Author Topic: What the heck happened to Josh Smith?  (Read 8899 times)

What the heck happened to Josh Smith?
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
This article brings up a question I've been wondering about lately:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/josh-smith-currently-out-of-the-nba-was-is-so-much-better-than-you-think/

He's only 30, and as the article states, statistically he was up there with KG. Why the sudden plummet to the point that he's basically out of the league?

Does he have more personality issues that we don't know about, or did his game really just disappear overnight from loss of athleticism? I just find it a bit hard to believe for a guy who had no major injuries.

Re: What the heck happened to Josh Smith?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:07:32 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
from the time he left the Hawks and joined the Pistons, he hasn't done anything to help his team win, traded to Rockets and then Clippers, he doesn't bring much to the table. I was a fan of him before but then just found out he's a good player on a bad team

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:46:17 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
from the time he left the Hawks and joined the Pistons, he hasn't done anything to help his team win, traded to Rockets and then Clippers, he doesn't bring much to the table. I was a fan of him before but then just found out he's a good player on a bad team

I wouldn't call the Hawks a bad team. They were a playoff contender, year after year. I think it have something to do with his role. He tries to do too much. His low BBIQ doesn't help.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:53:27 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
He had a really unique play style that doesn't work in every system.  Similar to someone like Rondo.  Just doesn't work everywhere.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
he played a big role in Houston's com back to beat the clippers a few years ago.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
He had a really unique play style that doesn't work in every system.  Similar to someone like Rondo.  Just doesn't work everywhere.

This makes some sense. You'd figure some team would still find a way to use his talents though. He is undeniably a talented player. I mean, even Rondo keeps getting decent contracts.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
he played a big role in Houston's com back to beat the clippers a few years ago.

Yeah, and then the Clippers signed him and Doc buried him on the bench.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Athletically reliant player who once he lost a good bit of that athleticism made his poor shot selection, inability to stretch the floor, lackadaisical effort, and unreliable team defense simply too much for the decreased productivity.

On the defense part, I always thought he got away with the notion of being a good defensive player because his unreal athleticism generated a lot of blocks and steals. However, he was always a guy that didn't really have a good understanding of defense and got by because he was so athletic. Again, once that was lost there really wasn't much actual skill there, on either side of the floor.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Josh Smith...Ray Allen...Larry Sanders...should all find an NBA home come Opening night---no-?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Dunno what happened but he was among the top talents for a while. He could play lockdown defense if he wanted to. Just fell in love with the 3-apt shot but couldn't hit it consistently.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 09:32:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Big head , lazy , attitude ....combined with a super low IQ......

Too much for anybody to really want him.

Older version of Sully

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 09:37:34 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I wouldn't call the Hawks a bad team. They were a playoff contender, year after year. I think it have something to do with his role. He tries to do too much. His low BBIQ doesn't help.

hmm I think that is fair, perhaps it was a bad trio of stars in Joe Johnson/JSmoove/Al Horford...ah can't forget Mike Bibby. Though his defense in the Hawks in my honest opinion was a lot better and the alley-oops were really fun to watch back in the day, I forgot which year but it was pre Celtics big 3 era where he had a game against the Celtics, I believe it might've been his rookie year where he blocked us 3 times in one play.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
J-Smooth was an uncoachable super Athlete who doubled as a bad basketball player.

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
J-Smooth was an uncoachable super Athlete who doubled as a bad basketball player.
Pithy and accurate. Well done cg. And a tp for the post.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 11:02:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Never liked his game. Glad the league caught on.
Yup