Author Topic: 2016 NFL Season  (Read 40924 times)

Re: 2016 NFL Season
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Terrible news, but not the end of the world. Having Bennett saves the TE receiving quite a bit even though he's not Gronk.

The game in Denver seems like an auto-loss, but am hoping to pull out the others. If not, but we still get home field, then we should at least make it to the AFC Championship where anything can happen.

I just want to see more playmaking out of our defense and fewer heads-up-our-ashes plays like last week (TB timeout in the 1st which led to successful review/punt stands out to me).

« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Terrible news, but not the end of the world. Having Bennett saves the TE receiving quite a bit even though he's not Gronk.

The game in Denver seems like an auto-loss, but am hoping to pull out the others. If not, but we still get home field, then we should at least make it to the AFC Championship where anything can happen.

I just want to see more playmaking out of our defense and fewer heads-up-our-ashes plays like last week (TB timeout in the 1st which led to successful review/punt stands out to me).

People are relying on the Bennett binkie, but I'm not sure how he'll do. He has a couple of nagging injuries himself, plus I'm not sure he's established a good connection with Brady—though that may have to do with the fact that the team has used Bennett mostly in a blocking role.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
NE Wins, Brady becomes the winningest player in NFL History, and the Dolphins lost (pretty much sealing the AFC East for good).

Oh, and now the Raiders are losing (Bills lead 24-9). Too bad the Chiefs and Broncos won though  >:(

Brutal stretch ahead: BAL, @DEN, NYJ, @MIA

Typically have trouble against Denver and Miami on the road, and Baltimore plays us tough no matter where the game is played. Going out of that stretch 3-1 would be amazing but may take a bit of a miracle as well...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
NE Wins, Brady becomes the most winning-est player in NFL History (is "winning-est" a word lol?), and the Dolphins lost (pretty much sealing the AFC East for good).

Oh, and now the Raiders are losing (Bills lead 24-9). Too bad the Chiefs and Broncos won though  >:(

Typically have trouble against Denver and Miami on the road, and Baltimore plays us tough no matter where the game is played. Going out of that stretch 3-1 would be amazing but may take a bit of a miracle as well...
winningest is a word. most winningest is incorrect. He is just winningest QB in NFL history.

Schedule is pretty tough down the stretch. Denver on the road is tough and Baltimore is just tough.

Miami is always tough on the road, but its a bit easier to go play them in December as opposed to early in the year.

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2016, 06:10:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
NE Wins, Brady becomes the most winning-est player in NFL History (is "winning-est" a word lol?), and the Dolphins lost (pretty much sealing the AFC East for good).

winningest is a word. most winningest is incorrect. He is just winningest QB in NFL history.

Schedule is pretty tough down the stretch. Denver on the road is tough and Baltimore is just tough.

Miami is always tough on the road, but its a bit easier to go play them in December as opposed to early in the year.

Thanks! Yeah that makes more sense lol.

I see us winning against the Jets at home (unless they have a complete meltdown).

Maybe Brady and offense can have better success against Denver's defense this year (which is tough but looks more vulnerable than past years).

Regardless, defense needs to step up big time.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2016, 10:46:24 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Is there any scenario remaining where the Pats and Raiders finish tied, and Pats get the #1 seed?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Such a satisfying win tonight for Big Blue.

Screw the Cowboys.

« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2016, 12:44:04 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
If we don't make the Super Bowl, it won't necessarily be because of Gronk being injured (they've already played like 4-5 games this season without him and have fared well). I have faith Bennett will continue carrying the load, Malcolm Mitchell is stepping up and now Amendola might have a bigger role as well.

THE DEFENSE THOUGH, DEAR LORD..., they make struggling QBs look like Joe Montana in his prime. I could easily see any of the AFC West Playoff Teams shredding this "swiss cheese secondary" and nonexistent pass rush in the playoffs.

Many years the Pats make the playoffs, the offense and TB12 are fine, but the defense is mediocre. It's no coincidence that the year NE had a great defense with great corners (2014)... they won a SB. Then the defense was dismantled and not adequately replaced...

A couple memorable games:

First NYG Super Bowl: 17-14 loss
2nd: 21-17 loss
First Den AFC championship: 26-16 loss
2nd: 20-18 loss

I would say offense is the issue in these games.

Our opponents had the better defensive talent in all 4 of those losses. Swap the defenses and we win.

Include the Ravens and Jets losses and the list grows. There will be games where the opposing defense is playing so well that points will be sparse. Games like the 17-14 Super Bowl win against the Rams, or the 17-14 second-round win against Steve McNair's Titans in 2004.

It's so hard to beat a hot defense in the playoffs. Dominant defenses win championships. Brady keeps us competitive, but when a team is playing as well as the Broncos were in the playoffs last year, there is literally nowhere to throw the ball.

Hard to fault our offense when those same opposing teams go on to beat everyone else on their way to win championships.

« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2016, 12:47:50 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If we don't make the Super Bowl, it won't necessarily be because of Gronk being injured (they've already played like 4-5 games this season without him and have fared well). I have faith Bennett will continue carrying the load, Malcolm Mitchell is stepping up and now Amendola might have a bigger role as well.

THE DEFENSE THOUGH, DEAR LORD..., they make struggling QBs look like Joe Montana in his prime. I could easily see any of the AFC West Playoff Teams shredding this "swiss cheese secondary" and nonexistent pass rush in the playoffs.

Many years the Pats make the playoffs, the offense and TB12 are fine, but the defense is mediocre. It's no coincidence that the year NE had a great defense with great corners (2014)... they won a SB. Then the defense was dismantled and not adequately replaced...

Our opponents had the better defensive talent in all 4 of those losses. Swap the defenses and we win.

Include the Ravens losses and the list grows. There will be games where the opposing defense is playing so well that points will be sparse. Games like the 17-14 Super Bowl win against the Rams, or the 17-14 second-round win against Steve McNair's Titans in 2004.

It's so hard to beat a hot defense in the playoffs. Dominant defenses win championships. Brady keeps us competitive, but when a team is playing as well as the Broncos were in the playoffs last year, there is literally nowhere to throw the ball.

Hard to fault our offense when those same opposing teams go on to beat everyone else on their way to win championships.
I could be made to look like a total idiot here, because I havent looked up any TOP numbers, but I believe the book on beating the patriots has been to keep the ball out of bradys hands and hope you can keep Brady out of rythym long enough that you he either doesnt have time to come back or you have a chance to win it against our defense.

and look at that. I was totally wrong about TOP.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2016, 12:58:06 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Include the Ravens losses and the list grows. There will be games where the opposing defense is playing so well that points will be sparse. Games like the 17-14 Super Bowl win against the Rams, or the 17-14 second-round win against Steve McNair's Titans in 2004.

I could be made to look like a total idiot here, because I havent looked up any TOP numbers, but I believe the book on beating the patriots has been to keep the ball out of bradys hands and hope you can keep Brady out of rythym long enough that you he either doesnt have time to come back or you have a chance to win it against our defense.
I've always thought the whole "keep the ball out of their hands" thing is really just code for "play good defense, and exploit the other team's bad defense."

If you're limiting Brady's time of possession and keeping him out of rhythm then you're probably playing very good defense.

Likewise is you have a lot of long drives against the pats it likely means the Pats D isn't playing too well.

Those are ingredients for success against any club.

« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2016, 10:50:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
It's like Cyrus Jones did everything he could to get a foot on that ball. I guess we should probably say our good-byes to him tonight.

And now Slater with the kick-off fumble. I think they just need to play without anybody receiving kicks.

Without those fumbles and the ridiculous INT by Brady, the Pats would be up by quite a bit more. Will be really said if we lose this one.

« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It's like Cyrus Jones did everything he could to get a foot on that ball. I guess we should probably say our good-byes to him tonight.

And now Slater with the kick-off fumble. I think they just need to play without anybody receiving kicks.

Without those fumbles and the ridiculous INT by Brady, the Pats would be up by quite a bit more. Will be really said if we lose this one.
Id be shocked to see jones cut if thats the implication.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

If this were his first mistake, but he's hsd 4.

They really need to see something special in him to keep him on this roster going forward.

« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2016, 11:17:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

If this were his first mistake, but he's hsd 4.

They really need to see something special in him to keep him on this roster going forward.

I suppose they kept him after the first three fumbles so anything is possible. BB doesn't usually have much patience for butter-finger players.

Edit: huge let down again for Jones...

« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2016, 11:18:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Pats D has been on the field this entire hslf. They are buckling