Author Topic: wishful or demonic thinking  (Read 1677 times)

wishful or demonic thinking
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:05:16 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I do not wish anyone harm. Say we are a top seed and Cleveland is in the way. I will not pray for a LeBron injury.

Yet the way things are shaping out, that might not be necessary. All teams end the year banged up or trying to hold on for a second wind.

Some question our ability to win in the playoffs. That is a moot point. Look st 2008. That was a new team with KG, Ray, Posey, Powe, Eddie House and PJ. Maybe their lack of time together explained why we kept losing the road games. That never made sense. How could we be so good that playing on the road was such a struggle? Maybe it was different back then and road wins were somehow tougher.

Anyway, that's why I don't think the last two playoffs matter. We gutted out a couple wins last year. We played the Cavs tough two years ago. Those games shouldn't have been competitive, yet they were to a degree.

We have so much depth this year.

I am just saying that it is inside the realm of possibility that the super teams won't be at full speed for the playoffs. Steph Curry was banged up and that's why Cleveland won. I see no other explanation.

I suppose our playoff odds this year depend on which Celtics are banged up. We may not have the superstars, but I figure if Isaiah or Horford are out, we're probably done. But on the other hand, maybe Rozier develops and Amir/Zeller could make up for Horford's loss.

We have a lot of wild cards.

How good will Jaylen and Gerald be?

I assume if Hunter makes the team, he will not get many minutes unless he has vastly improved. Jackson is going to the D League. I guess thirteen guys will be suiting up every game needing to be ready just in case. I think Brad will play twelve guys with his long-term goal to whittle that to ten. Can you play 12 guys every night? Has that ever worked?

If you could get all those guys involved and have ten of them healthy for the playoffs, then watch out, all bets are off.

Under that scenario, we might not even need help from the basketball gods to beat the powerhouses.

Olynyk is a wild card. Marcus is too. How will he shoot? Bradley, Amir, Horford and Isaiah seem defined, but I could see Isaiah improving. I could see Horford make a jump in regards to his personal legacy. Bradley just has to repeat what he's been doing because it's good.

Jerebko and Zeller are proven players at this point, so-called depth.

Brad needs to make sure we have plenty of depth that doesn't collect too much rust. Danny might also do some sort of move at the trade deadline, one move we will say that was it that won it all for us.

We'll also know by then how the Nets will probably finish out. But I think we already know they are at the bottom of the bottom or in that general area. That is a draft pick we are all demonically savoring. The Brooklyn pick is what brings together all Celtics fans whether they hold half full or half empty glasses.

The rich get richer is usually a bad thing, but in this case the Boston Celtics are owning a lot of basketball poker chips. It kind of feels like the next draft will yield us the star so many argue a team has to have to truly contend for it all.

Re: wishful or demonic thinking
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nice post, but your title is bat crap crazy!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Well that pretty much covers all the open questions for the upcoming season.  Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:33:52 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Nice post, but your title is bat crap crazy!
haha, yeah, it is a big letdown after the draft, free agency, summer league and then we realize there isn't much to do than struggle coming up with titles for forum posts.

Everything has been reduced to four guys fighting for one spot. It's not enough to hold me over until preseason. The games are where it's at.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Well that pretty much covers all the open questions for the upcoming season.  Thanks.

Yep, Danny signed Zeller. Hunter seems to be in the driver's seat for the last roster spot.

We just don't know. Look at Kawhi Leonard drafted at #15. Fourteen teams didn't think he was that good.

Maybe the Brooklyn picks coming up will be pure gravy. Rozier was picked #16. Avery was a #19 pick. Jaylen Brown is #3. Smart at #6. Olynyk at #13 I think. On and on it goes.

Oh, Isaiah was the Mr. Irrelevant pick his year. Some top picks aren't that great. Some are. Few of the later picks are that great, but sometimes they are.

This whole season coming up is a gigantic wild card. Someone on our team could have a breakout year. Many of them could.

I imagine the most important thing to look out for will be do we have a legitimate backup point guard. That will be the Evan Turner hole.

But losing Turner and Sully is going to be liberating in many other ways. We'll be faster without Sully and without Turner, our offense could become much more dynamic, like a Green Wave from as in back to the 80's.

Am I the only fan willing to go out on a limb and say we will be a top five NBA team and authentic title contender?

I don't think this is about drinking green kool-aid. I'm not saying it's a guarantee because nothing in life is. I feel Déjà vu to 2007-08 or as a kid when we got Larry Bird, DJ, then McHale and Parish. You just knew going into those years that something major had changed.

Like when the Red Sox got Pedro and Manny.

It's just that a guy like Horford isn't glamorous and Isaiah gets no respect for his height in regards to defense.

That's why we need a solid backup pg. Isaiah could get injured or banged up. We also want a backup plan if for some reason he isn't hitting his shots and no matter how great he is, we might want to try the other guy more for specific games.

Maybe there won't be many minutes for Jaylen. Maybe Green, Crowder and even Hunter with Smart and Bradley take all the minutes.

It will be interesting because Brad Stevens is the coach. He does make mistakes at times, like starting Zeller with Lee. Lee was awful and that pairing totally screwed with Tyler's head.

We are all Celtics fanatics. I am ready to go all-in with the glass is three-quarters full and might be completely full. We can guess and speculate. What we really have to do is find a way for the next two months to pass. This is deep hibernation time for the NBA. You can even sense it in other fan comments. I am all revved up for the next season. We substituted Horford for Sully! Amir had plantar fasciitis and Olynyk is going into his fourth year, time for him to step up.

We have great guards. Hey, maybe Crowder is our Kawhi Leonard. Maybe Jae gets even better than he was during his great stretch last year. Maybe Crowder is a new form of truth.

He was picked #34 in 2012. We wonder about Olynyk and Smart, but Jae is also at the blossoming age.

This team could blossom and win the title.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Everything has been reduced to four guys fighting for one spot. It's not enough to hold me over until preseason. The games are where it's at.

Yeah, this time of year is always hard for me as well. TP for a nice read.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:59:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
celticspride- tp for a series of nice posts but the heck with lebron if you would focus on lopez please
-the number one pick would be with us when lebron hangs it up-