Author Topic: 2016 NFL Season  (Read 40911 times)

Re: 2016 NFL Season
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

With a player like Lebron or Shaq, it takes more contact to achieve that goal. If you do a light contest and Lebron still easily makes the layup it becomes an awful play instead. So should the players not be allowed to do fouls that impact Lebron the same way they impact other player's chance of making a shot? I don't necessarily know there is a simple answer to that...

I think you gotta draw the line at conduct that pretty obviously has a high chance of resulting in injury, whether on an individual hit basis, or on a cumulative basis.

In basketball, it's like when you see guys, quite literally, jumping on Deandre Jordan's back to commit the foul.  That's a bit much.

In football, I understand that it may skew the game towards offensive players, but I want to see them enforce rules that require the players to actually learn to practice sound tackling technique, rather than running at full speed and leading with the helmet like a ram in mating season.

It seems obvious to me that the Broncos defenders had a clear plan to work in concert to rattle and wear out Cam Newton as much as possible, so that by the end of the game Cam couldn't do what he is capable of doing in the first quarter.  Indeed, I think I read quotes to that effect.  They basically admit that's what they're trying to do.

The NFL is going to have a tough time rooting out that sort of strategic behavior.  At the very least, they need to make it carry a very high in-game cost.  If you want to take the wind out of Cam's sails by ramming him in the head and knocking him on his behind multiple times, you should be ready to give up some 15 yard penalties resulting in a 1st down.  And you should be prepared for some of your key guys to get tossed and possibly even suspended for a game or two if any of the hits is truly egregious.

I don't think we disagree too much on this. There probably should have been one extra penalty on Denver, perhaps two. However, if the refs constantly are missing holding, defensive pass interference etc, how can we expect them to be so much better on what is admittedly a tough call? Do we want to award each coach a separate targeting/blow the helmet flag they can throw down once a game if they feel one of there player takes a dangerous hit that wasn't called? It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world and they do review the targeting automatically in college.

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I am a cowboys fan since a little kid but a culture shock compared to most New England teams since I grew up here in Western mass.  jerry jones has been terrible for years since the glory days of the triplets and Jimmy Johnson.  Bill Belichick is so much better and so is Tom Brady. How are a rookie quarterback in Dak Prescott and rb in Elliott who is a gf beater supposed to compete. It's hard to root for a team that has played awful for years but somehow gets press like they are God's team still.  The Patriots are the best organization in sports. It's a shame Brady has to deal with dumb people in the NFL.  Brady and Belichick are about as close to God's team as there is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 05:58:07 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
So the Patriots begin the 2016 season already leading the AFC East by a half game over the Jets, Bills and Dolphins.   

Is a 2016 Patriots thread already started?

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think once again the NFL has decided to disgrace itself by putting a Brady-less Patriots on Sunday night. IMO this was done to show up the Patriots and the announcers will most likely talk about the the bag of BS called deflategate. I don't expect to win but boy would it be nice to spit in the NFL's face and all the hatters!! >:(

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Jimmy G. -- great drive!   Great TD pass to scarily wide open Hogan.  Phenomenal drive by Edelman as well.

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 09:28:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wow. Two players in a choreographed celebration is a 15 yard penalty. I don't get that. It reminds me of the show Modern Family where the guy was like "You cheated on me with choreography Craig and that is the worst kind of cheating!"

I mean I hate those dances as much as anyone but 15 yards? I mean how do you know it's choreographed? Are the refs dance experts now?  I mean wow.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 11:36:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'll take it...good job, Jimmy!

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 11:37:33 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow. Color me surprised. New England won!

I was ready to lambaste the Patriots for getting my hopes up only to lose at the very end, but the Cardinals did us a solid with a missed FG. Very good game from Garropolo, considering it was his first NFL start, and on the road, against a team almost no one expected them to win.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 11:40:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Wow. Color me surprised. New England won!

I was ready to lambaste the Patriots for getting my hopes up only to lose at the very end, but the Cardinals did us a solid with a missed FG. Very good game from Garropolo, considering it was his first NFL start, and on the road, against a team almost no one expected them to win.

Great win. 
Yup

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 12:08:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Wow. Fully understand why so many hate the Patriots, but that was great. They can literally do no wrong. All odds against us? Meh, just p--- excellence per usual.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:02:58 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 01:04:05 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Very impressed with Garapollo. O-line was shaky, but with no Solder Vollmer or Cooper its hard to be too critical.

I thought White Hogan and Mitchell were all terrific on offense and Chris Long was great on D. Was actually really happy with Logan Ryan despite the fact that he kinda got picked on.

Without the fumbles + vintage Fitzgerald this game is a blowout.

Cant wait to have Gronk back along with Nink. I also think Mingo can have a big year.

To add to the list of guys Im excited about: Valentine and Flowers I thought were terrific as well.

Really impressive to come into a superbowl contenders house on national TV without your 2 starting tackles and a starting(maybe) gaurd with a QB making his first start and also without the best tight end in the world and get a win.

Belichick is the GOAT.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 01:08:38 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Wow. Fully understand why so many hate the Patriots, but that was great. They can literally do no wrong. All odds against us? Meh, just p--- excellence per usual.
I dont know whether to be in awe of Belichick 's clock management or really dissapointed in it. Usually Id say we got lucky for the second time today, but Bills track record suggests it might be something else.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 01:45:46 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I dont know whether to be in awe of Belichick 's clock management or really dissapointed in it. Usually Id say we got lucky for the second time today, but Bills track record suggests it might be something else.

If the ball goes through the uprights I don't think anyone would be calling it good management.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 03:11:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A few games really had some crazy plays to start off the season. Always good to also have more close ones.

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice job, ESPN.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team