Author Topic: Ginobli is proof you should be able to Draft and Stash anyone.  (Read 3250 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 IMHO, it should be the team's discretion where they want to develop there prospect. I don't care what hoops need to be jumped through. Make it happen.

I love that Yabu and Zizic get another year or two of Cajun Seasoning overseas, and if the Celtics thought Jaylen Brown could have gotten better and more minutes at Cal Berkeley than we should have that choice.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with Brown learning the system and Avg, 5 to 10 ppg in Boston with Steven's.

However how awesome would it be to watch Brown every night on sport center, just absolutely blow up playing 35 mins a game and avg 20 ppg and 7 rpg knowing we own his rights.

Heck, it worked with Larry Bird. All I'm saying is let's bring that option to the  table.

Same goes for Rozier, Jackson, Bentil.

Now, back to Ginobli, did you know he was drafted at 22 years of age, came to the Spurs at 25 years old, avg 7 pts 2 rb 2 Ast, and didn't peak until age 30 where he was 19 pts 5 rb 5 Ast. And he remains productive at age 38.

And I think you can credit a lot of his development from playing time overseas.

Re: Ginobli is proof you should be able to Draft and Stash anyone.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:22:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I screwed up the post order, but u get the point.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
IMHO, it should be the team's discretion where they want to develop there prospect. I don't care what hoops need to be jumped through. Make it happen.

I love that Yabu and Zizic get another year or two of Cajun Seasoning overseas, and if the Celtics thought Jaylen Brown could have gotten better and more minutes at Cal Berkeley than we should have that choice.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with Brown learning the system and Avg, 5 to 10 ppg in Boston with Steven's.

However how awesome would it be to watch Brown every night on sport center, just absolutely blow up playing 35 mins a game and avg 20 ppg and 7 rpg knowing we own his rights.

Heck, it worked with Larry Bird. All I'm saying is let's bring that option to the  table.

Same goes for Rozier, Jackson, Bentil.

Now, back to Ginobli, did you know he was drafted at 22 years of age, came to the Spurs at 25 years old, avg 7 pts 2 rb 2 Ast, and didn't peak until age 30 where he was 19 pts 5 rb 5 Ast. And he remains productive at age 38.

And I think you can credit a lot of his development from playing time overseas.

Don't judge him based on stats. The guy was a player from day 1 in the NBA. In fact, he dominated team USA during the olympics in 2004, which was after his second season. The fact is that Pop, for the overall benefit of the team, held him back a bit in terms of offensive freedom.

Vs Team USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBnw6I9p_4Q

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:19:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Good video Eddie I do remember those Argentina teams and he played well. But you understand the point I'm making is his development path was very unique and it turned out very well for him starting at 25 years old in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Does anyone think it would be awesome, and possibly more beneficial for Brown's development, to watch him blow up his sophmore year for Cal and makw a deep tournament run with Rabb, knowing he will be with the Celtics the next Year.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I get you point, from management's perspective.   The marginal players may benefit, but there's a legit argument that you are stunting the earning power of the better players. If a guy can make it at 19 or 20 in the NBA he should have the right to go there.

Hey, I'm 'old school' too and I remember when players generally played 3-4 years of college ball.  I think they came out better players for the experience.  However, it's a different world now.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd much rather have Brown on the Celtics this year than playing at Cal. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I'd much rather have Brown on the Celtics this year than playing at Cal.

Would you rather have him on the Celtics Moranis if he only avg 5 PPG, and with Cal he explodes for 22 Ppg and his confidence goes through the roof?

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP KGLL - I like the direction you are going with this. If teams can draft and stash players overseas and even in the D-League, then why can't they do the same with their current college team? Development is development. I agree that with many of the top prospects it might not be feasible with the money / agents involved (thus removing Brown as an option here), but it would be fantastic with mid-late first rounders and 2nd rounders.

As an added benefit, the NCAA would totally be able to exploit these guys for even more money! I know, it sounds like I am being sarcastic, but the premise would be the same - better competition in the NCAA.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Should we be able to hold back these guys' careers as long as we want?  It's not fair to these guys to be stashed with no recourse to earn a larger contract.

I think the current system is fine. I think the answer is an expanded D-League with real salaries. The question is, who is footing the bill for that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 07:45:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Should we be able to hold back these guys' careers as long as we want?  It's not fair to these guys to be stashed with no recourse to earn a larger contract.

I think the current system is fine. I think the answer is an expanded D-League with real salaries. The question is, who is footing the bill for that?

Absolutely! I am totally in favor of a system where each team officially has an NBDL affiliate and all the players on that club belong to their respective NBA team. Danny and the Cs have basically been punished by acquiring too many picks and have to trade them, stash them, or let them go. This system might also get more people excited about the NBDL since there would be more connectivity between each set of teams - possibly even increasing the NBDL's revenue.

If this is not going to happen, then I think KGLL has an interesting point. Stashing for first round picks should probably be limited to one year, though - no matter where it is taking place.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:45:18 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Bingo.  Look at it from the PLAYER'S perspective.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 10:32:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Honestly, this whole premise just sounds like an attempt to skip the development phase of any and every player altogether in order to get straight to the finished product, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, here, but it just doesn't work that way, and the only way draftees get better is by playing in NBA GAMES, imo - not the d-league, not in China, not in Turkey, not in France, not in Russia, not in Greece, not in Italy, and not in Spain, etc.

It's kind of like companies, today, being unwilling to invest in their employees through training, etc.  They simply don't want to do any of that, and yet they complain that millennials are all 'lazy bullsh1t artists' ::).  What they want is for that learning to be done on someone else's dime and someone else's time, and, again, it simply doesn't work that way.  You can't have experience unless you first get experience, but it seems like businesses and the Celtics are telling these dudes exactly the same thing that I heard in an honors class a long time ago and in a galaxy far far away ;) ;D - do it on your own time ::). What a load of sh1t.  Grow up and get over yourselves ::).

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:47 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Disagree. I care not about the players point of view. It's about the quality of the NBA. The fact that many kids are no where near ready to play major minutes in the NBA.

Actually for entertainment sake, the thought or Demarcus Cousins being in college with just, lets say a half a million dollars. That would be fantastic entertainment.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Disagree. I care not about the players point of view. It'd about the quality of the NBA and the fact that many kids are no where near ready to play major minutes in the NBA.

Actually for entertainment sake, the thought or Demarcus Cousins being in college with just lets say a half a million dollars. That would be fantastic entertainment.

That would also make college sports an arena for professional athletes, something the NCAA and its money machine would never allow.