Author Topic: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"  (Read 62617 times)

Re: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You have seemed to highly rate some players that had better raw stats like Randle and Okafor (and Noel when he went on a steal and block binge) than some of the guys that maybe are doing more intangible stuff. I'm not the first person to notice this trend. Heck when I get heavy into fantasy football or basketball i start rating some guys higher in my mind overall than they probably are. It is a natural thing.
Yeah, I notice when players start going on tears.  I've started a few threads about Olynyk's shooting over the past couple years.   I posted a thread last year during Avery's month-long tear.  I started a thread about Jae Crowder's massive improvements. 

I've also started threads about advanced stats... it's like people forget when me and BBallEd used to argue about Rondo.  I was adamant that KG was more important to our success and frequently mentioned all the advanced defensive stats that proved his impact was more significant. 

The narrative you're latching onto is just typical nonsense perpetuated by narrow visioned instigators who like to troll me, because they think I'm a troll. 

Also, fwiw, Noel's defensive impact went beyond steals and blocks his rookie season.  He was pretty high in defensive rating and supposedly the 76ers had the #1 defense in the league in minutes Noel was on the court.  If we somehow got him while keeping Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Brown, it would be pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:14:40 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
There's nothing here that wasn't admitted by Bryan Colangelo back in July.  Everyone knows they would prefer to move one of the bigs for an equal value at a position of need.  Nobody has offered equal value at a position of need, so the bigs remain.  Here's actual quotes from Colangelo:

"There's no question you can look at our roster and say we have some unbalance," said Bryan Colangelo. "We're top heavy. We have some good talent there."

"We have to figure out what we're going to do with everybody. When you look at the calls coming in, quite frankly, everyone's trying to poach a big man from us."

"We're not going to make a bad deal just to make a deal. I think we can be a better basketball team if we can distribute that talent better. Maybe take one of those assets and address other needs on the roster. I think right now it's best to say we like all of them, we want to see if we can make the most out of each of them. At the end of the day, the reality says one has to go at some point but only when the deal is right."

So I guess the question is... what if the deal is never right?  Well then maybe you see them bend over and do a pennies on the dollar deal like Okafor for Smart + Rozier, but until then it seems Philly is waiting for someone to give them what they see as equal value.

You never cease to amaze me.

90% of the board knew what he was doing there at this point...
I genuinely believe Okafor should have significantly more trade value right now than Smart + Rozier. 

I think that could (and hopefully does) change this season.  Smart needs a break-out year and I'm optimistic he'll do it.  I have hope in Rozier's ability as well.  But based on what Okafor, Smart and Rozier have done thus far - that's a pennies on the dollar deal.  We would have gladly made that move at several points over the past year+.

I honestly don't believe that you think that. When national unaffiliated with either team writers suggest rozier and a late first is a reasonable offer, it is hard to believe somebody really believes the rozier and a recent lottery pick that has shown good defensive chops is only pennies for okafor. I don't really think anyone that follows that NBA can reasonably believe that.

https://theringer.com/who-wants-jahlil-okafor-303e9d13169#.i4nir8lur

Celtics would be able to piece together an attractive package without sacrificing Jaylen Brown, their pick swap with the Nets next season, or the 2018 first-rounder Brooklyn will be sending them. There’s a lot for the Sixers to choose from: Terry Rozier, Demetrius Jackson, James Young, R.J. Hunter, Marcus Thornton, Guerschon Yabusele, Ben Bentil, Jordan Mickey, Ante Zizic, and future picks. The Celtics are as well positioned as anyone to take a gamble on

Okafor
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:30:49 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
There's nothing here that wasn't admitted by Bryan Colangelo back in July.  Everyone knows they would prefer to move one of the bigs for an equal value at a position of need.  Nobody has offered equal value at a position of need, so the bigs remain.  Here's actual quotes from Colangelo:

"There's no question you can look at our roster and say we have some unbalance," said Bryan Colangelo. "We're top heavy. We have some good talent there."

"We have to figure out what we're going to do with everybody. When you look at the calls coming in, quite frankly, everyone's trying to poach a big man from us."

"We're not going to make a bad deal just to make a deal. I think we can be a better basketball team if we can distribute that talent better. Maybe take one of those assets and address other needs on the roster. I think right now it's best to say we like all of them, we want to see if we can make the most out of each of them. At the end of the day, the reality says one has to go at some point but only when the deal is right."

So I guess the question is... what if the deal is never right?  Well then maybe you see them bend over and do a pennies on the dollar deal like Okafor for Smart + Rozier, but until then it seems Philly is waiting for someone to give them what they see as equal value.

I genuinely believe Okafor should have significantly more trade value right now than Smart + Rozier. 

I think that could (and hopefully does) change this season.  Smart needs a break-out year and I'm optimistic he'll do it.  I have hope in Rozier's ability as well.  But based on what Okafor, Smart and Rozier have done thus far - that's a pennies on the dollar deal.  We would have gladly made that move at several points over the past year+.

I honestly don't believe that you think that.
Clay, I genuinely do.   I'm hopeful about Smart's potential (players often make leaps in their 3rd year), but I think if we could snag Okafor for Smart and a guy who was considered a reach at 16 and spent his entire season in d-league last year - we'd already have Okafor.  And I don't think it's baseless to believe that.  There's been whispers that Smart was available in a package to move up in the 2015 draft with Okafor as the ultimate goal... and while Okafor may have lost some perceived trade value, there's little real reason to believe Smart's gained some.  It was essentially reported that we offered a large package built around the Brooklyn pick for Okafor at the trade deadline this year (well after he lost his perceived trade value) and Philly turned us down.  I feel like Smart had less trade value than that Brooklyn pick.

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Clay, I genuinely do.   I'm hopeful about Smart's potential (players often make leaps in their 3rd year), but I think if we could snag Okafor for Smart and a guy who was considered a reach at 16 and spent his entire season in d-league last year - we'd already have Okafor.  And I don't think it's baseless to believe that.  There's been whispers that Smart was available in a package to move up in the 2015 draft with Okafor as the ultimate goal... and while Okafor may have lost some perceived trade value, there's little real reason to believe Smart's gained some.  It was essentially reported that we offered a large package built around the Brooklyn pick for Okafor at the trade deadline this year (well after he lost his perceived trade value) and Philly turned us down.  I feel like Smart had less trade value than that Brooklyn pick.

Even if I am going to pretend you believe that, the pennies on the dollar is obviously hyperbole. That would mean you think Rozier, Smart and a first or something else is actually dollars for dollars? That doesn't make sense to anyone.

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2016, 02:57:24 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I honestly don't believe that you think that. When national unaffiliated with either team writers suggest rozier and a late first is a reasonable offer, it is hard to believe somebody really believes the rozier and a recent lottery pick that has shown good defensive chops is only pennies for okafor. I don't really think anyone that follows that NBA can reasonably believe that.

Celtics would be able to piece together an attractive package without sacrificing Jaylen Brown, their pick swap with the Nets next season, or the 2018 first-rounder Brooklyn will be sending them. There’s a lot for the Sixers to choose from: Terry Rozier, Demetrius Jackson, James Young, R.J. Hunter, Marcus Thornton, Guerschon Yabusele, Ben Bentil, Jordan Mickey, Ante Zizic, and future picks. The Celtics are as well positioned as anyone to take a gamble on

Okafor

Rozier and a late pick for Okafor??? Wow. I don't believe that one.

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Okafor

I don't either and the trade packages in that post have significantly different value, which makes the entire article silly and unbelievable.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Okafor

I think some people are really high on Rozier. I am not a professional NBA scout and don't see his practices or workouts so I don't really know. I do know he actually looked like he belonged on the court in the playoffs last year and is 22. I think he is pretty athletic and has decent size for a pg. There is a chance he turns into a really good player.

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I have to second that. From Philly's point of view, I need more than Smart and unproven Rozier.

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2016, 03:59:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You have seemed to highly rate some players that had better raw stats like Randle and Okafor (and Noel when he went on a steal and block binge) than some of the guys that maybe are doing more intangible stuff. I'm not the first person to notice this trend. Heck when I get heavy into fantasy football or basketball i start rating some guys higher in my mind overall than they probably are. It is a natural thing.

That's a very accurate representation. He overrates players on bad teams because they put up traditional numbers/fantasy stats, but fails to recognize that those players are only getting those opportunities/minutes because they're on a bad team in the first place. I honestly can't recall him ever overrating a player on a playoff team. However, let some scrub put up some stats and this guy leaves puddles of drool all over the forum howling at the moon on how the said player is better than a Smart, Rozier, Brown, etc.

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I have to second that. From Philly's point of view, I need more than Smart and unproven Rozier.

Welp i think the easy answer to that would be "good luck with that"

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I wouldn't blame Philly for needing more than Smart and Rozier right now. But I don't think the value is that far apart either. And I think Smart/Rozier (one or the other or both) is likely to increase in value faster than Okafor in Philly. Value isn't static so when a deal eventually is made, it will be made on perceived value at the time of the deal.

I also wouldn't blame Boston for not doing a Smart and Rozier for Okafor. Personally I'd prefer one of them with a Boston pick because I like to win trades.

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

That's a very accurate representation. He overrates players on bad teams because they put up traditional numbers/fantasy stats, but fails to recognize that those players are only getting those opportunities/minutes because they're on a bad team in the first place. I honestly can't recall him ever overrating a player on a playoff team. However, let some scrub put up some stats and this guy leaves puddles of drool all over the forum howling at the moon on how the said player is better than a Smart, Rozier, Brown, etc.
Smart has gotten plenty of minutes.  Smart's numbers aren't better because he is a terrible shooter, doesn't pass all that well, etc. not because he isn't getting minutes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If its the Memphis first rounder in addition  To  Rozier and Smart  is that really a deal breaker for you.

We are losing Smarts elite defense yes, but we still have Bradley, Crowder, Brown, Thomas, Jackson.

Okafor, Horford, Zeller
 Kelly, Amir, Jonas

I would say that balances both teams very well.

Philly

Embiid
 Noel
 Simmons
 Smart
 Rozier

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Smart has gotten plenty of minutes.  Smart's numbers aren't better because he is a terrible shooter, doesn't pass all that well, etc. not because he isn't getting minutes.
theres plenty of evidence that there is a direct correlation between increased scoring efficiency and better surrounding talent.   I'm not sure why anyone would possibly believe Marcus smart's shooting percentages would be better on Philly last year with zero help surrounding him.  It makes no sense. 

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2016, 04:28:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

If its the Memphis first rounder in addition  To  Rozier and Smart  is that really a deal breaker for you.

We are losing Smarts elite defense yes, but we still have Bradley, Crowder, Brown, Thomas, Jackson.

Okafor, Horford, Zeller
 Kelly, Amir, Jonas

I would say that balances both teams very well.

Philly

Embiid
 Noel
 Simmons
 Smart
 Rozier
i just don't know why philly would move the guy who projects to be their main offensive weapon next year for a backup guard who can't shoot and another backup guard who hasn't even proven he can play on the NBA level.