Poll

Would the 2017 Top Pick Fetch Porzingis?

Yes
5 (17.2%)
No
24 (82.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Would the 2017 Top Pick Fetch Porzingis?  (Read 2859 times)

Would the 2017 Top Pick Fetch Porzingis?
« on: September 16, 2016, 10:38:52 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'll keep it simple. A straight up 1 for 1 deal.

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Would the 2017 Top Pick Fetch Porzingis?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I will keep my answer simple:

No.

Bird in hand....

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think so. 

Also, even though '17 draft is supposed to be loaded, what are the odds that #1 outperforms Porzingis over the stretch?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it depends on the year he has this year. If he regresses or gets seriously hurt the answer is yes. If he plays like last year or better, the answer is no.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
How good are Porzingas' advanced stats? My impression from watching him was pretty good. He moves crazy good for someone that is 7'3. Shot 33% from 3, 85% from the line averaged almost 2 blocks a game. I almost wonder if he has more upside than Towns.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:29:02 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Why would the Knicks even entertain such an offer?

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it depends on the year he has this year. If he regresses or gets seriously hurt the answer is yes. If he plays like last year or better, the answer is no.
This.

I voted no

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I will keep my answer simple:

No.

Bird in hand....

Pretty much. They could end up better or they could end up Kwame Brown

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
In a vacuum the top pick might very well be more valuable than Porzingis, but I can't imagine any team would actually trade Porzingis for the top pick.  Then again, what if the top pick looks like Lebron James did or Kevin Durant, etc.  Then you might very well make that trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Porzingis seems like a great prospect but he might be a little overrated right now.  Just the fact that people are comparing him to towns kind of speaks to that.  Towns might already be a top 5 player in the league.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Porzingis seems like a great prospect but he might be a little overrated right now.  Just the fact that people are comparing him to towns kind of speaks to that.  Towns might already be a top 5 player in the league.

Dont you think youre also overrating Towns here too?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

lol TP.  Larbrd is pretty transparently mad that the 76ers passed on a better prospect in Porzingas so he wants to make some attempt to talk down his value.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

lol TP.  Larbrd is pretty transparently mad that the 76ers passed on a better prospect in Porzingas so he wants to make some attempt to talk down his value.
That's silly.  I don't think there's a single GM that would have taken Porzingis over Okafor in that draft.  Too risky.  And Okafor showed pretty much what he was expected to show as a rookie.  That pick was about maintaining trade value of an asset.  We also have no idea how much Porzingis would have struggled surrounded by D-Leaguers.  Decent chance he wouldn't have put up the same type of stats there.

And no, I'm not overrating Towns.  He might already be a Top 5 player in the league. 

ESPN just did their rankings and had Russell WEstbrook at #5.  I'd take Towns over Westbrook RIGHT NOW.  And I'm not talking about projecting out their futures... I'm saying RIGHT NOW, I think Towns would do more for a team than Westbrook.

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Its not ludicrous to say that Towns is already close to being a top 5 player in the league. He's certainly on a trajectory to be top 3.

Given age, contract, ceiling, etc...  He is probably the #1 most untouchable player right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Its not ludicrous to say that Towns is already close to being a top 5 player in the league. He's certainly on a trajectory to be top 3.

Given age, contract, ceiling, etc...  He is probably the #1 most untouchable player right now.
In terms of who I'd build a team around, yeah he's #1.   He wasn't the best player in the league last season.  And I'm not saying he's for-sure a Top 5 player right now.   But based on what we've seen so far and the typical jump big like him make from year 1 to 2, the season might start with Karl Towns as one of the 5 greatest players in the league. 

I like Porzingis as well.  He's undeniably a great prospect.  We should all be over the moon excited for New York Knicks fans.  I just think he's getting a wee bit overrated based on the New York bias.  He was really good.  He wasn't THAT good.  I'm not sure how much offense he can really create for himself.  HIs efficiency dropped a little as the season progressed.  Unlike some of the other rookies, he wasn't getting all of the defensive attention thanks to playing with someone like Melo.   He certainly looks like he has a ton of potential.

It probably also helped that he was sharing a starting lineup made up entirely of veteran NBA pros.  Lopez - 8 years, Melo - 13 years, Calderon - 11 years, Afflalo - 9 years.    It would have been interesting to see what Porzingis would have done on a team like Philly sharing the court exclusively with D-leagers. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:47:51 PM by LarBrd33 »