 3-4 and play that way, that's the area we're going to have to adress as we move into the next few weeks and look at our team."

So this year we draft Jaylen Brown 6'7", with a seven foot wingspan, Yabusele 6'8" 7'2" wingspan, Ben Bentil 6'8" 7"1" wingspan Abdel Nader 6'7" with a 7'1" wingspan and signed Gerald Green who is 6'7" with a 6'10" wingspan.

So that's Five guys added to the roster that could potentially play the swing.  Add that to Crowder, Jerkebo, and Young who should be able to swing with his body, but I refuse to count him.

Still that's Seven bodies for Stevens to choose from, a great improvement from just a year ago. Fantastic job addressing the team's weakness Ainge. Tp Danny.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:48:21 PM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Celtics add multiple "Swings" this year.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:09:43 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I see Brown and Green as wings rather than swings. They themselves wouldn't be playing the small ball power forward role, they enable Crowder to play it.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 05:26:25 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I see Brown and Green as wings rather than swings. They themselves wouldn't be playing the small ball power forward role, they enable Crowder to play it.

Brown definitely is a swing. Brown has the tools to play three positions offensively and defensively. Just needs to work on the jumpshot.

Green can play the 2/3 if he was tougher he could play small ball four. He certainly has the tools and size.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:44:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We needed size and athletic ability, but we also cut loose one of our least athletic guys too in Sullinger.   This tells me we are going to run more than ever.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:05:01 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
We needed size and athletic ability, but we also cut loose one of our least athletic guys too in Sullinger.   This tells me we are going to run more than ever.

Fingers crossed. Tommy keeps going on about how fast they were in the 60s, I'd love to see them ramp it up towards that

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Brown is probably not that Swingy this year, but after his body fills out in a year or two, he's definitely a swing.  He could probably fill that role in an emergency this year too.  He's not Crowder thick, but he's definitely got a powerful build.

Green is a wing, however.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Just to clarify a swing us a guy that can play Small foward and small ball power forward.

The obvious weakness on the Celtics just a year ago. Just Crowder and Jonas were the main Swings.

All the guys we signed or drafted aren't all true swings, but the shear number of 6'6" to 6'8" athletes we acquired is very telling.

" And I think that swing area where you can go 3-4 and play that way, that's the area we're going to have to adress as we move into the next few weeks and look at our team."

So this year we draft Jaylen Brown 6'7", with a seven foot wingspan, Yabusele 6'8" 7'2" wingspan, Ben Bentil 6'8" 7"1" wingspan Abdel Nader 6'7" with a 7'1" wingspan and signed Gerald Green who is 6'7" with a 6'10" wingspan.

So that's Five guys added to the roster that could potentially play the swing.  Add that to Crowder, Jerkebo, and Young who should be able to swing with his body, but I refuse to count him.

Still that's Seven bodies for Stevens to choose from, a great improvement from just a year ago. Fantastic job addressing the team's weakness Ainge. Tp Danny.

i agree with the above in total, my concern is, are we going to even see Yabu, Bentil, Nader on the court this year? We may see Nader a bit... I'm not to sure about Yabu, and Bentil.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Yab is too slow for SF. Green and Brown not physical enough for PF. I'd say for sure JJ, Bentil, Crowder, and Nader can all play both spots effectively.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Of the guys you mentioned, I think that only Gerald Green will get more than 10-15 mpg with the team this year.  Brown is probably the only other one who will get minutes, period.

Wing / swing is actually a notable point of weakness for this team.  It's basically Crowder, Jerebko, and Green among guys with both the size to regularly switch 2-4 and experience in the league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Of the guys you mentioned, I think that only Gerald Green will get more than 10-15 mpg with the team this year.  Brown is probably the only other one who will get minutes, period.

Wing / swing is actually a notable point of weakness for this team.  It's basically Crowder, Jerebko, and Green among guys with both the size to regularly switch 2-4 and experience in the league.
Despite his size, I really dont see Green playing as a 4 on either side of the ball. Hes much more of a 2-3.

Nylon Calculus tracks players "average position" meaning if they play 40 minutes at the 2 and 40 at the 3, then they average a 2.5.

last year Green averaged a 2.6, Turner was a 2.7. Crowder a 3.2 and jerebko a 3.8. No one else is really close to 3.5.

the metric however, seems a bit flawed as they have Smart listed as playing 3 SF minutes to Bradleys 316, meaning when both are on the court they count AB as a SF and Smart a 2 or 1 which based on what Ive seen is backwards.With that in mind, they listed Green as playing 1 minute at PF, 890 at SF, and 650 at SG.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 01:29:17 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just to clarify a swing us a guy that can play Small foward and small ball power forward.

i agree with the above in total, my concern is, are we going to even see Yabu, Bentil, Nader on the court this year? We may see Nader a bit... I'm not to sure about Yabu, and Bentil.
Yabu, no, stashed in Europe.
Bentil and Nader, unlikely unless there is an injury or two.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Yabu, no, stashed in Europe.
Bentil and Nader, unlikely unless there is an injury or two.

Jerebko can't play the 3 decently--and I think the C's now know this.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Green can play the 2/3 if he was tougher he could play small ball four. He certainly has the tools and size.

Not really - he weighs 205!

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Regardless of how many players get big minutes, it's about having bodies ready in the on deck circle if need be.

Last year when Crowder got hurt we were really screwed this year we have a lot more swingers ready for action.

I think I like that term better, "Swingers"

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 03:08:05 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

... this year we have a lot more swingers ready for action.

Optimistic, I think. Bentil, Yabusele, and Nader are hardly "ready for action", for instance.