Author Topic: Ty Lawson to Kings  (Read 3554 times)

Ty Lawson to Kings
« on: August 29, 2016, 01:53:31 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Kings sign Ty Lawson. IMO could be a very nice fit. In 2013 if you had suggested pairing Demarcus Cousins up with Ty Lawson it would have seemed completely reasonable.

- Played off Carmelo Anthony and Danilo Galinari, volume scorers like Boogie and Rudy Gay.
- Played 3 years with with recently signed Arron Afflalo.
- Lead UNC to a title and Denver to 57 Wins. Going to a point guard rotation where the guy with the most playoff experience is Darren Collison.

Lawson's fallen off the past couple of years but he didn't have these kind of weapons in Houston or Indy. Willey Caulie Stein and Skal Labiseirre could cover up a good deal of his defensive deficiencies. Stability at the point guard position is something Boogie has lacked. Not sure who starts but I'd prefer Collison lighting up second units.

Lawson could just be cooked or he could be a success. Lot of interesting signings this off season.

Edit: If i'm the Kings I'd spring for a driver as part of the contract terms.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:58:35 AM by Smartacus »

Re: Ty Lawson to Kings
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:04:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Without a doubt Cousins will want to be traded.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:12:11 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Kings sign Ty Lawson. IMO could be a very nice fit. In 2013 if you had suggested pairing Demarcus Cousins up with Ty Lawson it would have seemed completely reasonable.

- Played off Carmelo Anthony and Danilo Galinari, volume scorers like Boogie and Rudy Gay.
- Lead UNC to a title and Denver to 57 Wins. Going to a point guard rotation where the guy with the most playoff experience is Darren Collison.

Lawson's fallen off the past couple of years but he didn't have these kind of weapons in Houston or Indy. Willey Caulie Stein and Skal Labiseirre could cover up a good deal of his defensive deficiencies. Stability at the point guard position is something Boogie has lacked. Not sure who starts but I'd prefer Collison lighting up second units.

Lawson could just be cooked or he could be a success. Lot of interesting signings this off season.

Lol James Harden and Paul George not strong enough weapons??
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:30:01 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
This is how they plan on catering to Boogie? Bringing in even more head cases? Smh. Never chance Sacramento. Never change.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:49:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Good opportunity for Ty Lawson to get his career back on track.

Sacramento not strong at PG. Lawson could reclaim a starting job if his head is right.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 05:52:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Haha yeah what? The Kings have more weapons than two perennial playoff teams?

This is just another horrible boneheaded move by a franchise that continues to make horrible basketball decisions. I hope Lawson has turned his personal life around but you've got a guy like Cousins (who many label as a head case obviously) and you bring in a guy like Lawson as an influence while you're trying to turn around your franchise and appeal to Boogie?

Get on that hotline Danny. What a terrible signing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:26:12 AM by pearljammer10 »

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:17:32 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
And the revolving door at PG continues in Sacramento.  Any bets on who starts for them next year?  I'll go with either Ricky Rubio or Elfrid Payton (they'd have to trade for either, and they'd likely give up what ended up being a top pick)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:41:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I love that they signed Afflalo and Lawson only AFTER they fired George Karl.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Without a doubt Cousins will want to be traded.

Fingers crossed.

Adding Cousins .......would slide us ahead of LeQueenie

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:46 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Worthwhile move. They need a point guard, Lawson needs to rebuild his career. If he's a pain then cut him, not a big deal. Sac may as well try these things before resigning themselves to losing Cousins just in case one of them works

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Solid move by the Kings. Taking a flier a guy who, if he's on his right mind, a really good PG.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
i guess i think there is a small chance that lawson felt like he hit rock bottom and stopped the off the court stuff that was destroying him. The crazy thing is that he is only 28!

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Haha yeah what? The Kings have more weapons than two perennial playoff teams?

This is just another horrible boneheaded move by a franchise that continues to make horrible basketball decisions. I hope Lawson has turned his personal life around but you've got a guy like Cousins (who many label as a head case obviously) and you bring in a guy like Lawson as an influence while you're trying to turn around your franchise and appeal to Boogie?

Get on that hotline Danny. What a terrible signing.

Fair points guys I was thinking I might get called out on that statement. Not having the weapons was a regrettable way to put it. In a vacuum both teams should be better destinations than the Kings. My main thing is that they had talent that wasn't suited to Lawson's game.

James Harden is a ball dominant shooting guard who works best with a nice defender at the 1 who can play off the ball.

Paul George isn't quite so drastic but I'd argue that if Lawson spends too much time as the primary ball handler it detracts from George's value. Rudy Gay could be a more natural wing fit simply because he's not a top 10ish player.

Cousins, Gay, Caspi, Afflalo, McLemore are nice fits next to Lawson. They have a primary ball handler and distributer gap that could filled by Lawson. Imo it's the best situation he's had since the Carmelo Nuggets.

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 05:04:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
And the revolving door at PG continues in Sacramento.  Any bets on who starts for them next year?  I'll go with either Ricky Rubio or Elfrid Payton (they'd have to trade for either, and they'd likely give up what ended up being a top pick)

I would love to see Rubio moved.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I love that they signed Afflalo and Lawson only AFTER they fired George Karl.
I was going to say the same thing. They did need help at PG but Lawson may bring them further down. But they Survived Rondo.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek