Author Topic: Colangelo: foreign rivals need to 'get their acts together'  (Read 5981 times)

Colangelo: foreign rivals need to 'get their acts together'
« on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »

Offline andraz.frece

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
I can't seem to link the video, it was on GameTime. He said: ''I'm all for raising the bar for global basketball... Basketball is the No. 2 sport in the world, but we just need to see these other countries get their acts together and become more competitive.''

Thoughts?

Re: Colangelo: foreign rivals need to 'get their acts together'
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Shouldn't be surprising, the guy is a jerk and a moron. This arrogant stupidity is par for the course.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:57 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Is he angling for a more global job (FIBA)? Maybe he thinks he's accomplished as much as he can with team USA., and seems to have godfather status within the nba.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The irony here is what he is complaining about is already coming true.  Spain, France, Argentina and Serbia are decent teams.  They are "getting their act together", Colangelo.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:25:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He should be careful what he wishes for but there's a point there - the overall level of talent worldwide is going up, but we didn't see a rival on the level of Spain or Argentina over the last few Olympic cycles. 

US had some struggles but the gold medal game was literally as uncompetitive as the Dream Team's gold medal game, despite a squad that no one would call comparable to 92.  Shouldn't be happening in 2016 from the world' perspective.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Without the full context, questions, etc. this statement looks much worse than it actually was.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/jerry-colangelo-usa-basketball/89085294/

RIO DE JANEIRO — Not long after Team USA won Olympic gold for the third consecutive time, downing Serbia 96-66 on Sunday at Carioca Arena I to finish 8-0 in these Games, the program’s managing director threw down the gauntlet on the rest of the basketball world.

When asked by an international reporter about the margin of victory in the finale, Jerry Colangelo — the former NBA executive and owner who rehabilitated the national program in 2005 — made it quite clear that he wasn’t about to apologize for the one-sided outcome.

“I’m all for raising the bar for global basketball,” he began. “The more interest in basketball on all levels, I’m for. I’m a lifer in the game. I love the game. Basketball is the No. 2 sport in the world, (but) we just need to see these other countries get their acts together and become more competitive.

“I’d love to see that. Everyone would love to see that. I’m not going to be making excuses for anyone about our (dominance). Someone said to me (after the game), one of the officials said to me, ‘You know next time you play, you ought to play with four.’ And I said, ‘No, maybe the other teams better get their act together and compete.’ ”

There’s a Kevin Durant-sized rub here, of course, as the 2016 edition of Team USA cut their gold-medal mission much closer than their predecessors. They were pushed from beginning to end by Australia (98-88), then survived three-point games against Serbia and France (94-91 and 100-97, respectively) before finding their way again against Argentina (105-78) in the quarterfinals.

Before facing Serbia, Team USA won yet another close game in the semifinal against Spain (82-76). By comparison, the 2008 and 2012 Team USA Olympic squads had only cut it that close twice in 16 combined games — both in London (a 99-94 win against Lithuania and a 107-100 win against Spain for the gold medal).

When asked by USA TODAY Sports if the close games were a product of other teams catching up or the Americans simply not playing to their potential, Colangelo said, “A combination of all of it. But what I’m just saying is you look around, you look at the programs that may be big-time programs going forward. People are talking about Canada, people are talking about Australia, they’re talking about Argentina losing their (older) players. Some of the programs are going up, some are going down, but the healthiest thing for the game of basketball is to have competition around the world that makes it even more intriguing. But we’re just going to continue to do everything that we do to stay on top.”
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:17:42 AM »

Offline andraz.frece

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Without the full context, questions, etc. this statement looks much worse than it actually was.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/jerry-colangelo-usa-basketball/89085294/

RIO DE JANEIRO — Not long after Team USA won Olympic gold for the third consecutive time, downing Serbia 96-66 on Sunday at Carioca Arena I to finish 8-0 in these Games, the program’s managing director threw down the gauntlet on the rest of the basketball world.

When asked by an international reporter about the margin of victory in the finale, Jerry Colangelo — the former NBA executive and owner who rehabilitated the national program in 2005 — made it quite clear that he wasn’t about to apologize for the one-sided outcome.

“I’m all for raising the bar for global basketball,” he began. “The more interest in basketball on all levels, I’m for. I’m a lifer in the game. I love the game. Basketball is the No. 2 sport in the world, (but) we just need to see these other countries get their acts together and become more competitive.

“I’d love to see that. Everyone would love to see that. I’m not going to be making excuses for anyone about our (dominance). Someone said to me (after the game), one of the officials said to me, ‘You know next time you play, you ought to play with four.’ And I said, ‘No, maybe the other teams better get their act together and compete.’ ”

There’s a Kevin Durant-sized rub here, of course, as the 2016 edition of Team USA cut their gold-medal mission much closer than their predecessors. They were pushed from beginning to end by Australia (98-88), then survived three-point games against Serbia and France (94-91 and 100-97, respectively) before finding their way again against Argentina (105-78) in the quarterfinals.

Before facing Serbia, Team USA won yet another close game in the semifinal against Spain (82-76). By comparison, the 2008 and 2012 Team USA Olympic squads had only cut it that close twice in 16 combined games — both in London (a 99-94 win against Lithuania and a 107-100 win against Spain for the gold medal).

When asked by USA TODAY Sports if the close games were a product of other teams catching up or the Americans simply not playing to their potential, Colangelo said, “A combination of all of it. But what I’m just saying is you look around, you look at the programs that may be big-time programs going forward. People are talking about Canada, people are talking about Australia, they’re talking about Argentina losing their (older) players. Some of the programs are going up, some are going down, but the healthiest thing for the game of basketball is to have competition around the world that makes it even more intriguing. But we’re just going to continue to do everything that we do to stay on top.”

I still think this part is a bit disrespective. You need to understand that some of these countries are very small (Serbia for example has 7 million inhabitants) and it's not like these teams aren't trying and competing, they're just physically outmached.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The international rules/tournaments seem to help inferior opponents more IMO.  Shorter games, shorter 3 point line (also causing the lane to clog more), more physical (which I'm fine with), shorter time to prepare(I think with a legit training camp like prior to the NBA we would play even better.  Also I don't believe there were any practices during the Olympics.  These other teams are used to playing with each other more, and I believe they start their preparation before we do with longer off seasons in the Euro leagues ect.), single game elimination, and lastly what is up with these balls they use instead of the NBA ball. Lol I remember in the 1992 Olympics the same ball was used, and no idea why FIBA had to change the ball that is used in the NBA.  A lot of NBA players it seems it takes time  to get used to the ball, and international leagues use it year round.

I think if these games were played under NBA rules and regulations the margins of wins would be even greater.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The 2020 and 2024 Croatian Team just got some decent bulletin board material.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the problem for the international teams is that the depth of talent among foreigners is good, but there really isn't any one truly outstanding player.  There aren't any foreign players right now who have even a chance of competing for MVP in the NBA.

The best foreign player at the moment is probably either Giannis or Dirk, right?  I wouldn't put either of them in the top 15.  Perhaps Wiggins or Simmons will change that.

The other issue I see is that the best foreign squads -- typically from Eastern Europe / Mediterranean countries -- are strong at the forward / big positions, but fairly weak at the guard spots.  There aren't very many high quality players at guard from that part of the world. 

Look at the pipeline of young foreign talent right now -- Simmons, Porzingis, Bender, Hezonja, Hernangomez, Poeltl, Valanciunas, Jokic, Saric, Nurkic, Fournier, Zubac, Zizic, and so on -- it's almost all 4s and 5s.

Spain tends to produce solid game managers -- Rubio, Rodriguez, etc -- but nobody who really scares you scoring wise. 

Goran Dragic is the only recent scoring-minded guard from Eastern Europe who has really made it as a starting caliber player in the NBA.

It's hard to put a really dangerous team on the floor in today's version of the game if you don't have any really dangerous ball-handlers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I still think this part is a bit disrespective. You need to understand that some of these countries are very small (Serbia for example has 7 million inhabitants) and it's not like these teams aren't trying and competing, they're just physically outmached.
He's not talking about the players trying and competing in the game.  He's talking about the countries trying in their development of good teams through the entire process.  It's like the analogy my mom told me as a kid.  "When I say try hard in school, I don't mean I want you to try really hard to get every question right on a test.  That's a given.  The trying comes in by putting in the time studying all the nights before."

That said, I think you have an excellent point about most countries being considerably smaller in population than US puts them at a disadvantage.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
He's not talking about the players trying and competing in the game.  He's talking about the countries trying in their development of good teams through the entire process.  It's like the analogy my mom told me as a kid.  "When I say try hard in school, I don't mean I want you to try really hard to get every question right on a test.  That's a given.  The trying comes in by putting in the time studying all the nights before."

That said, I think you have an excellent point about most countries being considerably smaller in population than US puts them at a disadvantage.

Yeah, I mean the US population is a shade under 320 million. Other than India and China, it's really not even close with the rest of the world.

And, also, and I mean this in the most unracist way possible, what if we were rolling out just our best white players? We would have Hayward, Parsons, Love, the Plumlee brothers, Korver, McDermott, Lee, Steve Blake, etc. It falls off pretty fast. In our country, we have about 320 million people and those are our best white players. We would get smoked by a number of teams with those guys as our main players and that is with wayyy more people than any other country not named China or India.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The international rules/tournaments seem to help inferior opponents more IMO.  Shorter games, shorter 3 point line (also causing the lane to clog more), more physical (which I'm fine with), shorter time to prepare(I think with a legit training camp like prior to the NBA we would play even better.  Also I don't believe there were any practices during the Olympics.  These other teams are used to playing with each other more, and I believe they start their preparation before we do with longer off seasons in the Euro leagues ect.), single game elimination, and lastly what is up with these balls they use instead of the NBA ball. Lol I remember in the 1992 Olympics the same ball was used, and no idea why FIBA had to change the ball that is used in the NBA.  A lot of NBA players it seems it takes time  to get used to the ball, and international leagues use it year round.

I think if these games were played under NBA rules and regulations the margins of wins would be even greater.

Isn't their ball they use at FIBA smaller? Better outside shooting and the silly 3 point line. Plus hand checking is an admission you don't have the foot speed and need to use your hands to push on the perimeter. That's always been pathetic.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
All he's saying is that the other teams have to get better if they want basketball to even be in the same ballpark as soccer popularity-wise (even if it's already #2 now).

You'll never attract that many fans with 1 superior team and nobody that can compete with them.

The US can't make the sport popular by itself.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Nonsense.  Do you see the US dominating soccer?  No, and much of what Colangelo said has been said about the US soccer system.

He is talking about the competitive advantage Americans have because they have basketball infrastructure that develops kids from the time they are in grade school.