5 (9.1%)
Bentil
6 (10.9%)
RJ Hunter
42 (76.4%)
John Holland
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Who gets the last roster spot? RJ Hunter, James Young, Bentil or Holland?  (Read 7521 times)

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The day Young does this. The day he will come alive.  He is too nice right now.  Acting his age.  He needs an attitude change on the court.  And also inability to handle right will always be his biggest weakness. He needs to work on that 24/7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvKXAnlVQE4

You reminded me of Michael olowakandi. Layup lines his pants rip away bottoms were getting ruffled under his feet, nearly tripping on them. He drove me insane. No care in the wirld.

He's just a soft kid. He overthinks too much and gets anxiety on the court. Some guys have it and some guys don't. James Young just doesn't have it.

I'm going to brag, but 15 minutes after we drafted him I created a topic on CB that said he was a terrible, horrible pick and Young was nothing close to being an NBA player.
This was up there with Fab Melo misses. Why? Because he's too timid and can't handle physicality or NBA athleticism and he doesn't have the winners mindset.

Watching the clueless Bill Simmons fist pump at Young's selection was comical at the time.

Honestly it's like...when the hell has this guy actually worked on his game? What has he added to his game since draft night? His defense went from terrible to bad. His shooting sucked. He has no handles, no vision and only goes left off his incredibly poor, slow first step.

James Young is a bum. Plain and simple.

I am very down on Young and agree on the "bum" part. Not just during games, but I have seen him many times both pre-game and half-time warmups where it looks like he doesn't give a crap: poor body language and TOO casual.

On draft night, though, he was a good pick. He actually slipped in the draft. He was projected in many late mocks as lottery, but because of a car accident, he couldn't work out for teams and "slipped" to us....lucky us :(

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
To make the team, you have to have an NBA level skill:  even just one.  To make the Celtics, you have to have that NBA skill and be able to understand and play team defense.  So even though Hunter has a good attitude and good skills, I question if his shooting is ever going to be NBA level.  His shot is not quick enough, he doesn't get good separation or elevation, and probably will remain just a good college level shooter and never even a Jason Terry level NBA shooter.  Hunter also seems a step slow on defense, even with his good instincts.  Young seems like Gerald Green use to be on defense.  Getting it is going to take years, if ever.  I voted for Bentil.  I think he has Ryan Gomes like craftiness and toughness and can find a role in the NBA.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I voted for James Young. I'm surprised as well lol

But my thoughts are: none of these guys are expected to contribute this year; James Young has the most identifiable NBA skill among them (shooting); Young still has the highest upside (even though he likely won't ever reach it).

In the grand scheme of things, none of these guys might ever crack an NBA rotation so this poll might ultimately be moot. But if I were picking my role players, I'd rather go for someone with an Eddie House or Anthony Morrow potential (super deadly jump shot, passing, dribbling, and defense be [dang]ed!) than a guy who can do everything really-below-averagely like an RJ Hunter.
- LilRip

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
James Young has the most identifiable NBA skill among them (shooting); Young still has the highest upside (even though he likely won't ever reach it).

This is not a skill that he has demonstrated on the NBA level.

FG%                  3P%
.306            .231   

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3064509/james-young

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Man, if only we saw more of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TCOEzsb9wQ
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK

what happened its almost like he's a different player...I remember this game. we haven't seen anything like this in a while.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

what happened its almost like he's a different player...I remember this game. we haven't seen anything like this in a while.
That was before the crazy hair and nose ring.   ::)

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hunter. He has the shooting and instincts to play unlike Young and the other 2 cost less to cut. I'm not sure why Jackson is not on this list. I saw nothing from him in summer league to lead me to believe he can play and we already have good PG depth.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
 I think that 15th spot is going to Hunter over Young, Bentil and Holland based on his shooting and effort over Bentil's size.  I don't see Holland as a factor and Young would have to make an immense, unexpected improvement in camp to make it.

just to expound on Young a bit -- I've said in several posts over the years that Young was a project pick where I personally didn't expect him to really show he belonged until his 3rd training camp.  So for me, this was the year I expected him to show real improvement.  while he looked better in summer league this year than before, it was nowhere near the leap that we saw from Rozier.  That's the type of leap Young needed to make this summer and it just wasn't there. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:43:46 AM by slamtheking »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Danny definitely did some strange signings that has painted him into a corner where he is going to have to cut some guaranteed money.  When he signed Zeller, he took a spot that Bentil or Mickey could have filled but with Mickey guaranteed for two more years, it kind of makes it impossible to do anything with Bentil.

Same with Green.  Why sign Green and Jackson (guaranteed for 3 more seasons) if you have any plan to keep Young and Hunter?  Holland I don't think ever was more than a practice squad type of player.

I would think we could trade Young which might solve the bottleneck but we won't get much.  If it comes down to it, I would prefer to roll the dice one more season with Young.  He has the most NBA potential over Hunter or Bentil and of course Holland in my opinion.  I see zero potential in Hunter, just doesn't seem to have the body.  Who knows with Bentil, it just would be a shame to waste a 2nd round pick and not give him a chance.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
James Young has the most identifiable NBA skill among them (shooting); Young still has the highest upside (even though he likely won't ever reach it).

This is not a skill that he has demonstrated on the NBA level.

FG%                  3P%
.306            .231   

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3064509/james-young
yes, but below are the stats that make some us think he MIGHT be worth the 15th spot on the roster:

dleague stats, two seasons
fg%     3pt%
44.1%    40.6%

given this is the 15th spot and none of the players listed in the poll are worth losing sleep over, in all likelihood, i voted for young. as distant as he ceiling may be, it seems the highest of the choices.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Danny definitely did some strange signings that has painted him into a corner where he is going to have to cut some guaranteed money.  When he signed Zeller, he took a spot that Bentil or Mickey could have filled but with Mickey guaranteed for two more years, it kind of makes it impossible to do anything with Bentil.

Same with Green.  Why sign Green and Jackson (guaranteed for 3 more seasons) if you have any plan to keep Young and Hunter?  Holland I don't think ever was more than a practice squad type of player.

I would think we could trade Young which might solve the bottleneck but we won't get much.  If it comes down to it, I would prefer to roll the dice one more season with Young.  He has the most NBA potential over Hunter or Bentil and of course Holland in my opinion.  I see zero potential in Hunter, just doesn't seem to have the body.  Who knows with Bentil, it just would be a shame to waste a 2nd round pick and not give him a chance.
i understand your points, but in my mind any corner ainge trapped himself in is a pretty small one. the salaries we are talking about are chump change and wont stop ainge from making any substantial moves.

next, zeller was signed more as a trade chip/salary match. ainge has done this before, so no surprise.

besides, ainge may yet bundle together a small herd of these players and ship them off for something resembling a credible draft pick.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hunter. He has the shooting and instincts to play unlike Young and the other 2 cost less to cut. I'm not sure why Jackson is not on this list. I saw nothing from him in summer league to lead me to believe he can play and we already have good PG depth.

If Danny were considering cutting Jackson, then his deal would have been unguaranteed like Bentil's

I would probably rather have Bentil than Jackson, but it seems pretty clear that Danny wouldn't
I'm bitter.

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I don't want to give up on James Young.  He's still so young.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Right now it has to be Hunter , but that could change fast.

I like Nader better than all of them .  He has the size and strength, confidence to succeed