Author Topic: Anyone upset about the wasted assets?  (Read 29948 times)

Anyone upset about the wasted assets?
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Don't really care about Colton Iverson getting waived (#53 pick). 

Latest news:

Several league sources have indicated that second-year guard R.J. Hunter, third-year forward James Young, 27-year-old wing John Holland, and rookie forward Ben Bentil will compete for the last roster spot. Young and Hunter have guaranteed deals, Bentil has a partial guarantee, and Holland is nonguaranteed

Hunter - #28 pick
Young - #17 pick
Bentil - #51 pick

I know some people were annoyed when we let go of Fab Melo (#22 pick).  Does it upset anyone that we're likely seeing the team cut another 1st rounder (Hunter or Young)?  Or is it just something every team goes through?

Re: Anyone upset about the wasted assets?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Cutting late 1st rounders and 2nd rounders is something every team does regularly, it's just unavoidable based on statistics.

Cutting someone drafted just outside the lottery like James Young though hurts a bit. Sure, those picks end up busts often enough, but I expected more out of a pick in that range. I consider James Young the only wasted asset recently.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 08:15:44 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
It happens all the time, IMO. Heck, on other teams, it happens to lotto picks. I'm glad ours are still in the league (KO and Smart). I think JB will stick around as well.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 08:20:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope.  We got him for cash, so what assets, he did not cost us a pick.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:29:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
More upset about the actual pick that was James Young. If he actually turned out half-way decent, we wouldn't be talking about cutting him. It's not like he is this amazing prospect that we just have to let go of; signing Green pretty much put the final nail in his coffin, regardless of roster space.

I would have liked to see Bentil play a year overseas (not possible now with the contract), but Holland and Iverson were always long shots. I am pretty happy to finally cut ties with Iverson, if for nothing else than the periodic threads about him will cease.

I don't see how Hunter doesn't make the team. If he were cut, I would be a little disappointed about wasting an asset; even still, he was the 28th pick.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
I think the more upsetting thing is that we have been unable to consolidate these picks that Ainge acquired in savvy trades into anything better. The first BKN pick, the Clips pick, the early 2nds from Philly and Minny, and even possibly our Yab stash from Dallas.

Danny did such a great job acquiring these picks in the first place, it would be a shame if none of them turn out to be even rotation-level players. There is obviously still time, though.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think the more upsetting thing is that we have been unable to consolidate these picks that Ainge acquired in savvy trades into anything better. The first BKN pick, the Clips pick, the early 2nds from Philly and Minny, and even possibly our Yab stash from Dallas.

Danny did such a great job acquiring these picks in the first place, it would be a shame if none of them turn out to be even rotation-level players. There is obviously still time, though.
So late picks generally turn to dust.  Yet, you're unhappy that DA wasn't able to turn these non assets into something good?  Other teams aren't dumb.  They are going to give you a lottery pick for 50 second round picks.

What we need to hope is this DA gets lucky with sheer numbers.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
There's better players ahead of him but I think if hunter was forced to get a ton of reps he'd pan out as a good role player.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:13:28 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Nader maybe the best player after Brown we drafted .

That's all

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not upset. Just disappointed.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 12:18:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Happens all the time to every team.  Go back through the drafts, and about 7 players a year never make it to a single NBA game.  That's like 15%.  A bunch more don't make it more than a season or two. About half the players in the league don't make it past four year, and certainly many players bounce around the fringes of the NBA, providing little value for their original team.

Let's look at Colton Iverson's draft, from 40 on down:

40 - Grant Jerrett -- signed a deal the at the end of the 2013-2014 season so OKC didn't have to pay the luxury tax.  Played a total of 25 minutes for them the following season, before being sent to the Jazz as salary filler in the Kanter deal.  He played 26 minutes for the Jazz, and then was released that summer.  Now he's Portland's version of John Holland.

41 - Jamal Franklin - He averaged under 8 minutes over 21 games for Memphis in his only season with the team.  Has spent time in China, the D-league, and a week with Denver since that time in Memphis.

42 - Pierre Jackson - Was New Orleans version of Abdel Nader after being drafted.  Tore up the D-league (set scoring records), went overseas mid-season, was traded to Philly in the offseason, when he tore his Achilles in summer league and has still never appeared in an NBA game.

43 - Ricky Ledo -- played 44 minutes over 1.5 seasons for the Mavs before they waived him.  Got a lot of minutes at the end of a season for a terrible Knicks team, and spent last year in the D-league and Puerto Rico.  Now in Turkey.

44 - Mike Muscala -- as far as this list goes, Muscala has been very successful.  That success had meant he's the fourth big in Atlanta.  Mike Muscala is who I hoped Colton Iverson would be for us. Of course, that equates to under 1300 minutes in 3 NBA seasons.

45 - Marko Todorovic -- 24 years old, still in Europe.  He has two years left on his contract with his Russian team, which he signed with last season.

46 - Erick Green - spent his first season after being drafted in Europe.  Then spent a season as a not good player on the end of a bad Denver team's bench.  Was released a week into last season.  Spent his time in the D-league, a 10-day contract with the Jazz, and is back in Europe.

47 - Raul Neto - 2 years overseas after being drafted before making it to Utah last season.  He was the starting PG last season after Exum got hurt.  Exum is back and George Hill is on the team, so it'd be surprising if Neto got anywhere near the same amount of playing time as last season.

48 - Ryan Kelly - Got consistent minutes for 3 of the worst Laker teams in franchise history.  Currently looking for work.

49 - Erik Murphy - Played garbage time minutes for the Bulls in his rookie year, before being cut in a move to avoid the luxury tax.  Picked up by Utah, for while he never played, then sent to Cavs and then the Celtics as the Cabs tried to create a cap exception.  Cut by us, and is in Europe.

50 - James Ennis - Spent a year in Australia, then a year in Miami's rotation.  Was sent to Memphis the following season, who sent him primarily to the D-league before releasing him.  Caught on with New Orleans at the end of last season because he could walk, unlike most of their team, and is now back in Memphis.

51 - Romero Osby -- didn't make it out of training camp with Orlando, and wound up playing in Maine, then Europe, then Maine, then Puerto Rico, and now Israel.

52 - Lorenzo Brown -- didn't make it out of his rookie camp with Minny.  Has bounced around the D-league and various NBA teams on 10-day and rest of season contracts. 

53 - Colton Iverson - why I'm writing this post

54 - Arsalan Kazemi -- spent two seasons overseas before Philly renounced him.  He was the first Iranian player drafted however, so that's neat.

55 - Joffrey Lauvergne -- spent 1.5 seasons overseas after being drafted.  Now in the Nuggets rotation, so he's definitely been a successful pick.

56 - Peyton Siva - spent a season bouncing between Detroit and the D-league.  Was released the next summer, spent a year in the D-league, and is now overseas.

57 - Alex Oriakhi -- looking at his fourth year not in the NBA.  Kings got his rights from Phoenix in the IT sign-and-trade.  So that's interesting.

58 - Deshaun Thomas - Spent 2 years in Europe, then was a training camp cut by the Spurs.  Spent last year in the D-league, now in Turkey.

59 - Bojan Dublevix - Remained in Europe.  Doesn't seem to be coming to the US any time soon.

60 - Janis Timma - See above.

It's really great when every draftee works out, but as the above list shows, it's unlikely any given player picked in the back part of the second round will work out.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:11:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

So late picks generally turn to dust.  Yet, you're unhappy that DA wasn't able to turn these non assets into something good?  Other teams aren't dumb.  They are going to give you a lottery pick for 50 second round picks.

What we need to hope is this DA gets lucky with sheer numbers.

I wasn't talking about late picks (post 40), I was talking about picks that often can bring about late lottery talent. I understand that you need to be lucky to hit on a Butler, DeAndre, Draymond, M Gasol type of player later in the draft, but by the sheer number of picks we have had, one would think we could have nailed at least a rotation player by now.

Maybe Hunter, Yab, Jackson, etc will really show something and surprise us. Ainge is as good as it gets in the GM business and he used to be great at finding late round talent that could at least contribute; it just hasn't materialized lately. Hopefully it will again soon.

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 03:22:58 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Not taking Rodney Hood drives me nuts. James Young was younger and had a 5" wingspan advantage on Hood.

Guaranteed those were the deciding factors.

Anyway I've gotten over Young he's horrible please cut him and move on.

All I ask is that they make the wise decision with the final roster spot Hunter or Bentil. it's a nice problem to have.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 07:56:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good post by saltlover, pretty much explain it all.

I'm not upset because I do not see the waste.  As a GM, you give these non-lottery players a chance (or multiple chances in the case of Iverson, Young, Hunter, etc.) to pan out.  If they don't, so be it, that's the breaks.  This is not waste, this is evaluating your assets until you make a decision.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't believe late 1st round picks are cut all the time.  Sure they often don't get a second contract, but cut before the original 3 years is actually fairly rare.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip