Author Topic: danny got us an all star that got us a 4 time all star  (Read 4006 times)

Re: danny got us an all star that got us a 4 time all star
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Ainge does a fine job evaluating pro talent, this is true.

It's the evaluation of college talent where this franchise struggles.
sorry to hear that you believe rondo, allen, jefferson, west, powe, bradley, olly, perk, rozier, smart, sully, green I, green II, gomes, brown, and moore cant carve out some sort of careers in the nba.

I agree and disagree, I think Danny gets a bad rap for his drafting when he rarely drafts in the lottery, his first time drafting in the early lottery was in 07 with Jeff Green which he traded away, I am not even sure if he made that draft choice or the Sonics did at that time.

His mid teen drafts has been solid in my honest opinion, at late teens early 20s what are you really looking for? It took Bradley a few before he even panned out, and I believe he even played overseas in Israel for a bit too if I remember correctly and remember reading he wasn't doing exactly great in that league either (someone please confirm if I am right?)

I think if you want to label Danny a complete draft failure is if he completely missed and struck out in lottery drafts where he was involved in which is Smart and Brown. Smart is in his 3rd year at pick #6 so who knows what his year 3 is but I think judging Danny at #6 with Smart in year 3 or 4 is fair given what other talents went before or after him (not including Wiggins or Parker).

Brown has not played yet so let's not completely judge Danny yet, I know coachbo hated the Brown pick and I know many people also did, but please just see the kid play first.
Bradley never played oversees.

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

sorry to hear that you believe rondo, allen, jefferson, west, powe, bradley, olly, perk, rozier, smart, sully, green I, green II, gomes, brown, and moore cant carve out some sort of careers in the nba.

I agree and disagree, I think Danny gets a bad rap for his drafting when he rarely drafts in the lottery, his first time drafting in the early lottery was in 07 with Jeff Green which he traded away, I am not even sure if he made that draft choice or the Sonics did at that time.

His mid teen drafts has been solid in my honest opinion, at late teens early 20s what are you really looking for? It took Bradley a few before he even panned out, and I believe he even played overseas in Israel for a bit too if I remember correctly and remember reading he wasn't doing exactly great in that league either (someone please confirm if I am right?)

I think if you want to label Danny a complete draft failure is if he completely missed and struck out in lottery drafts where he was involved in which is Smart and Brown. Smart is in his 3rd year at pick #6 so who knows what his year 3 is but I think judging Danny at #6 with Smart in year 3 or 4 is fair given what other talents went before or after him (not including Wiggins or Parker).

Brown has not played yet so let's not completely judge Danny yet, I know coachbo hated the Brown pick and I know many people also did, but please just see the kid play first.

actually i just checked, Bradley played 3 months in Israel during the last NBA lockout

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
...the building of a defensive identity buttressed by isaiah's awe inspiring offence ...

Rollie, showing some vocabulary chops.

Nice.

Oh and yes, scoring Thomas was a brilliant move.  So Ainge.  We shall see on Horford.  I feel pretty confident he is going to be a good player but not the kind of bargain that IT is.  We are paying Horford a ton for 4 years.  I see Horford as a nice move but not a great steal or anything like that.

Vermont it was a steal, because we gave up nothing but money to get him, and proved AllStar free agents will come to Boston. Sick pick up.

And we crushed Atlanta they just lost Horford and Teauge, two out if three of their best players.

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

actually i just checked, Bradley played 3 months in Israel during the last NBA lockout
Oh wow, I don't remember that at all.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
...the building of a defensive identity buttressed by isaiah's awe inspiring offence ...

Nice.

Oh and yes, scoring Thomas was a brilliant move.  So Ainge.  We shall see on Horford.  I feel pretty confident he is going to be a good player but not the kind of bargain that IT is.  We are paying Horford a ton for 4 years.  I see Horford as a nice move but not a great steal or anything like that.

Vermont it was a steal, because we gave up nothing but money to get him, and proved AllStar free agents will come to Boston. Sick pick up.

And we crushed Atlanta they just lost Horford and Teauge, two out if three of their best players.

I am not as high on Horford as you.  I think he is a nice player at a position of need and I expect good things but there is an opportunity cost for him.  No, we didn't trade anything but in year 2 or 3, his salary may prevent us signing someone else.

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 08:51:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
It seems like a lot of people were down on Horford and not very thrilled with potentially signing him, but have now talked themselves into the signing.  I don't remember very many positive comments about Horford during the playoffs.

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 10:27:20 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Nice.

I am not as high on Horford as you.  I think he is a nice player at a position of need and I expect good things but there is an opportunity cost for him.  No, we didn't trade anything but in year 2 or 3, his salary may prevent us signing someone else.

it wont be his salary that will prevent us from signing someone else. the caps going even higher, so thats not the problem. the problem will stem from the new contracts for Isaiah, Avery, KO, and Marcus. Those contracts are what will prevent us from signing someone else.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 10:31:52 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

jeez...

Any chance you get you jump all over than one
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 11:22:47 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Nice.

it wont be his salary that will prevent us from signing someone else. the caps going even higher, so thats not the problem. the problem will stem from the new contracts for Isaiah, Avery, KO, and Marcus. Those contracts are what will prevent us from signing someone else.

can't we wait to sign/extend them after we add another player? also Amir and JJ will be off the books.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Thanks Rollie for kind words on the other thread. As for LeBron, I'm not scared and he doesn't have to get injured. If the Celtics gel, we can beat anyone.

The big ifs for the C's are getting smaller. We want to know if Marcus Smart is good or great. There are a lot of players on the team who fit that category.

Danny deserves credit, but so does Brad. They are kind of like a two-headed monster always on the same page or willing to bend for the other guy's vision.

Brad forced Danny's hand into not being a cheater/tanker and to make buyer and improvement for the present trades. We have to thank Brooklyn. We might as well thank Kevin McHale while we're at it. Yet it was Danny who not only got the great player KG, he filled in that roster as good as anyone could have done. I thank young players such as Perk and Rondo who helped get us #17.

Danny is an aggressive gm, no doubt.

Brad Stevens is an aggressive coach. He was showing up for wins with Humphreys and Crawford. I don't know the insides of all these jobs- gm's, coaches, even players, but I still watch and try to make sense of it.

The truth is in the results. Whether Danny is a genius, lucky or above average, he is close to getting to the mountain top twice. Other teams like Sacramento never improve. I will give Toronto some respect. It is not easy to win in the NBA. You only need five guys, so we all know why everyone is clamoring for a superstar.

Isaiah is a superstar on offense. Horford made the all-star. I think Amir Johnson is completely underrated. I want to see Olynyk and Crowder do well to the point we wonder if they too are good or great.

After a while when everyone is good to great, it becomes a lot easier to beat teams top heavy with Lebron divas.

I think we will attack the traditional 60 win mark for great teams. I'll be surprised if we only win 45-50.

I think if everything pans out the way it looks, we could be the third best team behind Golden State and Cleveland. Then it is not so crazy to dream of a cinderella finish. Don't forget Brad got no-name Butler teams to Final Fours. He is a genius coach like Belichick at football. He is a scientist. I think Danny is more of a gambler always scheming.

Brad is like Spock, very logical, yet still half human. Danny is pure Captain Kirk. It's working. I admit I'm biased with green goggles, but I still have the same two eyes as everyone else and like you, I see what moves Danny has made and how they keep working out.