Author Topic: Phil Jackson wanted Jae Crowder.  (Read 4166 times)

Phil Jackson wanted Jae Crowder.
« on: August 26, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Here is a article I just read saying that Phil wanted to trade for him in 2014 and didn't; a move which he later regretted.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243194/Phil-Jackson-Regrets-Not-Trading-For-Jae-Crowder-In-Tyson-Chandler-Trade

"One of the first deals I engineered when I came back to New York was to trade Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas for Shane Larkin, Jose Calderon, Wayne Ellington, Samuel Dalembert, plus a second-round pick that the Mavs owed to the Celtics," said Jackson. "In talking with (Dallas), I was given the option of taking that pick or else taking Jae Crowder. I liked Crowder but I thought he wouldn’t get much of a chance to play behind Carmelo, so I took the pick which turned out to be Cleanthony Early. While Cleanthony has missed lots of time in the past two seasons with us, he still has the potential to be a valuable player. Even so, I should have taken Crowder.

“Anyway, for all of us, making mistakes are part of the learning process."

Re: Phil Jackson wanted Jae Crowder.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
TP bro
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Here is a article I just read saying that Phil wanted to trade for him in 2014 and didn't; a move which he later regretted.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243194/Phil-Jackson-Regrets-Not-Trading-For-Jae-Crowder-In-Tyson-Chandler-Trade

"One of the first deals I engineered when I came back to New York was to trade Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas for Shane Larkin, Jose Calderon, Wayne Ellington, Samuel Dalembert, plus a second-round pick that the Mavs owed to the Celtics," said Jackson. "In talking with (Dallas), I was given the option of taking that pick or else taking Jae Crowder. I liked Crowder but I thought he wouldn’t get much of a chance to play behind Carmelo, so I took the pick which turned out to be Cleanthony Early. While Cleanthony has missed lots of time in the past two seasons with us, he still has the potential to be a valuable player. Even so, I should have taken Crowder.

Early must be loving this

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

same, he's still with the team lol, that must've felt awkward

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:15:49 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Nope. Didn't want him, does now! Haha! Go Danny!  ;D
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He prob wouldn't have even developed and played as well with them as he did with the C's
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 02:36:12 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
What do you guys think Crowder's ceiling is? I'm really hoping that last year wasn't an aberration and/or his best year.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The great zen master made a mistake? Guess he should stick to coaching, and to teams that come preloaded with superstars.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I like it when people can admit recent mistakes. Like McDonough on trading Isaiah Thomas.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
What do you guys think Crowder's ceiling is? I'm really hoping that last year wasn't an aberration and/or his best year.

I don't think anything we saw from his last year was unsustainable I just think he's maxed out as a player.

He's great at what he does and IMO will continue to be, but he's not going to suddenly start jumping higher or develop a handle and passing game tight enough to justify working him as a primary ball handler. He's basically as good now as what you'd imagine his best case scenario would have been as a prospect. Development like that is rare and commendable but that being said I still don't see him becoming much better that what he is now.

Good enough to start on a championship team but the other pieces would need to be elite. It's one of the things that makes a guy like Markelle Fultz intriguing in the upcoming draft. If Josh Jackson, Harry Giles or one of the other big school studs is capable of unseating Fultz as the top prospect - something that I think is definitely possible considering Fultz is playing on a depleted Washington team and not Kentucky - I'd love to see what a guy with Fultz's blend of athleticism and scoring ability could do surrounded by Horford, Crowder, Smart and the rest of our blue collar squad.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

same, he's still with the team lol, that must've felt awkward

Wow. That is beyond crappy for Zphil to say that.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I don't think anything we saw from his last year was unsustainable I just think he's maxed out as a player.

He's great at what he does and IMO will continue to be, but he's not going to suddenly start jumping higher or develop a handle and passing game tight enough to justify working him as a primary ball handler. He's basically as good now as what you'd imagine his best case scenario would have been as a prospect. Development like that is rare and commendable but that being said I still don't see him becoming much better that what he is now.

Good enough to start on a championship team but the other pieces would need to be elite. It's one of the things that makes a guy like Markelle Fultz intriguing in the upcoming draft. If Josh Jackson, Harry Giles or one of the other big school studs is capable of unseating Fultz as the top prospect - something that I think is definitely possible considering Fultz is playing on a depleted Washington team and not Kentucky - I'd love to see what a guy with Fultz's blend of athleticism and scoring ability could do surrounded by Horford, Crowder, Smart and the rest of our blue collar squad.

I agree with this. I think Crowder has reached his ceiling, but can absolutely sustain it for 5-6 years.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like it when people can admit recent mistakes. Like McDonough on trading Isaiah Thomas.

I don't get the same feeling. McDonough is just sorry he didn't get back more in return for the little guy

bottom line is, IT was not overly thrilled to be a sun and the org wanted to minimise disruption. i mean IT was never going to beat out Bledsoe or Dragic for a starting spot. 

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Danny seems to always be on the back end of those regrets.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 04:24:32 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

I don't get the same feeling. McDonough is just sorry he didn't get back more in return for the little guy

bottom line is, IT was not overly thrilled to be a sun and the org wanted to minimise disruption. i mean IT was never going to beat out Bledsoe or Dragic for a starting spot.

I hope you mean that he wouldn´t start in Phoenix because of team dynamics, because he is the only All-Star of those three guards.