Author Topic: Are you more excited about seeing Brown than you were about seeing Marcus...  (Read 39168 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
TP to Larbrd33 for patiently dealing with Celticsclay's inability to understand.

The tier of prospect you are coming out of college has nothing to do with what type of player you turn into in the NBA. Guys over and underachieve the tier they were slotted into all the time. All the tier system deals with is the expectation for the player coming out of college/fiba/etc.

Ben Simmons might become the next Magic or he might not even be Lamar Odom, but coming out of college he "Looks" closer to Magic therefore he's a tier 1 or tier 2 prospect. If he falls on his face in the league and doesn't become anything more than average it doesn't change the type of prospect he was cominging into the NBA.

(Typed off ofor my phone hopefully that was clear and simple enough).

I can't say I blame you for misunderstanding my point because I have gotten pretty silly in this thread. However, the idea you present is not what i have said at any point in this thread. Larbrd has also repeatedly pretended that is my viewpoint here so that maybe what confused you also.

I would agree Simmons is a tier 1 prospect regardless of how he does in the NBA. I actually think it is obvious and goes unsaid that there is a top level prospect. I also don't disagree that guys like AD, Wall, Lebron, Shaq, Simmons etc are all elite prospects and barring something weird will turn into all stars.

What I disagree with is the idea that Ford really has any real idea from his column whether the lower level guys will turn into a star, rotation player or bench player.That is the part of his tiers that just hasn't born out any outcomes in reality and he would be better off not pretending he can really tell the difference. Some years, as a whole, his entire tier 4 group was significantly better than the tier 3 group on the balance. He seems to repeatedly undersell foreign players and his column becomes just an errand projection after the top handful of guys that anybody can make.  In 2014 was Elfrid Payton really a different tier prospect than Nick Stauskas? Was Doug McDermott really a higher tier prospect than Joseph Nurkic or Lavine? Was Garry Harris really a level above Porzingas? I, and many other people that follow the NBA would tell you they could see Harris being worse than Lavine or Payton or better. They really were at no time leading up the draft significantly different levels of prospects. He is pretending, or perhaps talking to a small sample of people with some association with the NBA and is using it to act like these prospects are at different levels whether they really aren't. That is the part that is obnoxious and stupid and what I have been arguing about. I don't think there is really a clear difference between whether some year Ford claims a guy is tier 3 (Brown) or someone else is Tier 2 (smart). If you look at their ratings objectively from rivals, scouts and legits sites they were always rated similar or Brown slightly higher.
Can we shift our focus to debating about Rihanna vs Beyonce instead? 

Beyonce - More mass appeal, because up until recently she has scared white America less.  Iconic current pop star.  A bigger brand.

Rihanna - 5x as many hits and 6 years younger.

Discuss.   

Bonus question... how did you feel about Beyonce 6 years ago compared to how you feel about Rihanna right now.

lets talk 76ers flame outs over the last few years for bench players.

Online jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well, I can't name one Rihanna song, but can name at least three Beyonce / Destiny's Child songs (Survivor, Bootylicious, the 'Ring on It' song)...so there is that.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well, I can't name one Rihanna song, but can name at least three Beyonce / Destiny's Child songs (Survivor, Bootylicious, the 'Ring on It' song)...so there is that.
Beyonce has five songs that have been #1 hits:   Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-z), Baby Boy (feat Sean Paul), Check on It (feat Slim Thug), Irreplaceable, and Single Ladies

Rihanna has 11 songs that have been #1 hits:  SOS, Umbrella, Take a Bow, Disturbia, Rude Boy, Only Girl (in the world), What's My Name?, S&M, We Found Love, Diamonds, Work

Rihanna has an addition 3 songs that have gone #1 with her as a featured artist:   Live Your Life (Ti Song), Love the Way YOu lie (Eminem song), The Monstar (eminem song)

Rihanna has 14 songs that have reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 (compared to Beyonce's lowly 5).   Only The Beatles, Elvis and Mariah Carrey have more.  She's passed Michael Jackson.

It's a no contest. 

If we look at songs that have topped the Dance charts, Rihanna is second only to Madonna with 27 singles:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_with_the_most_number-ones_on_the_U.S._dance_chart

I think it's time we all collectively, as a world, decide to climb off Beyonce's nuts and start giving Rihanna her due. 

I don't even listen to pop music.  I exclusively listen to The Bobs and various Tuvan throat singers.  Facts is facts, though. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:30:15 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Better than me.  I know they both have 3 syllables in their names, so there's that.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It should be duly noted that Beyonce had 4 additional #1 songs as Kelly Rowland's backup singer in the 90s girl group "Destiny's Child":  "Bills, Bills, Bills", "Say My Name", "Independent Women Part 1", and "Bootylicious".

Essentially the "Minneapolis Lakers" of her discography and should likely be ignored.

Even with these additional 4 added to her total, we're talking 14 to 9 in favor of Rihanna.   

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Beyonce is a more accomplished singer, all-time Mt Rushmore great. Neither of them write their own songs anymore. Rihanna is better in bed.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Beyonce has five songs that have been #1 hits:   Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-z), Baby Boy (feat Sean Paul), Check on It (feat Slim Thug), Irreplaceable, and Single Ladies

Rihanna has 11 songs that have been #1 hits:  SOS, Umbrella, Take a Bow, Disturbia, Rude Boy, Only Girl (in the world), What's My Name?, S&M, We Found Love, Diamonds, Work

Rihanna has an addition 3 songs that have gone #1 with her as a featured artist:   Live Your Life (Ti Song), Love the Way YOu lie (Eminem song), The Monstar (eminem song)

Rihanna has 14 songs that have reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 (compared to Beyonce's lowly 5).   Only The Beatles, Elvis and Mariah Carrey have more.  She's passed Michael Jackson.

It's a no contest. 

If we look at songs that have topped the Dance charts, Rihanna is second only to Madonna with 27 singles:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_with_the_most_number-ones_on_the_U.S._dance_chart

I think it's time we all collectively, as a world, decide to climb off Beyonce's nuts and start giving Rihanna her due. 

I don't even listen to pop music.  I exclusively listen to The Bobs and various Tuvan throat singers.  Facts is facts, though.

Not a fan of either but I like songs by both. I do hear Beyonce fans talking about album charting, sales and concert attendance all the time, maybe that's part of it. I wouldn't know could be BS but I follow some of her Stans on social media for their various art projects (unrelated to her) and that's something they always say.

I am always slightly biased when it comes to any of these ladies because of how much I like Janet Jackson and how much I liked TLC and disliked Beyonce because of Destiny's Child and people always pitting them against each other. My dislike was serious back in the day, now I don't feel as strong about it but there is a little residue left in me LOL.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616

It's a no contest. 

Not a fan of either but I like songs by both. I do hear Beyonce fans talking about album charting, sales and concert attendance all the time, maybe that's part of it. I wouldn't know could be BS but I follow some of her Stans on social media for their various art projects (unrelated to her) and that's something they always say.

I am always slightly biased when it comes to any of these ladies because of how much I like Janet Jackson and how much I liked TLC and disliked Beyonce because of Destiny's Child and people always pitting them against each other. My dislike was serious back in the day, now I don't feel as strong about it but there is a little residue left in me LOL.

What was your problem with DC?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

It's a no contest. 

Sounds like she didn't like DC, because they were encroaching on TLC's turf.  That's why Billy Ocean has been dead to me since '84.  Get off MJ's block, Ocean. 

Btw, I was a toddler in '84... but I knew what was up

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

It's a no contest. 

I liked TLC and saw all the other (very few) girl groups as a rival, DC just happened to be young, a 3some (after a couple tweaks lol) and very popular. DC was on the rise and TLC was on the decline, I was a hater plain and simple :laugh: ! I liked some of their music though. Media always pit the most popular artist of the same type against each other and of course being young my friends and I fed into it!  ;D

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I have my own car! I pay my own bills! I'm an independent man! Where's my glory. Some of these songs are a riot. " should have put a ring on it?" Thd dude who didn't put a ring on it didn't love you. So he's probably not regretting the situation. Other wise.. Ring.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

It's a no contest. 

I liked TLC and saw all the other (very few) girl groups as a rival, DC just happened to be young, a 3some (after a couple tweaks lol) and very popular. DC was on the rise and TLC was on the decline, I was a hater plain and simple :laugh: ! I liked some of their music though. Media always pit the most popular artist of the same type against each other and of course being young my friends and I fed into it!  ;D
TP

TLC FTW
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Omg! What the heck happened to this awesome thread! DISGRACEFUL!

Re: Are you more excited about seeing Brown than you were about seeing Marcus...
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Brown to me is an important pick. He has to make it big for the Celtics to get past the 50 win wall. Horford isn't enough--not with the loss of Sullinger and Turner.

Re: Are you more excited about seeing Brown than you were about seeing Marcus...
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Brown to me is an important pick. He has to make it big for the Celtics to get past the 50 win wall. Horford isn't enough--not with the loss of Sullinger and Turner.

I'm excited about Jaylen Brown, but if your expecting him to be a significant contributor to our 50 plus wins this coming season you will be disappointed. He's going to need a couple of years to develop.