Author Topic: 2016 NFL Season  (Read 40894 times)

Re: 2016 NFL Season
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Quite possibly the best special teams performance by the Pats in the Belichick era last night.  Btw, Ryan Allan's punts and the kickoff coverage, it was as close to perfect as you'll see.  Although, Cyrus Jones probably won't be returning punts anymore.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The broadcast would be so much better if they had occasional live feeds to Goodell's face.

At the very least I'd like to see how he looked the second he found out what happened. Did someone have the guts to give him the details or was it like Hitler on D Day where nobody wanted to wake him?

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
The broadcast would be so much better if they had occasional live feeds to Goodell's face.

At the very least I'd like to see how he looked the second he found out what happened. Did someone have the guts to give him the details or was it like Hitler on D Day where nobody wanted to wake him?

The broadcasts would also be much better if they eliminated Phil Simms.  He is awful and has been awful for quite a number of years now.   If you're on Twitter, follow @philsimmsquotes.  You won't be disappointed.

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
27-0 Pats win against Texans.
Pretty amazing given it was w a rookie third string QB.

This is just embarrassing for other teams. Seriously.

Without their HOF QB, their Pro Bowl TE, also missing Dion Lewis and a couple of offensive linemen; a backup QB making his first two career starts, then a third-string rookie QB making his first NFL start; beating a Super Bowl favorite on the road.

None of this has mattered. They just keep on winning.

How is this not embarrassing to the Cardinals, Dolphins, and Texans? Not because they lost, but because they got owned. Belichick and his staff are showing their football mastery right now. I just hope it ends with Goodell handing Brady another Super Bowl MVP trophy.
Well, that's how they looked when they started 10-0 last season too, so there's that.

Touché. That thought did cross my mind as I wrote that post. But I see this season (so far) a bit differently. If Brady and Gronk are healthy and not suspended, I expect them to go 10-0. I didn't expect them to beat Arizona, and I didn't expect them to thrash Texas. To see them winning with several backups and rookies just screams how well the coaching staff knows football, and how Goodell really can't hurt them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2016, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
While the start to this season is doing wonders for cementing Belichicks legacy as he greatest coach ever, it's got to be hurting Brady's to some extent. I mean, it seams you can throw anyone out there at QB in Bill's system and this team will still dominate. Brady's going to have a lot of pressure to not only keep up the win streak but to improve on this teams dominance and win it all once he returns.

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »

• Satch Sanders
While the start to this season is doing wonders for cementing Belichicks legacy as he greatest coach ever, it's got to be hurting Brady's to some extent. I mean, it seams you can throw anyone out there at QB in Bill's system and this team will still dominate. Brady's going to have a lot of pressure to not only keep up the win streak but to improve on this teams dominance and win it all once he returns.

I think "the Patriots system" was first proven way back when Matt Cassel led the Pats to an 11-5 record (but missed the playoffs—thanks, stupid playoff system). But you're right that these last three weeks confirm that.

I don't think, though, that it detracts from Brady—his postseason heroics no doubt had something to do with the system, but it's clear he's one of the best ever.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2016, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think "the Patriots system" was first proven way back when Matt Cassel led the Pats to an 11-5 record (but missed the playoffs—thanks, stupid playoff system). But you're right that these last three weeks confirm that.

I don't think, though, that it detracts from Brady—his postseason heroics no doubt had something to do with the system, but it's clear he's one of the best ever.

It helps immensely when you have a legit defense.  This Pats team has had a sneaky really good defense for a couple of seasons now.   

2nd half the MIA game aside, this D has been lights out.  Helps the offense immensely and has made them look better than they really currently are.

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

It helps immensely when you have a legit defense.  This Pats team has had a sneaky really good defense for a couple of seasons now.   

2nd half the MIA game aside, this D has been lights out.  Helps the offense immensely and has made them look better than they really currently are.

I agree, I think had we beat the Broncos last year, no reason why we shouldn't repeat. That Pats vs Broncos game was all defense.

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »

• Satch Sanders

They have some real studs in Collins and Hightower, and I hope the team ponies up to keep them. The D has been a big strength of the team this year.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

They have some real studs in Collins and Hightower, and I hope the team ponies up to keep them. The D has been a big strength of the team this year.

The corners have really been something too.  I used to dog Logan Ryan but he's turned out to be a really quality CB.

Picking up Chris Long has been huge too.   Don't hear many people pining for Chandler Jones right now.

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Uh oh...

Mike Petraglia ‏@Trags  1m1 minute ago Waltham, MA
Source confirms torn right thumb ligament for Jacoby Brissett. Suffered injury in 2nd half Thursday. Faces likely surgery for stabilization.

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2016, 02:46:10 PM »

• Satch Sanders

The corners have really been something too.  I used to dog Logan Ryan but he's turned out to be a really quality CB.

Picking up Chris Long has been huge too.   Don't hear many people pining for Chandler Jones right now.

Long has been great, and Sheard too, and Ryan. In fact, is there anyone who hasn't performed well thus far? I mean, on the whole? I've seen a couple of guys get beat on a couple of plays, but really, outside MIA second-half, the defense has been great.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2016, 02:49:20 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Uh oh...

Source confirms torn right thumb ligament for Jacoby Brissett. Suffered injury in 2nd half Thursday. Faces likely surgery for stabilization.

To make it fair they are going without a QB.  ;)

Anyway hope not, be a bummer for the kid after that game.

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2016, 02:51:36 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Uh oh...

Unfortunate. Someone tell Jules to starting throwing.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Uh oh...

Unfortunate. Someone tell Jules to starting throwing.

The run of injuries on this team is Sort of ridiculous.
Celtics fan for life.