Author Topic: danny got us an all star that got us a 4 time all star  (Read 4014 times)

danny got us an all star that got us a 4 time all star
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:30:57 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the addition of isaiah scuppered our chance in the lottery that year and we failed to get winslow
danny knew that getting isaiah wold harm his defacto tanking but the chance to get isaiah was to good to pass up
without the resulting over achievement team wise,the building of a defensive identity buttressed by isaiah's awe inspiring offence and the acclaim brad was to receive or without isaiah's all star appearance

simply put, there would be no horford  and there would have been no durant look see-
isaiah's unique skills and effort don't end on court but he is infectious with his personality, love of the game and now love of boston fans,history and organization

if  rozier produces, the winslow fiasco will be forgotten as jaylen is that replacement
maybe a segment of posters would have preferred a philly tank
myself, i prefer danny's route-winning culture,chippy defensive  identity,pace and team
 he is a master of identifying misused undervalued talent with brad slotting in the players jerebko,green,amir
now we have two players stashed overseas and nader with red claws
ready to join next years nets pick

i don't know who has more moves danny or isaiah 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:35:02 AM by rollie mass »

Re: danny got us an all star that got us a 4 time all star
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Ainge does a fine job evaluating pro talent, this is true.

It's the evaluation of college talent where this franchise struggles.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:32:22 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm always saying Danny is by far the most valuable asset to the Celtics. Stevens is good but great coaches even get fired all the time , get replaced and even improve. . I'd be depressed and have no real faith in the future of the Celtics if Danny stepped down. I only wish he'd tighten the reigns in Brad and make him stop with playing guys like pressey, Sully. I'm hoping this year he can look a little more towards future and give guys with potential more time. Maybe that falls in Danny to get that message across. I can't imagine he was happy with some of the playing g time dispersal.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The strategy with getting IT was that he was a significant upgrade in talent (and PHO had too many guards anyway).  Now the man should get paid. His "back up the Brinks truck" comment was a fun way to say, "c'mon guys I think I deserve it" given all the crazy contracts being handed out.  IT will play this season on his bargain contract, but expect him to be unhappy if DA doesn't renegotiate it after the season.  This brings in new complexities with the cap.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
...the building of a defensive identity buttressed by isaiah's awe inspiring offence ...

Rollie, showing some vocabulary chops.

Nice.

Oh and yes, scoring Thomas was a brilliant move.  So Ainge.  We shall see on Horford.  I feel pretty confident he is going to be a good player but not the kind of bargain that IT is.  We are paying Horford a ton for 4 years.  I see Horford as a nice move but not a great steal or anything like that.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:14:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
danny wanted winslow,his kind of player, is it possible from eye test the jaylen has quicker first step and faster in open court-please correct me on this,there is also no vertical on jaylen-

sometimes, i wish those numbers of draft position didn't have any significance after the draft
can danny be as astute and experienced as he is and get fooled-or did position in draft, age or size and potential upside determine his pick
did danny overlook jacksons  lack of  left hand and thinks d league will fix that

,zizic a young 7 footer that has motor and rebounds an already experienced 19 yr old playing against men, does he believe this boy is satisfied with his lack of offensive game or that he will build that
did danny give bentil a partial contract so if he doesn't make roster somebody might not pick him up
we will find out soon who the basketball players are despite where they were drafted-

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:25:16 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny got us five all stars and a championship. Would have had two more if not for Rondo and Perk's injuries.
And we still have cap space and the two Brooklyn picks.
Drafting could be better, though.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Danny got us five all stars and a championship. Would have had two more if not for Rondo and Perk's injuries.

I agree with this.

My argument is simple, 09 we probably would've lost to the Lakers, probably in 6-7 games, that team was just hungry. 2010, no one can convince me if KG didn't get injured in 09 and Perk didn't go down, that series would end in 5-6 games in our favor. You can obviously see KG lost a step or two after his injury in 09 against Utah. I still remember that vividly, he went for the alley and then hopped into the locker room, and came back for just one game before sitting the rest of the year out. Perk and KG healthy would win that series

another tricky one is 2011 against Miami, a healthy Shaq/Marquis Daniels would keep the team intact with Nate Robinson. JO and Perk off the bench? Man that team would've destroyed their way into the finals, unfortunately the Daniels neck injury that had Danny push the panic button

Also agree with the picks, I love Danny, but given his draft positions, he has done pretty well. He hasn't really drafted in the lottery until Smart, and now Brown (Green was traded for Ray Ray). So I guess this is the year we judge Danny on Smart? being in his 3rd year, I hope and expect a breakout year. But then again, At 6, I think your only comparison is the people going 2 before and below Smart, like Exum, Randle, Gordon etc, not Wiggins, Parker

Brown will be the most closely looked at player because he is picked in the top 3, with many many people even outside of the Celtics loved Dunn (personally I am still on the "if we had first pick, Simmons, but 2nd, I would still pick Brown" train).

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

I agree with this.

My argument is simple, 09 we probably would've lost to the Lakers, probably in 6-7 games, that team was just hungry. 2010, no one can convince me if KG didn't get injured in 09 and Perk didn't go down, that series would end in 5-6 games in our favor. You can obviously see KG lost a step or two after his injury in 09 against Utah. I still remember that vividly, he went for the alley and then hopped into the locker room, and came back for just one game before sitting the rest of the year out. Perk and KG healthy would win that series

another tricky one is 2011 against Miami, a healthy Shaq/Marquis Daniels would keep the team intact with Nate Robinson. JO and Perk off the bench? Man that team would've destroyed their way into the finals, unfortunately the Daniels neck injury that had Danny push the panic button

Also agree with the picks, I love Danny, but given his draft positions, he has done pretty well. He hasn't really drafted in the lottery until Smart, and now Brown (Green was traded for Ray Ray). So I guess this is the year we judge Danny on Smart? being in his 3rd year, I hope and expect a breakout year. But then again, At 6, I think your only comparison is the people going 2 before and below Smart, like Exum, Randle, Gordon etc, not Wiggins, Parker

Brown will be the most closely looked at player because he is picked in the top 3, with many many people even outside of the Celtics loved Dunn (personally I am still on the "if we had first pick, Simmons, but 2nd, I would still pick Brown" train).

I think 09 we would have cruised to a six game title. With Perk and without refs going crazy in the 4th qtr I think we still would have won. That was out of control. I love Danny. To me his biggest mistake was actually trusting in Shaq. He let every team down despite his greatness after Miami. Even before he just let his weight go. I've always understood and respected Kobe's dislike for Shaq even though Kobe is a toolbar himself.

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:16 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I agree with this.

I think 09 we would have cruised to a six game title. With Perk and without refs going crazy in the 4th qtr I think we still would have won. That was out of control. I love Danny. To me his biggest mistake was actually trusting in Shaq. He let every team down despite his greatness after Miami. Even before he just let his weight go. I've always understood and respected Kobe's dislike for Shaq even though Kobe is a toolbar himself.

I think that is fair, you can argue that Kobe has very good work ethics, his footwork is unreal in today's game, you can also tell by his longevity in the NBA vs Shaq. I think had Shaq lost 20-30 lb he would've been "healthier" for the season.

The reason I argue 09 is because the way LA cruised in the playoffs and they just REALLY wanted it, I mean, I have to say, the finals against Orlando was one of the worst Finals I have seen. Pau and a healthy Bynum (kinda). But then again, I also see your point in 09, because Artest wasn't on that team yet as he was still with Rockets, therefore, there would be no one to stop Pierce or slow him down, Pierce would have a good series again like 08. I think that was also the year Leon Powe went down and Big Baby stepped up, perhaps some new fire power off the bench, and more Eddie House shooting, didn't he had a 10/10 from 3 in one game against Orlando? Though I think losing Posey would hurt a bit

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Yeah I wasn't a fan of not paying Posey. Loved him. Void of ego. Total team player. Ice  in his veins.

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 12:21:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree with this.

not to be picky but that was 2010.  Having Perk for the end of game 6 or for game 7 and we win that year.

2009 was the year KG was injured.  A healthy KG and Leon Powe in the playoffs gets us the title.  Just having a healthy Leon would have been enough to get us past Orlando that year.

the core of that team should have been a 3-peat barring those injuries.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Every time I read one of Rollie's posts I get anxiety. I am out of breath by paragraph 2. Haha

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 03:02:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

sorry to hear that you believe rondo, allen, jefferson, west, powe, bradley, olly, perk, rozier, smart, sully, green I, green II, gomes, brown, and moore cant carve out some sort of careers in the nba.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

sorry to hear that you believe rondo, allen, jefferson, west, powe, bradley, olly, perk, rozier, smart, sully, green I, green II, gomes, brown, and moore cant carve out some sort of careers in the nba.

I agree and disagree, I think Danny gets a bad rap for his drafting when he rarely drafts in the lottery, his first time drafting in the early lottery was in 07 with Jeff Green which he traded away, I am not even sure if he made that draft choice or the Sonics did at that time.

His mid teen drafts has been solid in my honest opinion, at late teens early 20s what are you really looking for? It took Bradley a few before he even panned out, and I believe he even played overseas in Israel for a bit too if I remember correctly and remember reading he wasn't doing exactly great in that league either (someone please confirm if I am right?)

I think if you want to label Danny a complete draft failure is if he completely missed and struck out in lottery drafts where he was involved in which is Smart and Brown. Smart is in his 3rd year at pick #6 so who knows what his year 3 is but I think judging Danny at #6 with Smart in year 3 or 4 is fair given what other talents went before or after him (not including Wiggins or Parker).

Brown has not played yet so let's not completely judge Danny yet, I know coachbo hated the Brown pick and I know many people also did, but please just see the kid play first.