Is it a top five offense with Okafor.

Yes
10 (16.1%)
No
46 (74.2%)
Okafor will look like Sully in Two year's
6 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: would the offense be top 5 with Okafor  (Read 11479 times)

Poll: would the offense be top 5 with Okafor
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:29:33 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Okafor
 Horford
 Crowder/Brown
 Bradley
 Thomas

That's a tough five to stop, I think he balances are team nicely.

For the Cousins lovers check out this video, they both play very well. He looks great against Cousin's especially for 20 years old.

https://youtu.be/RXIZEAo9Fec
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:40:48 PM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Poll: would the offense be top 5 with Okafor
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:38:14 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Mods PLEASE delete the other thread with the same name.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:08:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No feel Okafor needs to learn a lot about team play as well as staying on the court.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 03:31:55 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I really think most people are judging him negatively for playing on Philly. The guy threw down the jersey in disgust after he was drafted. The dude is a champion he led Duke his freshman year to a title and he was the best player on the team by far. If you surround him with Al Horford Jae Crowder Marcus Smart Avery Bradley Isaiah Thomas the dude is going to destroy teams you watch anybody besides Philly that gets this kid is going to be very happy for a long time and I hope it's the Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Durant would make this a top 5 offense. Blake Griffin might be able to make it a top 5 offense. Cousins could if he played motivated. James Harden maybe.

But that's the caliber of offensive player you'd need to turn this team into a top 5 offense right away. Okafor is not that type of offensive player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Durant would make this a top 5 offense. Blake Griffin might be able to make it a top 5 offense. Cousins could if he played motivated. James Harden maybe.

But that's the caliber of offensive player you'd need to turn this team into a top 5 offense right away. Okafor is not that type of offensive player.
exactly.  Okafor is a good offensive player and would certainly improve the offense, but no where near enough to make this team a top 5 offense overall.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I pray every day we trade for him.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Now that we have Horford, i think Okafor would be a better fit that Noel. People talk like this kid isn't going to get better in all phases of the game in the near future. He certainly will, and he would be a tantalizing addition to the C's.

For me , it all depends what we have to give up to get him.

But he won't make us a top 5 offensive team, but he will be a nice offensive option.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
preposterous

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Okafor is gonna be really good. I'm baffled more teams aren't after him.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 02:15:15 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I have to imagine we offered at least smart but I would be afraid to offer Bradley ( only pg who can d up other pgs and happens to be best in NBA at it) and crowder, who I think could still be improving  and he's a binky of mine. Smart and Olynyk to me I'd see as  fair in my opinion but I do think once Olynyk is gone the celts will regret giving him up.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 04:33:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

exactly.  Okafor is a good offensive player and would certainly improve the offense, but no where near enough to make this team a top 5 offense overall.

Wrong. People he was 20 years old last year! He is absolutely 100℅ on pace to be better than Cousin's. I would much rather have him than Cousin's especially for the asking price.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 10:29:51 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Wrong. People he was 20 years old last year! He is absolutely 100℅ on pace to be better than Cousin's. I would much rather have him than Cousin's especially for the asking price.

That's crazy talk. Boogie is a top 15 player in the league while playing for the absolute worst franchise in the sport. Cousins does EVERYTHING better than Okafor (outside of maybe ISO post ups) and to compare the two is laughable. When engaged, Cousins is a legit two way player who's an absolute force on the court. If he's lucky, Okafor becomes a new age Al Jefferson. There will never come a day where Okafor is as impactful as Cousins is on the court. His defense, rebounding, versatility and shooting will never improve THAT dramatically. I'd rather give up Brown and another Brooklyn pick for Boogie than give up Smart, KO and whatever else for Okafor. If it all pans out, Boogie can be that transformational superstar that pushes you to contention. Okafor will never be that. Just not talented enough.

As to the original question, no. Okafor would not make this team a top 5 offense. And if he was on this team, the only possible way to play him is off the bench in a 6th man kinda role, where his horrible defense can be less evident and his offensive skills can actually be utilized. The problem with Okafor right now (besides the defense), is that in order to put him on the floor, your whole offense needs to be centered around utilizing his low post skills. Otherwise, he's a total black hole out there. Problem is, if you did that with this suggested line-up, your taking the ball out of IT's hands WAY too much, your taking too many possessions away from a Horford/Thomas P&R, and your giving a lot leas shots to the Bradley, Crowder's and Olynyk's of the world, all of which would result in a net negative to the offense. When you add in the fact that he can't guard basically any "stretch" bigs, or switch on defense AT ALL, or protect the rim, it becomes clear he's just not playable in the starting line up.

I get that Okafor has a really pretty post game. I get that he can get buckets when it seems like a lost possession. I get that he's a lot of people's binkie. But mark my words, Ainge wouldn't trade much of substance for him. As a said before the draft, there's no way he moves a top 5 pick for him, or even a guy like Smart and other stuff. He's just not good enough, and he never will be. Very limited ceiling. If all goes well, he'll have a nice long career like Big Al did. Pretty good player, but not one you trade a lot of assets for or build your offense around. And with Okafor, just like with Al, if you don't build your offense around him, he's going to hurt more than he helps.

We should probable let it go, cause Okafor isn't coming here any time soon.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 10:32:03 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Edit: Double Post.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

That's crazy talk. Boogie is a top 15 player in the league while playing for the absolute worst franchise in the sport. Cousins does EVERYTHING better than Okafor (outside of maybe ISO post ups) and to compare the two is laughable. When engaged, Cousins is a legit two way player who's an absolute force on the court. If he's lucky, Okafor becomes a new age Al Jefferson. There will never come a day where Okafor is as impactful as Cousins is on the court. His defense, rebounding, versatility and shooting will never improve THAT dramatically. I'd rather give up Brown and another Brooklyn pick for Boogie than give up Smart, KO and whatever else for Okafor. If it all pans out, Boogie can be that transformational superstar that pushes you to contention. Okafor will never be that. Just not talented enough.

As to the original question, no. Okafor would not make this team a top 5 offense. And if he was on this team, the only possible way to play him is off the bench in a 6th man kinda role, where his horrible defense can be less evident and his offensive skills can actually be utilized. The problem with Okafor right now (besides the defense), is that in order to put him on the floor, your whole offense needs to be centered around utilizing his low post skills. Otherwise, he's a total black hole out there. Problem is, if you did that with this suggested line-up, your taking the ball out of IT's hands WAY too much, your taking too many possessions away from a Horford/Thomas P&R, and your giving a lot leas shots to the Bradley, Crowder's and Olynyk's of the world, all of which would result in a net negative to the offense. When you add in the fact that he can't guard basically any "stretch" bigs, or switch on defense AT ALL, or protect the rim, it becomes clear he's just not playable in the starting line up.

I get that Okafor has a really pretty post game. I get that he can get buckets when it seems like a lost possession. I get that he's a lot of people's binkie. But mark my words, Ainge wouldn't trade much of substance for him. As a said before the draft, there's no way he moves a top 5 pick for him, or even a guy like Smart and other stuff. He's just not good enough, and he never will be. Very limited ceiling. If all goes well, he'll have a nice long career like Big Al did. Pretty good player, but not one you trade a lot of assets for or build your offense around. And with Okafor, just like with Al, if you don't build your offense around him, he's going to hurt more than he helps.

We should probable let it go, cause Okafor isn't coming here any time soon.

Your argument is garbage my good man.

He plays on a bad team, check Philly last year.

The only thing Cousin's did better as a rookie than Okafor was Rebound better and had more assists. They are both garbage defensively, and Okafor had more blocks per game 1.2 to .8

Okafor scored more than Cousin's at 17.1 for Okafor, Cousin's 14.1  ppg, and he was much more efficient from the field, a pathetic .430% for Cousin's to a .508% for Okafor.

Cousin's didn't explode until ages 23 to 26.

Okafor was better as a rookie. Cousin's fg% was atrocious for a 6'11" big man.