Poll

Who should be more embarassed regarding the James Young draft pick, Danny Ainge or Bill Simmons?

Danny... He drafted James Young.
21 (42.9%)
Bill Simmons - He nearly lost his job on TV fist-pumping this smoking turd of a pick..
15 (30.6%)
Both are still right, James Young is a future league MVP.
7 (14.3%)
How DARE you!  Delete this thread and your account for this poll!
6 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: James Young: Who should be more embarassed, Danny Ainge or Bill Simmons?  (Read 13098 times)

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
My vote goes to Bill Simmons.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Neither. Show me a GM or fan who has never been wrong about a draft pick.

Also, James Young is still young, and he looked much better at least shooting wise in summer league. There is still hope for him.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Also, James Young is still young, and he looked much better at least shooting wise in summer league. There is still hope for him.

That is kind of funny that he still has his supporters. He looked better than what? And the "he's still young" thing is really getting "old". He's a bust. Time to move on.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If anyone should be embarrassed it's obviously Ainge, since this is his area of "expertise."

Not sure it matters much, though. Missing on Hood sucks, but such is life.  If Rozier and one of Yabu (esp) or Zizic don't pan out, though, some blame is to be had.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
The poll should also be re-worded. Option 3 is highly biased. Nobody ever said he was a future league MVP. Why not just say he is still a future starter, which is about what anyone hopes for from a pick in that range?

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

That is kind of funny that he still has his supporters. He looked better than what? And the "he's still young" thing is really getting "old". He's a bust. Time to move on.

I take it you didn't follow the summer league. He was a much, much better shooter this summer than he has shown in the past.

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
Yes, biased poll, but Simmons fist pump did say Young would be better than a good 16 pick.  Simmons should know better:  everyone says Celtics don't pick athletic and Simmons saw Young was athletic and fist pumped.  He fell because of lack of skill.  Gerald Green looked better than Young and he couldn't really stick.  Green still always looked like a better pure shooter than Young to me, so Simmons should be embarrassed.  We have seen this story before with the Celtics trying to get more athletic.

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
It's not even a close call if you had added the word "pole" immediately before smoking using such as an adjective to the choice pertaining to Simmons.   Simmons has been and always be an idiot.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Amen! Even if he is a bust, he isn't the first or the last. People act like a person has to be right on every pick.

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Neither...attempting to evaluate the work ethic, and future of a 19 year old basketball player is like putting a puzzle together without the picture.

All GM's have wins and losses when drafting from the college ranks.

Re: James Young: Who should be more embarassed, Danny Ainge or Bill Simmons?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 10:14:02 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Nobody should be embarrassed.  He was an upside pick who, it appears, will not pan out.

It happens.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 10:18:53 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Maybe James Young, he is collecting healthy pay checks and producing very little.

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 10:38:11 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
It's possible that Young is a bust and was still the right pick. His skill set and measurements typically translate well and he mostly performed well on one of the highest profile team's in the league.

Passing on Hood was unfortunate but he was vomitting at several of his workouts and had issues holding his lunch at Duke too, What GM wants to pick the guy that could end up as one of the most viral clips of all time if he threw up on the court in the middle of an important game? The healindes alone would be murder. "Hood doesn't have the stomach for the big moment"

I choose option 4. The only one who should be embarrassed is the agenda pusher who wrote this biased poll.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Simmons like a lot of fans, me included, were intrigued by Young's potential.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 11:51:45 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Yeah. The "neither" option is the best answer. It was an upside pick. It didn't work. Oh well. Happens all the time, other teams do it too. It's not just Danny. Bill Simmons was hyped. Many of us were hyped. The media said it was a solid pick. It just didn't work. If anything, I'd say James Young himself has to be embarrassed at the lack of progress he's made in his game.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about