Poll

Who is the best fit next to Horford in our frontcourt?

Amir Johnson
4 (8%)
Kelly Olynyk
9 (18%)
Serge Ibaka
1 (2%)
Demarcus Cousins
20 (40%)
Blake Griffin
4 (8%)
Kevin Love
1 (2%)
Nerlens Noel
5 (10%)
Aaron Gordon
0 (0%)
Harry Giles (or some other 2017 rookie)
5 (10%)
Gordon Hayward
0 (0%)
Jahlil Okafor
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Poll - Who is the best fit next to Horford in our frontcourt?  (Read 3046 times)

Poll - Who is the best fit next to Horford in our frontcourt?
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Above are players that A) have been connected to us in some way over the past few years, B) are plausibly attainable either through trade or free agency in the next year, and C) potential fits at either the 4 or 5 spot next to Horford.

So my question is this - assuming a lineup of IT, Bradley, Crowder, and Horford, which of the above players (or some player not listed) would be the best fit next to Horford at the 4 or 5 in our system?

Now, I'm specifically talking about basketball fit, but it's impossible to ignore context, too. So things like contract status/amount and whether or not we can get them as a free agent versus a trade can also come into consideration.

For me, I think two names up there stand above the rest in terms of fit - Ibaka and Cousins.

Ibaka is seemingly an absolute perfect fit next to Horford. Not only is he a two-way force that can hit the three like Horford, but he also is an excellent rebounder and seemingly fits the character of our team. It also helps that he's a free agent next summer, though I certainly wouldn't give him the full four year max. I think we're a legit title contender with Ibaka at the 4 for us.

As for Cousins, he is less of a perfect fit than Ibaka, but his overall higher talent level makes up for that weakness in this regard. He'd give us a second go-to scorer in the starting lineup, an excellent rebounder, interior scoring, and even spacing with his improved jumper. While he's not the defender that Ibaka is, especially on the perimeter, he's a solid interior defender that would undoubtedly help our rim protection and interior defense. The only issues with him are what it would take to trade for him and his potential attitude issues, though I don't think they'd be a problem in our environment.

Who do you see as the most ideal fit for us next to Horford?

Re: Poll - Who is the best fit next to Horford in our frontcourt?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Cousins simply as the best player listed.  If Ibaka didn't seem to slip a bit last year, I'd say he was a fine second option behind Cousins but I'd look into other options first.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I took Griffin because I want more of a speed and athletic team. He can play D when he wants and can add a ton to the offense in creating.  His rebounding is also good. But I don't see him leaving LA. I'd then go for Cousins. Two players that would interest me not on the list are Favors and Gallinari depending on the right deals.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Blake Griffin

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I took Noel he's young, athletic and a good defender along with the fact Horford's outside game has improved so much it should allow for Noel to clean up the boards.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 07:53:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Aim high, Boogie.

Aim realistic, Noel.

Aim reality, Amir or Olynyk.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Off that list, I'd say KO is the best fit.

You want Horford AT THE VERY LEAST TOUCHING the ball on the block on at least half your possessions.

On the rest of the possessions, Al and KO provide some darn elite spacing for IT, Rozier, Brown, Smart, Green, and Crowder to tear it up in.  Kelly's also a sweet passer who can put it on the floor and is more than willing to dump it off to Horford for the guaranteed bucket.

KO fits him better than anybody else based on that alone, but obviously a guy like Cousins would make you a better a team if you're just looking at Cousins replacing Kelly in a vacuum.

Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I like Cousins as a fit because he is big enough to bang with anybody in the post that Horford doesn't want to body up (a concern he's expressed in the past) and can dominate in the post, making the most out of Horford's ability to stretch the defense. He's also developed a decent outisde shot of his own that can make things easier for Horford when he posts up, which he'd probably be doing against smaller players as a PF. Cousins also covers Horford's rebounding.

Griffin makes sense to me too, as a big rebounder who can use the extra space of a stretch-5 like Horford as well as anyone in the league could.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Expected a reasonable poll based on our roster LOL.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 10:46:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Expected a reasonable poll based on our roster LOL.

Huh?

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:58:59 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Above are players that A) have been connected to us in some way over the past few years, B) are plausibly attainable either through trade or free agency in the next year, and C) potential fits at either the 4 or 5 spot next to Horford.

So my question is this - assuming a lineup of IT, Bradley, Crowder, and Horford, which of the above players (or some player not listed) would be the best fit next to Horford at the 4 or 5 in our system?

Now, I'm specifically talking about basketball fit, but it's impossible to ignore context, too. So things like contract status/amount and whether or not we can get them as a free agent versus a trade can also come into consideration.

For me, I think two names up there stand above the rest in terms of fit - Ibaka and Cousins.

Ibaka is seemingly an absolute perfect fit next to Horford. Not only is he a two-way force that can hit the three like Horford, but he also is an excellent rebounder and seemingly fits the character of our team. It also helps that he's a free agent next summer, though I certainly wouldn't give him the full four year max. I think we're a legit title contender with Ibaka at the 4 for us.

As for Cousins, he is less of a perfect fit than Ibaka, but his overall higher talent level makes up for that weakness in this regard. He'd give us a second go-to scorer in the starting lineup, an excellent rebounder, interior scoring, and even spacing with his improved jumper. While he's not the defender that Ibaka is, especially on the perimeter, he's a solid interior defender that would undoubtedly help our rim protection and interior defense. The only issues with him are what it would take to trade for him and his potential attitude issues, though I don't think they'd be a problem in our environment.

Who do you see as the most ideal fit for us next to Horford?

I wouldn't consider Ibaka an "excellent" rebounder, he's regressed in that department each year (only averaged 7.7 rebounds per 36 this year). I think a great fit would honestly be Kevin Love. He and Horford have strengths and weaknesses that I actually believe would play well off each other. Horford's interior defense (along with Crowder and AB on the perimeter) can help make up for Love's lack in that category. Love also immediately becomes our best rebounder and helps tremendously where we really need it. Not to mention, Love is a fantastic outside shooter and passer and will be a great fit in Brad's offense. We definitely need shooting and rebounding, and Love provides that.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 11:04:09 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
We need a banger center that rebounds and protects the rim.  And I want him to make at least 75% of his free throws.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 11:46:12 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Giles would be a pretty perfect fit.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Tyler Zeller...

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I forgot to also mention I think Millsap would also be a good pairing.