Author Topic: Jaylen Brown vs Josh Jackson/Jason Tatum/Jonathan Isaac  (Read 8790 times)

Jaylen Brown vs Josh Jackson/Jason Tatum/Jonathan Isaac
« on: September 05, 2016, 01:05:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Would Brown have been the 1st sf chosen for the 2017 draft if he stayed back another year?

Watching games/clips of these other three , they are nowhere near "physically ready" as Brown at the same age. Not as strong, quick or explosive.

Re: Jaylen Brown vs Josh Jackson/Jason Tatum/Jonathan Isaac
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm actually keeping a close eye on Jarrett Allen there is always a big man jumping up into the conversation of top 3 pick.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's interesting that Brown is only 4 months older than Jackson.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm really intrigued by Tatum and that Polish that the scout's keep praising. I expect Jackson to be about what a Jaylen type player.  Aso for Isaac he seems more of a PF to me right now.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Would Brown have been the 1st sf chosen for the 2017 draft if he stayed back another year?

Watching games/clips of these other three , they are nowhere near "physically ready" as Brown at the same age. Not as strong, quick or explosive.

I think so. He was a tier above everyone else besides Ingram and Simmons. Not unreasonable to think he could jump up two spots by staying behind for a year.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
To me, Josh Jackson looks a bit more advanced in his ability to drive to the basket than Jaylen was at that age. I really do believe though that Jaylen's going to have a Jimmy Butler like rise in ability once he starts learning how to use the offensive spacing in the NBA floor.

We'll see how Jackson plays at Kansas. That should be an interesting follow since some guys have underperformed in Bill Self's system lately. I don't get the impression that Self fits his system to his talent at times. Wiggins started taking off late in the year after they opened up the floor a bit and let him get out in transition toward the end of the season.

At this point Jaylen is good enough that I hope we end up with a guy like Fultz or Giles next year instead of a wing. With Brown and Crowder manning the spot our wing position is starting to look like it's in good hands.

As for the other 2 Tatum seems a bit soft defensively to fit into the culture but then maybe our other guys could make up for it.

I'm rooting for Simmons but would probably prefer to see him develop in we other market with less expecatations to compete right away. Think New Orleans would be a nice landing spot for him.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm really intrigued by Tatum and that Polish that the scout's keep praising. I expect Jackson to be about what a Jaylen type player.  Aso for Isaac he seems more of a PF to me right now.

Who is the Polish prospect that they keep praising?

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:56:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

I think so. He was a tier above everyone else besides Ingram and Simmons. Not unreasonable to think he could jump up two spots by staying behind for a year.
you keep saying this without any support at all for the notion that Brown was above everyone else.  In fact, most evidence, aside from Boston taking him, points exactly the opposite.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
As for the question, anything is possible, but often guys that are top tier picks that stay in school end up falling much further than if they would have come out originally.  Perry Jones and own Sullinger are great examples of this.  The extra year often lets flaws get discovered and those guys get nitpicked a great deal more (after all they have 2 years instead of 1).  Now if Brown stayed and set the world on fire, then it might not have done much to his draft stock, but that is the big risk there.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Looking at this draft class, it seems to be heavy with combo guards, PFs, and SFs.

I know the whole BPA argument, and this is stupidly early but what position will Danny target if he keeps the pick?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:16:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Looking at this draft class, it seems to be heavy with combo guards, PFs, and SFs.

I know the whole BPA argument, and this is stupidly early but what position will Danny target if he keeps the pick?

Hopefully not the guy who has had 10 knee surgeries.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Hopefully not the guy who has had 10 knee surgeries.

nah thats philly's job, especially if simmons ends up sitting the whole year
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
To me, Josh Jackson looks a bit more advanced in his ability to drive to the basket than Jaylen was at that age. I really do believe though that Jaylen's going to have a Jimmy Butler like rise in ability once he starts learning how to use the offensive spacing in the NBA floor.

We'll see how Jackson plays at Kansas. That should be an interesting follow since some guys have underperformed in Bill Self's system lately. I don't get the impression that Self fits his system to his talent at times. Wiggins started taking off late in the year after they opened up the floor a bit and let him get out in transition toward the end of the season.

At this point Jaylen is good enough that I hope we end up with a guy like Fultz or Giles next year instead of a wing. With Brown and Crowder manning the spot our wing position is starting to look like it's in good hands.

As for the other 2 Tatum seems a bit soft defensively to fit into the culture but then maybe our other guys could make up for it.

I'm rooting for Simmons but would probably prefer to see him develop in we other market with less expecatations to compete right away. Think New Orleans would be a nice landing spot for him.

Jaylen is.. younger?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Jaylen is.. younger? or barely older?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

you keep saying this without any support at all for the notion that Brown was above everyone else.  In fact, most evidence, aside from Boston taking him, points exactly the opposite.

From everything that I was reading leading up to the draft after Simmons and Ingram the 3rd Tier was fairly large with teams all having different views on who they would take 3rd. To say Brown was a tier above is simply not true.

I will say that if used properly this season at Cal (ie played more at the PF with Rabb at center) Brown would have had a monster season. Without alot of knowledge on Jackson/Tatum or Issac I belive Brown would have still gone top 3 despite being a years older. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet