Author Topic: Blake and Westbrook updates  (Read 2828 times)

Blake and Westbrook updates
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
It looks like both guys that the C's may have been targeting have both given indications that there will not be a trade before 2018. It looks like Danny may have to look elsewhere.

Blake Griffin
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/report_blake_griffin_plans_to_re_sign_with_clippers_will_not_be_traded/s1_127_21638758l

per Kyler:
Sources close to the situation say win or lose, Rivers is not open to trade talks on Griffin or (Chris) Paul and that he’s not worried about either walking away in July.

If that is genuinely true, then there is no point in speculating about Griffin. The Clippers can and likely will offer more money in free agency and with Griffin’s business interests in the L.A. market, the odds of him picking up and walking away are pretty slim.

The only scenario in which that becomes remotely plausible is if the Clippers just fall apart and even the harshest critics would struggle to make a case of that being likely.

Russell Westbrook
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/24/report-thunder-almost-definitely-wont-trade-russell-westbrook-this-season/

per Kyler (again):

Sources close to the situation say the Thunder’s view on Westbrook is to see what he can do as the single focal point of the team and plan to keep the noise out of the equation until next summer.

sources close to the situation have said, there is almost no scenario in which the Thunder look at trades with Westbrook this year.

Building around Westbrook is certainly the Thunders City’s first choice. According to this report, they’ll give that route at least a full season to work.

Does this mean that the C's have to look elsewhere? or is this just posturing?

Re: Blake and Westbrook updates
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 03:37:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I don't think we were ever really targeting those two to begin with. It was all media speculation, and they just don't seem like the type of players that Ainge and Stevens would want for this team imo.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Danny Ainge is always interested in any in-his-prime All-Stars that could become available.

I agree, however, that neither Westbrook nor Griffin is an obvious fit for the Celts.

At this point, it's hard to see who will be an ideal trade target for the Celts.  Cousins may very well become at least sort of available this year, but it's reasonable to question whether it makes sense for the Celts to give up a lot to add him to the team.

Kenneth Faried is a guy who I think could help the Celts -- his strengths and weaknesses dovetail nicely with Horford's attributes -- but he's obviously not the most exciting name.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 04:34:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think Danny Ainge is always interested in any in-his-prime All-Stars that could become available.

I agree, however, that neither Westbrook nor Griffin is an obvious fit for the Celts.

At this point, it's hard to see who will be an ideal trade target for the Celts.  Cousins may very well become at least sort of available this year, but it's reasonable to question whether it makes sense for the Celts to give up a lot to add him to the team.

Kenneth Faried is a guy who I think could help the Celts -- his strengths and weaknesses dovetail nicely with Horford's attributes -- but he's obviously not the most exciting name.
I would have been so much happier with Faried a few years ago. It seems like he has really plateaued. I briefly thought he could become average offensively but it just has not panned out.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
continue to build through the draft and free agency.

Start to collect BR trophies in 2019.

I sign up for that all day and night.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I would have been so much happier with Faried a few years ago. It seems like he has really plateaued. I briefly thought he could become average offensively but it just has not panned out.
Faried is not much of a shooter so doesn't seem like an obvious fit for Brad's system.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 06:45:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Faried is not much of a shooter so doesn't seem like an obvious fit for Brad's system.

I do not believe Stevens needs any player to necessarily be able to do anything to fit in his system, even shoot.  Yes he plays with spacing, but he has other important aspects like playing hard that he fits.  He has played a lot with Jared Sullinger jacking up bad shots and has made Smart a definite positive even while he has had awful shooting numbers.  Stevens will adjust to his players.

All that said, I don't think Faried is a big target.  But I do not think Stevens has a rigid system that needs to make sure every player can shoot.  When people talk Stevens system, he is always quick to say he doesn't have one and it's his job to figure out how to use all the best players on the team.  Even with a guy like Horford, who makes sense as a big who can shoot, he was quick to say he needs to figure out Horford because he is one of the best players on the team no question.

Beyond that, I would just say this team has needs besides shooting.  We could really use a slasher and a rebounder.  I think if you could just pick up Faried for a steal contract, we obviously would and could use him to rebound and run the floor.  I also worry about his game regressing and you have to trade for him and give something up, but I think he would be useful no question.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I kind-of just assumed that Hayward would be our big target next year. That being the case, Bradley and a BKN pick could be on the table for a major trade upgrade (this may be where Cousins fits in).

There are still options - Westbrook / Griffin are 'sexy' names, but they aren't the only names. Hayward is by far the most likely option of any free agent. I guess (if you want him), we just have to hope that Utah once again underperforms.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:40:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It looks like both guys that the C's may have been targeting have both given indications that there will not be a trade before 2018. It looks like Danny may have to look elsewhere.

Blake Griffin
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/report_blake_griffin_plans_to_re_sign_with_clippers_will_not_be_traded/s1_127_21638758l

per Kyler:
Sources close to the situation say win or lose, Rivers is not open to trade talks on Griffin or (Chris) Paul and that he’s not worried about either walking away in July.

If that is genuinely true, then there is no point in speculating about Griffin. The Clippers can and likely will offer more money in free agency and with Griffin’s business interests in the L.A. market, the odds of him picking up and walking away are pretty slim.

The only scenario in which that becomes remotely plausible is if the Clippers just fall apart and even the harshest critics would struggle to make a case of that being likely.

Russell Westbrook
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/24/report-thunder-almost-definitely-wont-trade-russell-westbrook-this-season/

per Kyler (again):

Sources close to the situation say the Thunder’s view on Westbrook is to see what he can do as the single focal point of the team and plan to keep the noise out of the equation until next summer.

sources close to the situation have said, there is almost no scenario in which the Thunder look at trades with Westbrook this year.

Building around Westbrook is certainly the Thunders City’s first choice. According to this report, they’ll give that route at least a full season to work.

Does this mean that the C's have to look elsewhere? or is this just posturing?
Both "rumors" were pure speculation.  Just made up on twitter and the mod from RealGm who is now writing for Celticsblog.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 08:43:09 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't think we were ever really targeting those two to begin with. It was all media speculation, and they just don't seem like the type of players that Ainge and Stevens would want for this team imo.
IMO if you're not interested in an opportunity to acquire players of that talent level, I'm not exactly sure who we should be waiting to get unless it's James or Curry. Westbrook is a top 5 player and Griffin is a top 15 player. There are no players of similar stature on this roster. While it's unlikely that Griffin will ever really be available, it's certainly possible that OKC may see the  futility of their attempt to sign Westbrook to a long term max contract by adding Griffin. 

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I like this roster and would like to see what it can do without a big shakeup. That said, there still needs to be a consolidation trade made. Ainge is going to have to look for not-quite-all star guys. Players like Batum, Middelton, Beal, Galinari, Favors. Not necessarily those players specifically, but players in that orbit.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 09:39:44 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Outta respect  to the OP'S opinion . From my experience as a 25 year old from Harlem Newyork' replacing C's with K's is a blood gang trait. Also his hand signals in that group picture indicates he is with the "5-9 Brim" Blood set. As a racist as it sounds' any   urban band teenager or young urband adult will come to that same or similar conclusion
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:00:49 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 10:10:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Yeah, I think Boogie becomes the main (and actually realistic) target this year at the deadline. Unless either A) Brooklyn miraculously has a competitive start to the season, or B) Sacramento actually figures a few things out and is in good position to be in the playoffs this year, which are both pretty unlikely, then I think there's actually a pretty good chance that Cousins is a Celtic by February. There just seems like too much happening in the right direction for that trade not to happen at this point, especially if the Brooklyn pick is looking as promising as it is expected to be.

If we don't get Boogie, then I agree with the Hayward talk as a realistic target next year. Could he play the small-ball 4 full-time next to Horford, though? If he could, then he'd actually be a pretty good fit for us, but hopefully KO will finally take the next step and prove that he's a good longer term solution at the 4 for us.

I also wouldn't mind someone like Ibaka, who I think would be a near perfect fit for our system at the 4. A lineup of IT, Bradley, Crowder, Ibaka, and Horford is title-contending in my opinion, though I wouldn't max him out by any means.

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 05:28:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Yeah, I think Boogie becomes the main (and actually realistic) target this year at the deadline. Unless either A) Brooklyn miraculously has a competitive start to the season, or B) Sacramento actually figures a few things out and is in good position to be in the playoffs this year, which are both pretty unlikely, then I think there's actually a pretty good chance that Cousins is a Celtic by February. There just seems like too much happening in the right direction for that trade not to happen at this point, especially if the Brooklyn pick is looking as promising as it is expected to be.

If we don't get Boogie, then I agree with the Hayward talk as a realistic target next year. Could he play the small-ball 4 full-time next to Horford, though? If he could, then he'd actually be a pretty good fit for us, but hopefully KO will finally take the next step and prove that he's a good longer term solution at the 4 for us.

I also wouldn't mind someone like Ibaka, who I think would be a near perfect fit for our system at the 4. A lineup of IT, Bradley, Crowder, Ibaka, and Horford is title-contending in my opinion, though I wouldn't max him out by any means.
Yeah, that's the problem. I wouldn't want to pay Ibaka's next contract either. Which is too bad because the lineup you described could be a monster defensive unit that also stretches the defense at every position.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008