Author Topic: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"  (Read 62187 times)

Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:21:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642771-nerlens-noel-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-star

Not really news to most of us here, but there are some here who still hold that the Sixers don't have to move anybody. Woj is reporting that the Sixers are very aware that Noel and Okafor are basically unplayable together, so their plan is to move one of them "eventually," which seems to read as soon as they can get a deal that isn't merely pennies on the dollar for either one of them.

It's pretty evident that they won't get anywhere near full value for either of them; otherwise, they'd assuredly be traded by now. So much for Hinkie's draft strategy to forego fit/position and just *always* take the best player available, even if you have two franchise players at that position already.

Re: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I wonder if them bringing back Elton brand yesterday revived the speculation.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:08:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hopefully we get one of them.

I think the 76ers will trade one when someone makes them what they consider a good offer. 

People think this means they will eventually trade one for a late 1st.  There's really no point to Philly doing that.  If that was really the best offer, they are better off making no move at all.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I've always been suspicious about the strategy of drafting the best player available. I know many GM's and coaches "say" that's how they draft, but this is an example where it didn't work.

When trading partners realize you "need" to trade a position player because you're too deep at that position, the value of the player reduces, as we're seeing in this situation.

It's obvious that GM's around the league know the 76er need to trade one of the many young center they've collected, and are taking advantage of the situation. 

Kind of similar to collecting too many future draft picks.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't see their problem with too many bigs as any worse than our "problem" with too many point guards or wings.

I think Philly might be making a mistake. The problem comes in paying all the talent. Not in having it

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Wowzers!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642771-nerlens-noel-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-star

Not really news to most of us here, but there are some here who still hold that the Sixers don't have to move anybody. Woj is reporting that the Sixers are very aware that Noel and Okafor are basically unplayable together, so their plan is to move one of them "eventually," which seems to read as soon as they can get a deal that isn't merely pennies on the dollar for either one of them.

It's pretty evident that they won't get anywhere near full value for either of them; otherwise, they'd assuredly be traded by now. So much for Hinkie's draft strategy to forego fit/position and just *always* take the best player available, even if you have two franchise players at that position already.

On what planet is Nerlens Noel currently considered a star (as in the title of this article)?

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Glad the Noel obsessed have a bit more rumor bait to chomp on.

On what planet is Nerlens Noel currently considered a star (as in the title of this article)?

The NBA has become the WWE I guess.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I really think the Embiid set back last summer really hurt the Sixers.  I don't think they were really planning on tanking last year and I don't think they would have taken Okafor if Embiid was healthy.  I also don't think Porzingis made much sense either so I think if they couldn't trade the pick they would have gone with Mudiay (they really wanted Russell, but the Lakers ruined that one).  But when Embiid went down again, Okafor became a fairly logical pick because at the time I think they believed Noel and Okafor would have been ok together (maybe not a great fit, but not the terrible fit they ended up being) and because they didn't know if Embiid was ever going to play. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've always been suspicious about the strategy of drafting the best player available. I know many GM's and coaches "say" that's how they draft, but this is an example where it didn't work.

When trading partners realize you "need" to trade a position player because you're too deep at that position, the value of the player reduces, as we're seeing in this situation.

It's obvious that GM's around the league know the 76er need to trade one of the many young center they've collected, and are taking advantage of the situation. 

That certainly seems to be the narrative, but last I checked Okafor and Noel were both on the 76ers... so teams don't seem to be taking advantage of the situation very well.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

By "eventually", I hope they mean before the trade deadline, because if they resign Noel for big money next summer he'd likely become much, much harder to deal (although the added years would help).  It seems like they'll either make a deal involving one of them before the deadline, or let Noel go next summer
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 03:04:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

That certainly seems to be the narrative, but last I checked Okafor and Noel were both on the 76ers... so teams don't seem to be taking advantage of the situation very well.

The longer they are on there there worse it becomes for the 76ers. Surelyyou can admit that? We already had Noel saying he would "welcome a trade" plus that great picture you uncovered about him wanting to be traded to boston. How long is it it until he demands a trade? Players that have demanded a trade almost never get close to a fair offer in return. The 76ers are staring down the league right now hoping that just one team will blink and give them an ok deal. Sadly for them it hasn't happened yet. I wonder if the teams are colluding together to screw over the 76ers in response to their long period of tanking.

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

The longer they are on there there worse it becomes for the 76ers. Surelyyou can admit that? We already had Noel saying he would "welcome a trade" plus that great picture you uncovered about him wanting to be traded to boston. How long is it it until he demands a trade? Players that have demanded a trade almost never get close to a fair offer in return. The 76ers are staring down the league right now hoping that just one team will blink and give them an ok deal. Sadly for them it hasn't happened yet. I wonder if the teams are colluding together to screw over the 76ers in response to their long period of tanking.

I agree, the 76er aren't getting a satisfactory return, in their eyes, for these high draft picks. The reason for this IMO is everyone knows they can't play them all, and they just can't let them sit on the bench, and wait for trade demands. The "rock and a hard place" comes to mind.

The colluding theory may have weight too.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't think drafting best player available is the problem here. The fact is both players have significant question marks that have little to do with their current team or each other. I just don't think their value is that high. Meanwhile Philly invested a lot in them and want as much in return as possible.

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The main problem is that Okafor is trash and it seems like a lot of teams are able to realize that, so they can't trade Okafor as easily as they wish.  Their best bet might be to wait until the next draft and move Okafor to a team that missed out on one of their intended big man targets, then re-sign Noel.  I think they'd be better off making Okafor come off the bench in a reduced role rather than trading him for the sake of trading him at the trade deadline if it means accepting a paltry return.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference