Author Topic: Chad Ford 1.0 (8/23/16)  (Read 13396 times)

Re: Chad Ford 1.0 (8/23/16)
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Once the nets trade lopez or he is injured like last season, the celts will pick in the top 5 again. Yahooo

Lopez injured? From what I remember, he had a really healthy year, and they still sucked it up overall. The injuries they had were to Jack and RHJ.

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Over/under December 15th before we start hearing how overrated / weak this draft class is.

I think we'll start hearing rumblings before college ball even starts. Not that that means anything either. People can say it's weak and it still turns out strong.

It seems like every single year we hear, at some point, that the draft class is weak and overrated.  Over-analysis tends to do that.

And that the following draft is always better, lol ::).

You keep saying this, but go back to the offseason of 2015 and you'll see people referring to the 2016 class as weak and the 2017 class as loaded. Things do change: 2014 is not looking like the epic draft it was supposed to be, and 2015 is shaping up to be a really special one, but those are examples of narratives changing after the draft. I don't think there's nearly as much posturing as you think.

Perhaps not, but it certainly seems like 'next year's draft is always better', in addition to what Pho illustrated, lol ;D. Ugh.  And where have I kept 'saying this'?  I haven't posted on here in, like, a week, I think ;D. Unless of course you were talking to Pho rendering this point moot ;D.

Thought you repeated that, apologies for that.

No problem :).

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2016, 12:22:25 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I can't get enough early forecasts. I understand the criticism for projecting players super early, but in 10 months, our team's future could very well be hitched to a top 6 player in a talented draft class.

High-upside NBA comps for guys Celtics will look at (obviously I'm stretching for effect):

Josh Jackson: Andrew Wiggins
Harry Giles: Chris Webber
Markelle Fulz: bigger Kyle Lowry
Dennis Smith: Jeff Teague
Jayson Tatum: Nic Batum
Ivan Rabb: Chris Bosh

I would love any of them. I would think Giles would be the key target at 6'10 for the Celtics, while Jackson and Fulz would come in behind.

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2016, 07:06:16 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
A top 3 THIY year could really change a lot for the celts.

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 07:06:50 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We need more than the next Nick Batum.

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Once the nets trade lopez or he is injured like last season, the celts will pick in the top 5 again. Yahooo

Lopez injured? From what I remember, he had a really healthy year, and they still sucked it up overall. The injuries they had were to Jack and RHJ.
yeah, Nets don't need an injured Lopez to finish in the bottom 5 again, it just insures it.  As it is, I think the Nets are quite possibly the worst team in the league even with Lopez. 

-I think Simmons is that piece that finally move Philly out of the Dumpster Fire category to the "Really bad" category. 
-I think LA's youth movement should be improved just enough to get to "Really bad" as well.
-Minny should make a leap to "not good enough for playoffs - yet"
-Phx should be better with players coming back from injury
-Miami could go in the toilet without Wade and Deng and if Bosh is out for good but with Dragic, Whiteside and the rest, they should still be better than the Nets even if they throw in the towel (which I can't see them doing after resigning Whiteside)

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
We need more than the next Nick Batum.

Yeah, I would agree that Nic Batum wouldn't get the Celtics to the finals. I'm happy that they decided not to give him $20m per year like Houston did. Tatum, however, could be better (or worse). My point was to show that the Celtics have a legit chance of getting a major contributor in the draft, thus this pick is a major asset. If I were Danny, I would be fielding calls for this pick all year, and try to package it with one of our young guys for an established NBA player.

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Harry Giles is too tall and skinny to be an Ainge kind of pick at PF.

Bam Adebayo, headed to Kentucky, is 6'9'' 240.  That sounds more like Ainge's kind of guy.

Otherwise, I suspect the focus at the top of the draft will be on Jackson and Tatum.
ainge didnt flinch at acquiring jajuan johnson.

But came to regret...
yes, but your post is a non-sequitur.

A non sequitur, in formal logic, is an argument with a conclusion that does not follow from its premise. Wikipedia

Guy posted that Danny drafted Jujuan Johnson, who was tall and lean, as an example of an exception to the rule that Ainge doesn't typically draft that body type.

I posted that he regretted that decision. 

Not sure I understand why that is a non-sequitor.  I wrote it ungrammatically, but that is not the same thing.

Professor?

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2016, 05:11:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Bam Adebayo, headed to Kentucky, is 6'9'' 240.  That sounds more like Ainge's kind of guy.

Otherwise, I suspect the focus at the top of the draft will be on Jackson and Tatum.

But came to regret...

A non sequitur, in formal logic, is an argument with a conclusion that does not follow from its premise. Wikipedia

Guy posted that Danny drafted Jujuan Johnson, who was tall and lean, as an example of an exception to the rule that Ainge doesn't typically draft that body type.

Not sure I understand why that is a non-sequitor.  I wrote it ungrammatically, but that is not the same thing.

Professor?
the context was that a statement was made saying ainge does not draft a particular sort of player. the reply was that he did indeed draft such a player. so the discussion was whether or not ainge drafts a particular type of player.

added onto the discussion was the statement that ainge regrets such a move and no reference was made to overtly connect it to the original discussion. hence the point concerning non-sequiturs. his regret did not logically flow from whether or not he drafts a particular type of player.

a small point, please keep in mind that in my reply to your post i acknowledged the validity of your statement ("yes"). but observed that it did not logically follow the brief discussion.

wiki that.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 05:39:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

But came to regret...

Professor?
the context was that a statement was made saying ainge does not draft a particular sort of player. the reply was that he did indeed draft such a player. so the discussion was whether or not ainge drafts a particular type of player.

added onto the discussion was the statement that ainge regrets such a move and no reference was made to overtly connect it to the original discussion. hence the point concerning non-sequiturs. his regret did not logically flow from whether or not he drafts a particular type of player.

a small point, please keep in mind that in my reply to your post i acknowledged the validity of your statement ("yes"). but observed that it did not logically follow the brief discussion.

wiki that.  ;D
For what it's worth, I'll side woth footey. The comment "But came to regret" was a direct response to the previous comment about Ainge not flinching when he acquired Jajuan Johnson. That doesn't match any definition of non sequitur I've ever heard.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008