Poll

Who should be more embarassed regarding the James Young draft pick, Danny Ainge or Bill Simmons?

Danny... He drafted James Young.
21 (42.9%)
Bill Simmons - He nearly lost his job on TV fist-pumping this smoking turd of a pick..
15 (30.6%)
Both are still right, James Young is a future league MVP.
7 (14.3%)
How DARE you!  Delete this thread and your account for this poll!
6 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: James Young: Who should be more embarassed, Danny Ainge or Bill Simmons?  (Read 13099 times)

Re: James Young: Who should be more embarassed, Danny Ainge or Bill Simmons?
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't see how Simmons has anything to do with it. He didn't draft him.

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 11:07:13 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
James Young was a bad pick, but not nearly as bad as Fab Melo.   :P

Draft busts happen all the time.  Let's face it the success rate in the NBA draft for guys taken out of the top 10 is very low.  So I'm not exactly going to hold Ainge's feet to the fire.  It was a swing and a miss.  Let's leave it at that.

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 12:59:26 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't see how Simmons has anything to do with it. He didn't draft him.
For better or worse, Simmons is the most visible Celtics fan out there, other than Lucky or Tommy.  When he puts his green-colored glasses on, he is an embarrassment.  JMO.

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2016, 01:00:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Draft busts happen all the time.  Let's face it the success rate in the NBA draft for guys taken out of the top 10 is very low.  So I'm not exactly going to hold Ainge's feet to the fire.  It was a swing and a miss.  Let's leave it at that.

I agree with this.  I feel Fab Melo is the only flat out bad pick by Danny.  He was a beat slow and was never going to be an NBA player.  That was easy to see once he got to the Celtics but something I would have expected GM/Scout to be able to see before hand.

Young?  He is hanging by a thread but has shown flashes of the ability to play well in the NBA.  It is there but he has not been able to show consistency or even much improvement.  The Celtics are not able to carry him any longer but I think he will be around the NBA for a while, perhaps a career like Gerald Green, just kind of bouncing around.

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
[Young?  He is hanging by a thread but has shown flashes of the ability to play well in the NBA

Please remind me of any of those flashes. D-League doesn't count for NBA.

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
[Young?  He is hanging by a thread but has shown flashes of the ability to play well in the NBA

There really haven't been any.

He's a good d-league player - i've watched him play for the Red Claws many times - but, aside from his 3-point shooting, the rest of his game isn't much better than other D-league players. He puts up stats in that league, but he doesn't dominate physically or mentally. He isn't really doing anything exceptional aside from hitting open 3's at a good clip.

The slashing, handle, passing, defense, and overall BBIQ just aren't there. And he didn't show any improvement in summer league IMO, his overall game now is only a little better than it was his rookie year.

Not nearly the jump we hoped to see, especially considering how poorly he looked to begin with.

Rozier and Mickey are far, far better prospects at this point. Hunter as well. I see Young getting traded for nothing to clear up a roster spot.

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

There really haven't been any.

He's a good d-league player - i've watched him play for the Red Claws many times - but, aside from his 3-point shooting, the rest of his game isn't much better than other D-league players. He puts up stats in that league, but he doesn't dominate physically or mentally. He isn't really doing anything exceptional aside from hitting open 3's at a good clip.

The slashing, handle, passing, defense, and overall BBIQ just aren't there. And he didn't show any improvement in summer league IMO, his overall game now is only a little better than it was his rookie year.

Not nearly the jump we hoped to see, especially considering how poorly he looked to begin with.

Rozier and Mickey are far, far better prospects at this point. Hunter as well. I see Young getting traded for nothing to clear up a roster spot.

Thank you for the honest and correct analysis. TP

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 11:47:54 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I just don't get all the contempt for James Young.

Check this out:  if you are posting on this message board and you are so dam' sure of your scouting chops, you're probably fooling yourself. Ever heard of the Dunning-Krueger effect?  Enough said.

But that still doesn't account for the snide remarks and the snark and the sheer... contempt.  Is that really what you want to be known for?

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2016, 08:16:54 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That's interesting.

I, personally, don't get the people who continue to defend an obviously wasted first round draft choice - one of the almighty Nets picks.

Young obviously is a bust, and the sooner people accept that the better off we'll all be.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I'm going to say Simmons.

Danny Ainge had the pick to use, and he had to use it on somebody.  He needed a shooter/scorer at the time, and Young fit that criteria, so he gave it a shot.

Simmons jumped up and down like a kid in a candy store from pure excitement and wouldn't shut up about how amazing a pick it was.

I remember watching that draft live, as well as seeing clips of it later... and don't recall him jumping up and down at all.  In fact it's merely a small fist pump.  When asked about it, he said he felt that James Young fell to the Celtics, not that he thought the kid was a superstar in waiting.

I see nothing wrong with Simmons' fandom, it's very similar to many here but often times accompanied by a more historical view.

No-one should be embarrassed by that pick since it was late first-round, but if anyone should be it's Danny Ainge.  Danny has always been really big on measuring the psyche and will to win of a potential pick, and it's clear that James Young has not worked hard enough.  In other words, the scouting differentiator that Danny sought was also his area of worst performance (in this case).

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Young obviously is a bust, and the sooner people accept that the better off we'll all be.

I wouldn't go that far; you might be right.  He's 20 with a good body and an identifiable skill.  My opinion is that he'll probably be on an NBA roster somewhere for at least a while, maybe even have a long career.  In Boston he's in the dreaded "numbers game", so he may or may not make it to November; I'd keep Jackson over him, not Hunter.

I don't think that it makes a big difference, and no one needs to be embarrassed.

I flatter myself as a judge of talent - like most people posting here.  But the late first round is a crapshoot even for the professionals who've devoted themselves to the game, and the scouting resources most of us have available can't hold a candle to theirs.

A footnote about Bill Simmons: boy do I enjoy him, but he doesn't really know the game; his analysis tends to fall back on dubious concepts like "body language".  Draft coverage this year was a big step down without him.

On Bruno Caboclo:

Fran Fraschilla:  "...he's two years away from being two years away."

Moderator: "So he'll be ready in four years?"

Simmons: "No, he'll still be two years away."

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
One of the dumbest polls I have ever read.

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I wouldn't consider Young a "bad pick". To this date he is a bust but he was drafted using sound logic. At the time young was drafted he was the youngest player in the draft at only 18 years old, had elite size for his position 6'6 213lbs 7'wingspan, solid athleticism, and had a successful and productive Freshman season at Kentucky. Given all these positives taking the kid at #17 was good choice as he clearly had a very high ceiling. If he never figures it out and end up out of the league the only person who should be embarrassed is James not DA who drafted a high ceiling kid outside the lottery.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I wouldn't consider Young a "bad pick". To this date he is a bust but he was drafted using sound logic. At the time young was drafted he was the youngest player in the draft at only 18 years old, had elite size for his position 6'6 213lbs 7'wingspan, solid athleticism, and had a successful and productive Freshman season at Kentucky. Given all these positives taking the kid at #17 was good choice as he clearly had a very high ceiling. If he never figures it out and end up out of the league the only person who should be embarrassed is James not DA who drafted a high ceiling kid outside the lottery.

+1..exactly.

In addition, Young was projected in many late mocks as a lottery pick. He slipped a little because of a car accident that stopped his workouts.