Author Topic: Horford/Randle/Crowder/Bradley/Thomas  (Read 2555 times)

Horford/Randle/Crowder/Bradley/Thomas
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:28:50 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This is fair to bring up at this point because of Randle would start for us were as smart as a super defensive sub Off the Bench.

The defense would suffer but with Crowder/Bradley/Brown/Rozier we could absorb it.

Of course you could start Amir and bring Randle off the bench and run a lot of offense through him, but he probably starts as soon as he knows the system.

That was the classic offense Vs defense pick. Ainge chooses defense almost every time.

Re: Horford/Randle/Crowder/Bradley/Thomas
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
https://youtu.be/91xM5-crt0g

What's crazy about Randle is he has a better First Step than smart. He's quicker than smart and even a better ball-handler amazing skills for power forward.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:34:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If Ainge wanted that lineup, he would already have it.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:37:48 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Ah, the dreams.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
If randle were picked by ainge, you'd hear coach bo say his arms are too short. Or that he's undersized. Or that he plays zero defense

Which is true

But since we didn't pick him, he'd be a savior.  The "dream", even
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm skeptical of upper, but not elite prospects putting up nice stats on bad teams. This year's Lakers team is actually a good test. They signed a couple of [expensive] veterans that should improve their winning percentage; if they still suck, though, then I will attribute that to lack of growth in Randle, Russell, and Clarkson.

Being a year older and having other decent players on the team like Deng and [gulp] Mozgov should even things out a bit. Some say that there is a decent chance that they will still get their top 3 pick next year. If that happens, then people in LAL land should panic.

As far as Smart goes, he clearly does effect winning. Of course I would like to see better offensive production out of him, but he is exactly the kind of defensive and versatile player every team needs.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm skeptical of upper, but not elite prospects putting up nice stats on bad teams. This year's Lakers team is actually a good test. They signed a couple of [expensive] veterans that should improve their winning percentage; if they still suck, though, then I will attribute that to lack of growth in Randle, Russell, and Clarkson.

Being a year older and having other decent players on the team like Deng and [gulp] Mozgov should even things out a bit. Some say that there is a decent chance that they will still get their top 3 pick next year. If that happens, then people in LAL land should panic.

As far as Smart goes, he clearly does effect winning. Of course I would like to see better offensive production out of him, but he is exactly the kind of defensive and versatile player every team needs.
Even with some expected growth that Lakers team is still among the worst teams in the league.  I mean are they really much better than Brooklyn, Philly, and Phoenix. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Looks good in the highlights. Smart vs. Randle part deux

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm glad the lakers made stupid moves like picked up loul Deng. Dude is on the back 9 and all he'll do is take minutes from someone who probably could use them and your not winning anything of significance. It's like when we played Phil Pressey. Does nothing for the future of the franchise. Stunts it if anything.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 09:52:18 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I definitely think they're safely ahead of Brooklyn. Great stuff. Philly SHOULD be better too but it's Philly so who knows if they tank another year.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Is there some kind of reasonable trade idea or is this one of those Young, Hunter, and a mediocre future 1st Round pick deals? If it is, then I'm glad that today is the last day of August.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I definitely think they're safely ahead of Brooklyn. Great stuff. Philly SHOULD be better too but it's Philly so who knows if they tank another year.

fans of the NBA and fans of Philly should be p---ED if they tank another year, how long have they been tanking for? They got Ben Simmons, got Okfaor/Embiid. They should start competing instead of losing games.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sixers aren't taking, they just won't be very good. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
https://youtu.be/91xM5-crt0g

What's crazy about Randle is he has a better First Step than smart. He's quicker than smart and even a better ball-handler amazing skills for power forward.

Yeah, that simply just isn't true. It may look like it, but Smart is going against guards where Randle is going against bigs. Of course Randle will look quicker and have better ball-handling against bigs, but Smart is both quicker and has a much better handle than Randle.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Guys. I've watched Randle play so many times. I get the Lakers channel where I live. We really don't want him. He only has a left hand. He can't shoot jumpers. He's a nice rebounder but nothing else really elite. Doesn't play defense. Out of control at times, in that he just goes headfirst into the defense. Can't pass.

If you ask true lakers fans who know the game (i.e. the ones that look beyond the stat line and don't just say "oh randle double double stud"), a lot of them would prefer Larry Nance Jr. over Randle. They picked him 27th last year, 1 spot ahead of RJ. He was initially seen as just an athletic dunker. But he's a great defender, all around impact guy (a guy like Marcus, whose impact goes beyond the stat line), has seemingly developed a nice pick and pop combo with Russell (albeit just summer league, but improved jumper is always nice). Gets lots of steals and blocks, and also a high character guy who's battled back from having Crohn's disease. I'd much rather have Nance than Randle.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about