Author Topic: 2016 NFL Season  (Read 40905 times)

Re: 2016 NFL Season
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Shocking.  Absolutely shocking that something the NFL would institute would backfire on them.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bill-belichick-isnt-bending-to-nfl-kickoff-rule-and-others-may-follow-suit-001819719.html

Don't know why they're singling out Belichick here, though.  Any head coach with half a brain should be taking the same approach.  It's not exactly genius.  Its common sense & good strategy.
My favorite solution to the kickoff issue is to replace it with a drop kick from the 50-yard line.

If they're really concerned about player safety (which they're clearly not), then you just eliminate it altogether.   

Tinkering around with it in this manner does almost nothing and could easily lead to even more injuries if teams are taking the approach of doing short kicks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Is there any doubt whatsoever that Garapolo is the 2nd best QB in the AFC East? If you said Fitzgerald or Tannenhil I wouldn't call you crazy. I'd just call you wrong.

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Is there any doubt whatsoever that Garapolo is the 2nd best QB in the AFC East? If you said Fitzgerald or Tannenhil I wouldn't call you crazy. I'd just call you wrong.

Or that Belichick is an even better coach than he was getting credit for? Doing this without Brady certainly helps cement his coaching legacy.

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Ouch -- looks like Garapalo's got a shoulder problem.  Didn't like the pain he appeared to be in and the "Oh my god" he was mouthing after being attended to.   Looks not too good.

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This is the part where we discover Brissett is the 3rd best QB in the AFC East

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
This is the part where we discover Brissett is the 3rd best QB in the AFC East

You may be correct!  Nice drive!!

BTW -- Chris Long is playing great.

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The Dolphins....I'm pretty sure Alabama last year would beat the Dolphins this year.

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
The Dolphins....I'm pretty sure Alabama last year would beat the Dolphins this year.

Above post is my current pick for jinx of the year.

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Man real bummer about Garropolo. He was On. Fire.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't live in Boston anymore, so I don't listen to Boston sports talk radio. Are the talking heads still saying BB made a mistake in drafting Jimmy G?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
I don't live in Boston anymore, so I don't listen to Boston sports talk radio. Are the talking heads still saying BB made a mistake in drafting Jimmy G?
Anyone remaining skeptical before today will have a hard time sustaining that after the first half today.  But pretty much I think everone was convinced last week.   Hope the injury is not bad.  I think I just saw a screen banner that said xrays were negative.  Hard to believe there will be no impact - Jimmy looked like something not good was happening with the shoulder.

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Nice to see the Giants winning games with their defense this year, so far.  Looks like all the money they spent on that side of the ball may have been worth it.

Oh, and is there a better receiving trio in the entire league than Beckham, Cruz, and Sheppard?  I'd be hard pressed to think of one.  A healthy Cruz is scary news for pass defenses.

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2016, 08:00:30 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Nice to see the Giants winning games with their defense this year, so far.  Looks like all the money they spent on that side of the ball may have been worth it.

Oh, and is there a better receiving trio in the entire league than Beckham, Cruz, and Sheppard?  I'd be hard pressed to think of one.  A healthy Cruz is scary news for pass defenses.

God I hate the Giants!  >:(

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2016, 03:07:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't follow football.  is that Jimmy Garofalo kid legit or did he just have a couple flukey great games, because of the Patriots system?  Also, is his injury going to keep him out the next couple games?

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2016, 03:52:34 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't follow football.  is that Jimmy Garofalo kid legit or did he just have a couple flukey great games, because of the Patriots system?  Also, is his injury going to keep him out the next couple games?

Disclaimer: Patriots fan responding here.

Jimmy G has been very impressive filling in for Brady. Last week, he beat the Cardinals, a team that many had as their Super Bowl pick this year, in their own home stadium and he did it without the team's best offensive weapon (and possibly the league's most unstoppable force) Rob Gronkowski, and arguably the team's two best offensive linemen, Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer. Up until his injury, Jimmy was ripping through Miami's supposed "stout" defense consistently leading them to touchdown drives despite still not having Gronk. I do think he has great receivers to throw to, but even great receivers suffer when they play with a crappy QB. I think Jimmy's shown he has what it takes. He's played so well that a thought came to my mind that he could be the Aaron Rodgers to Tom Brady's Brett Favre but that's getting wayyyy ahead of myself.

Also, they say the injury wasn't as bad it may have looked but he will be out on Thursday against the Texans. It doesn't really matter because Brady will be back in 3 weeks and the Pats have held their ground well in his absence.