Author Topic: Jerebko and eSports  (Read 1636 times)

Jerebko and eSports
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/17421412/renegades-revived-celtics-forward-jonas-jerebko

For those that haven't seen it, i thought this was pretty cool. Best part of the story is how much he treats his "team" like a true sports team: investing in a training center, players' rights, etc.

Frankly this is all new to me... didn't realize that the sport had gotten this serious.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Jerebko and eSports
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
lol same. I didn't think eSports had gotten this big. Giving his team all these "facilities", if you will, is pretty sick.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Jerebko and eSports
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:33 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If you guys have any interest, you should check out something like The International, which is a huge tournament held for the game DOTA 2.  I am not a big player of the game, but it's basically a strategy RPG game based on team work.  It is so complex that most people I know who like it think you need to play at least 200 hours to have the slightest idea what you are doing.  1,000 + before you are any good at all.  These guys get in one location mostly and just play tons and tons of the game together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_(Dota_2)

Anyways, watching the last one was crazy.  There was $20 Mill in the prize pool this last year and the drama was real.  They also do a very legit broadcast with commentators and talking heads and it's funny to watch if you don't know the game because you really can't understand 80%+ of what the studio guys and commentators are saying as they are constantly using player lingo, ability names, item names, character names, etc.  Pretty funny to take in.  I was only so into it when I watched some of it but there is drama and excitement to be had.  I think purely as a spectacle it has a draw.

Games that he is investing in are a bit smaller, but I believe they mentioned League of Legends which is actually a bigger game and very similar to DOTA 2.

As someone into games and sports I find it interesting seeing games go this direction.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:11:23 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford