Author Topic: I have an islamophobic, valor stealing, uncle.  (Read 6144 times)

I have an islamophobic, valor stealing, uncle.
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
He's really starting to p--- me off. I know for a fact he didn't make it through Marine bootbcamp for whatever reason, but he's on Facebook totally fronting like a Marine veteran. Posting stuff like, "Once a Marine, always a Marine" and crap like that. Plus, he posts all this anti-Muslim propaganda. I have a good relationship with him, he doesn't talk or act like that when I'm with him at family events, but on Facebook he's a total DB. I have very little tolerance for Stolen Valor, and I'm not even a military veteran. What do, Celticsblog? I'm disgusted but I do not want a family problem.

Edit - He's 55 years old.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: I have an islamophobic, valor stealing, uncle.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's really starting to p--- me off. I know for a fact he didn't make it through Marine bootbcamp for whatever reason, but he's on Facebook totally fronting like a Marine veteran. Posting stuff like, "Once a Marine, always a Marine" and crap like that. Plus, he posts all this anti-Muslim propaganda. I have a good relationship with him, he doesn't talk or act like that when I'm with him at family events, but on Facebook he's a total DB. I have very little tolerance for Stolen Valor, and I'm not even a military veteran. What do, Celticsblog? I'm disgusted but I do not want a family problem.

Disown him.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
People like that are not worth confronting because they're set in their ways and not open to a point of view that differs from theirs, no matter how convincing the evidence is. Your best option is to edit your Facebook settings to prevent any of his posts from showing up in your news feed.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:56:22 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Disown him.

Easier said then done. He's at every family event.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
People like that are not worth confronting because they're set in their ways and not open to a point of view that differs from theirs, no matter how convincing the evidence is. Your best option is to edit your Facebook settings to prevent any of his posts from showing up in your news feed.
I agree.  I have started to block people that post manure I don't like.  I'm not changing their mind and they sure as heck aren't changing mine.  My Facebook feed is for me, no one else, and I'll make it what I want to see.

Interesting that he's not that way in person.  It's all too easy for people to hide behind their on-line persona.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I agree.  I have started to block people that post manure I don't like.  I'm not changing their mind and they sure as heck aren't changing mine.  My Facebook feed is for me, no one else, and I'll make it what I want to see.

Interesting that he's not that way in person.  It's all too easy for people to hide behind their on-line persona.

And just allow him to continue to fool people into thinking he's a veteran?

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well depending on how the military views the status of people in boot camp, he might've actually been "once a Marine".  :)

In reality there isn't much you can do but just block the guy - based on my experiences, calling him out has a 90+% chance of giving you a jumbo cone full of absurd rationalization and unhinged vitriol swirl, plus seriously damaging a relationship with a guy you seem to get along with offline.  People don't get that way by being openminded toward any kind of outside point of view no matter how politely or factually it's presented.  It's best just to block him and maybe privately roll your eyes with a sympathetic family member.

What is it with FB and crazy uncles anyway?  My wife and I both have families who are mostly very reasonable about how they do their politics on there - meaning politely and thoughtfully or not at all - but she's got an uncle whose entire family has blocked him for doing this stuff and I have one who'd be in the same boat if he didn't think social media was a government conspiracy.  And just about everybody else seems to have one too.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 07:06:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

You have two options.

(1) Ignore it. Which is not the same as accepting it but you're doing so to try to keep family peace.

(2) Do the moral thing and confront him the next time he lies or posts something bigoted. Be prepared for the inevitable family blow-back however.

Personally, I'd go with the second option. I hate bigotry. I'm not so worried about his faking his service - unless he's receiving benefits for it then he's not doing anything illegal - but I believe in standing up for what's right. Which means confronting prejudice when it's presented. This tends to come from me being a minority. I'm no SJW but I'll be [dang]ed if I put up with naked bigotry. And if members of the family don't like it, well...screw 'em. And if while confronting bigotry I can use his Stolen Valor to make him look like even more of an ass, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Unless you really want the inevitable headache of the aftermath to be your problem, I'd let sleeping dogs lie here. 

Let someone else blow up his spot and deal with the mess.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 07:29:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
"Once a Marine, always a Marine

Unless you graduate, I doubt your considered a Marine.   I know it is that way in the Army, they even have a chapter (discharge) for guys who were unfit for service, unless it was medical and caused by the service it is usually not good.

http://girightshotline.org/en/military-knowledge-base/topic/entry-level-performance-and-conduct-discharge-entry-level-separa

Note not honorable, not dishonorable.

There are people who are always going to hate, JSD.  As a veteran, we can usually smell one another out, and 9 times out of 10 I can tell when someone is lying about it.   To get Vet stuff in society usually you have to prove it with a DD214 and ID card.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 07:36:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think there are many, many people who lead others to believe something about themselves that isn't exactly true.  If the deception is bascally hurting no one -- it may be annoying but is probably better viewed as  pathetic than offensive.  Confronting the deception may either be terribly  embarrassing or may cause a defensive response that could be ugly.   Depending on how close you are and how much you care about him, it may produce no discernable benefit other than getting your annoyance with him off your chest.   

The anti-Muslim thing is another story.  This does perpetuate hatred and there are victims.   I think I might share with him my disagreement with his views and tell him I plan to block him if he continues the bigoted posts.  This is what I'd like to think I'd do, but in reality I'd probably avoid the confrontation and would just be cordial and distant at family events.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He sounds like a legend... and worth developing an even closer relationship with.

Link me to his page? I like crazy.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 07:53:48 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
call it out. family doesn't get a pass for bigotry.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Just unfollow him and never like or react to anything he says. I wouldn't worry about it. I really wouldn't.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
something about love and hate and apathy or whatever..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.