Author Topic: Are you more excited about seeing Brown than you were about seeing Marcus...  (Read 39425 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
yes, because Brown really has offense and his hops make him a very intriguing prospect. He was also rafted higher than Marcus.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Of course not ..

I wear Smart tee  ;D

Offline 18pridecelts

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
meh not really - pretty disappointed with the pic with dunn and murray available

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I agree, Lbbrd lost the arguement. He's not consistent with his takes and is avoiding Clay's point. He's just reiterating the same garbage. Reminds me of Goodell's press conferences when people would ask him about the Brady Suspension.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I agree, Lbbrd lost the arguement. He's not consistent with his takes and is avoiding Clay's point. He's just reiterating the same garbage. Reminds me of Goodell's press conferences when people would ask him about the Brady Suspension.
what argument did I lose?  Explain it to me.   Has someone proven that brown is seen as a better protect than Marcus smart was in 2014?  Or are just arbitrarily saying I lost some argument i wasn't participating in cuz y'all are a bunch of parrots of one another.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:41:44 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I've gotta agree with LarBrd. The general public was much higher on Marcus Smart in 2014 than they are on Jaylen Brown now. Smart was, in fact, dubbed as someone that would quickly make Rondo expendable, and he was expected to contribute right away on defense but especially on offense. For some reason, people are much less high on Brown even though I am personally more excited about him because of his more prototypical "superstar" athletic ability and body type (height, muscle mass, etc).

As far as the opinion part of this question goes, I can attest to the fact that LarBrd was very excited to watch Smart, much less so than he is to watch Brown now. Everything he has said is his way of justifying his past opinion, which obviously cannot change two years after the fact, so I think the point that he won't concede to points about what he felt two years ago is irrelevant. Basically, I don't think there is an argument to "lose" or win.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
what argument did I lose?  Explain it to me.   Has someone proven that brown is seen as a better protect than Marcus smart was in 2014?  Or are just arbitrarily saying I lost some argument i wasn't participating in cuz y'all are a bunch of parrots of one another.
You really do live on an Egyptian river. at times it is sad to you like this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I've gotta agree with LarBrd. The general public was much higher on Marcus Smart in 2014 than they are on Jaylen Brown now. Smart was, in fact, dubbed as someone that would quickly make Rondo expendable, and he was expected to contribute right away on defense but especially on offense. For some reason, people are much less high on Brown even though I am personally more excited about him because of his more prototypical "superstar" athletic ability and body type (height, muscle mass, etc).

As far as the opinion part of this question goes, I can attest to the fact that LarBrd was very excited to watch Smart, much less so than he is to watch Brown now. Everything he has said is his way of justifying his past opinion, which obviously cannot change two years after the fact, so I think the point that he won't concede to points about what he felt two years ago is irrelevant. Basically, I don't think there is an argument to "lose" or win.
yup.  Expectations for smart were higher.  Glad someone here can remember 2 years ago.

I actually am excited about brown long term but have zero expectations of him in year 1.  Much less short term expectations than I had for smart two years ago.   Smart was widely believed to be NBA ready.  Guys like David Thorpe thought he was a legitimate Rookie of the Year Candidate who would be the most productive player from that draft class over the first 5 years. 

Nobody really expects Brown to contribute significantly as a rookie.  He's a project.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:02:44 AM by LarBrd33 »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
do you know what this conversation is about?

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think people were generally less excited about Jaylen at first because of the disappointment at getting the #3 pick instead of Simmons or Ingram. It really was a crapshoot after those two guys. Following that, we missed out on Durant, we missed out on Butler, we missed out on an imaginary Griffin trade. So it was a disappointing offseason other than Horford. The situation has a lot to do about player 'excitement', and Brown's situation and the events leading up to and after the draft have made it a slight let down that no top 10-15 player was acquired.

I think the overall excitement though, especially leading up to the season and after seeing Jaylen in summer league, is about the same now.

As far as draft expectations go, there was a Bender camp, a Murray camp, a Hield camp or a Dunn or Brown camp. He was up there but after listening to Danny's comments I think it was ultimately between Brown, Hield and Marquise Chriss.

I think that when Smart was picked, he was seen as a guy who would go top 3 in plenty of other drafts so we were so stoked to be getting a player still available at #5.

It was also the first top 5 pick we'd had since the Ray Allen trade, so the excitement was enormous. Whereas this draft was a bit of a let down after missing out on Ben/Brandon Ingram.

After watching Jaylen in Summer league, and seeing his progession in only 3 months, I'm very excited. I would say I'm more excited now than on draft night, and that probably goes for everyone else.

I'd say as far as excitement goes about seeing the two players as rookies, I'd say it's about even. Any time you get a very high draft pick with potential the excitement is through the roof.

If the decibel level was maxed out at a 10 for excitement, I'd say I was a 12 for Marcus and a 12 for Jaylen...

The most exciting thing for me after summer league is seeing Jaylen get to the basket so much.
Smart did this in college but didn't really do much but shoot and defend in summer league. Jaylen, while having bad percentages, showed legitimate ability to get to the basket at will and draw contact- something that all great small forwards can do.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:24:07 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
yea I asked him a pretty straight forward question and he started talking about Jabari Parker. Tps around fellas

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Internet wars are a serious thing.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Just so annoying to try and have a legitimate discussion when someone wants to scream, shout, declare their self appointed expertise- but won't listen or acknowledge to other forum members when it doesn't suit them.

In the real world this is called 'delusion'.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's about the same for me. Though I thought getting Smart meant Rondo would be traded right away. Crowder I don't expect to be traded at all.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Just so annoying to try and have a legitimate discussion when someone wants to scream, shout, declare their self appointed expertise- but won't listen or acknowledge to other forum members when it doesn't suit them.

In the real world this is called 'delusion'.
None of that happened here.   I made some accurate statements that didn't align with what a couple trolls here wanted to believe... so they decided to bring up Jahlil Okafor and declare "victory" when I initially refused to take the bait.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:03:59 AM by LarBrd33 »