Author Topic: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"  (Read 62484 times)

Re: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There's nothing here that wasn't admitted by Bryan Colangelo back in July.  Everyone knows they would prefer to move one of the bigs for an equal value at a position of need.  Nobody has offered equal value at a position of need, so the bigs remain.  Here's actual quotes from Colangelo:

"There's no question you can look at our roster and say we have some unbalance," said Bryan Colangelo. "We're top heavy. We have some good talent there."

"We have to figure out what we're going to do with everybody. When you look at the calls coming in, quite frankly, everyone's trying to poach a big man from us."

"We're not going to make a bad deal just to make a deal. I think we can be a better basketball team if we can distribute that talent better. Maybe take one of those assets and address other needs on the roster. I think right now it's best to say we like all of them, we want to see if we can make the most out of each of them. At the end of the day, the reality says one has to go at some point but only when the deal is right."

So I guess the question is... what if the deal is never right?  Well then maybe you see them bend over and do a pennies on the dollar deal like Okafor for Smart + Rozier, but until then it seems Philly is waiting for someone to give them what they see as equal value.

That would be multiple dollars on the dollar. The 76ers would poo themselves if they could get smart alone. Maybe they do get rozier and a late first if they are really lucky.
Yeah I don't agree with that.  I don't think Smart makes much sense for that team.  They desperately need shooting and Smart is coming off a historically bad shooting season. A deal build around Bradley would at least make logical sense from what Philly is likely looking for. 

Personally, I'm high on Bradley.  I think he's a sleeper All-Star candidate next year.  I get a feeling other teams don't value Bradley appropriately right now.  So I don't know if either team would be all that anxious to make a deal centered on a Bradley package for Okafor.

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2016, 07:13:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I would NOT trade Brown or Smart , Crowder , Horford or Bradley ......I guess we gotta keep IT ,  long as IT remains good.  Hopefully they over look Nader.

The rest are fair game Rozier , Hunter , Young ,KO, Amir

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2016, 07:13:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I would not trade Brown or Smart , Crowder , Horford or Bradley ......I guess we gotta keep IT ,  long as IT remains good.

The rest are fair game.
What about future picks?

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2016, 07:18:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I would not trade Brown or Smart , Crowder , Horford or Bradley ......I guess we gotta keep IT ,  long as IT remains good.

The rest are fair game.
What about future picks?

No Nets pick.....that seems too much for me .  Lesser firsts for Noel....

I think Noel off the bench for Horford would be killer.

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The rest are fair game.
What about future picks?

No Nets pick.....that seems too much for me .  Lesser firsts for Noel....

I think Noel off the bench for Horford would be killer.
We still dont' really have a rim protector.  Noel and Horford together (along with Bradley, Smart, Crowder) would be a pretty amazing defensive lineup.  I can see why the Jaylen Brown for Noel rumors started up. 

I would strongly prefer to get Noel (or Okafor) for much less than Philly wants.

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2016, 07:25:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Okafor will be the one pick that really comes back to bite hinkie... it is his sam bowie. Porzingas will be a perennial all star

Hinkie be like

Okafor is a champion.  I'd be glad to have him here.  Hopefully we are able to snag him this Summer.  I'm worried he's going to make a leap next season and the ship will sail. 

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
yea you have said that a few hundred times. Why not contribute by saying what teams you think would want him and would give a decent price for him?

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
yea you have said that a few hundred times. Why not contribute by saying what teams you think would want him and would give a decent price for him?
Other than Boston (who reportedly was turned down when they offered a major package built around the 2016 Brooklyn pick 7 months ago), my wild guess is that the Suns or Lakers might have some interest.

I don't think anyone has yet offered an acceptable package by Philly's standards.  Otherwise he'd be gone already.

To your point about perception/supposed trade value dropping, I guess that just proves how quickly opinions can shift.  Last year Okafor won a National Championship as a Freshman and was widely believed to be one of the three best prospects in the draft.   Now suddenly we have people like you who think he's worth peanuts.   Philly would be wise to wait until next season to see if these fickle opinions shift back in the other direction. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:43:08 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Other than Boston (who reportedly was turned down when they offered a major package built around the 2016 Brooklyn pick 7 months ago), my wild guess is that the Suns or Lakers might have some interest.

I don't think anyone has yet offered an acceptable package by Philly's standards.  Otherwise he'd be gone already.

To your point about perception/supposed trade value dropping, I guess that just proves how quickly opinions can shift.  Last year Okafor won a National Championship as a Freshman and was widely believed to be one of the three best prospects in the draft.   Now suddenly we have people like you who think he's worth peanuts.   Philly would be wise to wait until next season to see if these fickle opinions shift back in the other direction.
So the Suns would presumably be giving up on Len in this scenario and possibly risking that Okafor and Bender could play together long term? Len was creeping up on averaging a double double the second half of the season and is 23 right now. Would it be worth them presumably moving other assets and Len to risk Okafor? That seems like a tough sell.

Are the Lakers going to give up Randle in this deal? It seems doubtful those two could play together much at all. Although I personally don't think Randle is a longterm star.

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

So the Suns would presumably be giving up on Len in this scenario and possibly risking that Okafor and Bender could play together long term? Len was creeping up on averaging a double double the second half of the season and is 23 right now. Would it be worth them presumably moving other assets and Len to risk Okafor? That seems like a tough sell.

Are the Lakers going to give up Randle in this deal? It seems doubtful those two could play together much at all. Although I personally don't think Randle is a longterm star.
i still think Okafor for d'Angelo Russell might make sense for both teams.

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

that's the 76er pipe dream that's for sure

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
The main problem is that Okafor is trash and it seems like a lot of teams are able to realize that, so they can't trade Okafor as easily as they wish.  Their best bet might be to wait until the next draft and move Okafor to a team that missed out on one of their intended big man targets, then re-sign Noel.  I think they'd be better off making Okafor come off the bench in a reduced role rather than trading him for the sake of trading him at the trade deadline if it means accepting a paltry return.
I agree. I think offers for Okafor will probably continue to be low until Philly pull the trigger on the best of the worst. You can't play him and Noel together, but you also just can't play Okafor by himself, unlike Noel.

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2016, 08:53:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

glad someone finally agrees with me that D'Angelo Russell looks like a future superstar.

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

glad someone finally agrees with me that D'Angelo Russell looks like a future superstar.

Future superstar? That's a bit much. But he did play pretty well whenever Kobe wasn't around, and I think he's got a solid future in this league.

However, that's the reason LA won't be trading him for Okafor. Russell has a skillset that can fit with a bunch of different play-styles. Okafor doesnt. The idea that LA would trade the guy they took INSTEAD of Okafor, for Okafor, is ridiculous. Never gonna happen. If Philly wants to trade Okafor for Larry Nance Jr. And Clarkson, then maybe. But he's not worth D'Angelo Russell, the same way he isn't worth Jaylen Brown.

I know you love you some Okafor LB, but he's just not very valuable around the league. And of Philly goes into this season with both him and Noel, his value will continue to plummet. Playing in Philly is seriously exposing all of Jahlil's flaws and accentuating none of his strengths. If they don't wanna take a Rozier/Hunter/2nd rounder kinda package, he'll just continue to lose trade value.

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2016, 10:51:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Future superstar? That's a bit much. But he did play pretty well whenever Kobe wasn't around, and I think he's got a solid future in this league.

However, that's the reason LA won't be trading him for Okafor. Russell has a skillset that can fit with a bunch of different play-styles. Okafor doesnt. The idea that LA would trade the guy they took INSTEAD of Okafor, for Okafor, is ridiculous. Never gonna happen. If Philly wants to trade Okafor for Larry Nance Jr. And Clarkson, then maybe. But he's not worth D'Angelo Russell, the same way he isn't worth Jaylen Brown.

I know you love you some Okafor LB, but he's just not very valuable around the league. And of Philly goes into this season with both him and Noel, his value will continue to plummet. Playing in Philly is seriously exposing all of Jahlil's flaws and accentuating none of his strengths. If they don't wanna take a Rozier/Hunter/2nd rounder kinda package, he'll just continue to lose trade value.
Honestly I think that's all kinds of ridiculous.  It was his rookie season.  He's 20 years old.  Yeah, the guy won a national championship last year, proved to be an incredible prospect, made all-rookie 1st team while averaging 17 points efficiently on a dumpster-fire of a roster, but the idea that he's a finished product who should be treated like a 28 year old veteran is all kinds of ridiculous.  He already was showing improvement last year. His floor is Al Jefferson.  Maybe that's all he ever becomes, but it makes no sense to insist that's the only route he can possibly take.  It's kind of bizarre to me that people focus on the flaws of a 20 year old stud, but overlook the flaws of someone like our very own Marcus Smart.  He's had a disappointing start and is coming off a historically bad shooting season after regressing his second season - yet there's literally someone in this thread who thinks Philly would be lucky to get Smart for Okafor.  It makes no sense.

There's a lot of young guys around the league I'd be excited about acquiring.  I'd love to snag Okafor.   He has major star potential.  I'd obviously love that to happen in Boston instead of Philly.

His perceived trade value could skyrocket as quickly as people claim it plummeted. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:59:28 PM by LarBrd33 »