Author Topic: Charania: Nader agrees to D-League stash  (Read 5677 times)

Re: Charania: Nader agrees to D-League stash
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 09:47:59 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Good to see that he got stashed in Maine, I would have liked to have seen him making more money in Europe, though

I wonder if he rejected the overseas money because it was a longer contract and wanted to stay more flexible next year, or if he wanted to stay here and possibly get signed this year if we make a big deal.  Either way, good luck to him

Yeah, I am perplexed as to why he didn't take his offer in Europe. I hope he doesn't suffer an injury or something that keeps him from cashing in on his talent, if the C's don't pick him up quickly. Let's hope the C's manage some roster consolidation by the trade deadline -- and he's played well enough in Maine to get the call up for the remainder of the season.
This is a stretch, but, could this be a sign of a looming, preseason trade?

Is it possible that the Celtics were able to sell him on staying because there is a trade in the works that would loosen up the roster for him to be called up to the NBA? Or is that purely wishful thinking on my part?

Don't read into it. If Nader is staying because he could get signed if a trade gets made, it's just because he (like us) knows Danny's history, not because he has some inside knowledge
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Didn't realise we'd lose rights if he signed a deal OS. Is it because he is a second rounder?

Huge sacrifice by Nader - he would look at 400K-600K in Europe you would think. Now he will be earning less than a trucker. Kid must seriously believe in himself. Dammm them Maine games will be interesting this year. Might have to get D-League Pass. ;)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 02:45:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They have probably told him he'll be the first call up for any injuries and he'll get some serious $$$$ when they can legally pay him a large amount, like $250k (roster wise).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 07:02:01 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They have probably told him he'll be the first call up for any injuries and he'll get some serious $$$$ when they can legally pay him a large amount, like $250k (roster wise).
I actually doubt he was promised to be the first call-up when you have guys like Mickey, Jackson, Bentil who already are signed to the big club contract.  But you are right that if he is called up the C's would be obliged to sign him to an NBA-level contract.

This is how it was supposed to be played out because apparently Nader agreed to the D-league stash before he was drafted.  Without that promise to Danny, he might not have gotten drafted at all.  The problem (for him) is that he did so well in SL that he had 2nd thoughts about that agreement given that he felt his play was deserving of an NBA-level contract.  Unfortunately, he had no leverage to change his mind.   

This was part of Danny's planned approach to the draft and partly explains why Jackson (and Bentil) got partially guaranteed deals.  Throw in the Euro-stashes, and we understand now how he was able to use all those picks.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 07:17:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Nader > Young /Hunter

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Just curious.. Have we ever sent someone overseas and then they came back and actually made the club? I am trying to think of someone but I cant.
Semih Erden?

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Good to see that he got stashed in Maine, I would have liked to have seen him making more money in Europe, though

I wonder if he rejected the overseas money because it was a longer contract and wanted to stay more flexible next year, or if he wanted to stay here and possibly get signed this year if we make a big deal.  Either way, good luck to him

Yeah, I am perplexed as to why he didn't take his offer in Europe. I hope he doesn't suffer an injury or something that keeps him from cashing in on his talent, if the C's don't pick him up quickly. Let's hope the C's manage some roster consolidation by the trade deadline -- and he's played well enough in Maine to get the call up for the remainder of the season.

Is it possible that the Celtics were able to sell him on staying because there is a trade in the works that would loosen up the roster for him to be called up to the NBA? Or is that purely wishful thinking on my part?

Don't read into it. If Nader is staying because he could get signed if a trade gets made, it's just because he (like us) knows Danny's history, not because he has some inside knowledge

I doubt this. The fact is that there was a promise made by the Nader camp that he would play in the D-League if drafted. Let's not forget he likely wouldn't have gotten drafted if not for that agreement. It would've been a poor business move longterm for Nader's agent if he would renege following success in summer league.

Nader's agent is Cervando Tejeda, who seems to be a new agent, and his rather small client list can be found below. So assuming he burns bridges with Ainge. That would destroy his reputation and likely his ability for teams to want to work with him in the future.

http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Cervando-Tejeda/157
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:39:47 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Is it a 1-year deal? What happens to the Celtics' rights to Nader after the deal expires?

Also, what's in it for the Celtics for Nader to play in the D-League rather than abroad? You'd think he'd find better competition abroad and develop more effectively, if anything.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Didn't realise we'd lose rights if he signed a deal OS. Is it because he is a second rounder?

Huge sacrifice by Nader - he would look at 400K-600K in Europe you would think. Now he will be earning less than a trucker. Kid must seriously believe in himself. Dammm them Maine games will be interesting this year. Might have to get D-League Pass. ;)

We wouldn't have lost his rights if he had signed overseas, only if he didn't play professional basketball for a year, if Danny hadn't offered him a 2nd round tender, or if we had signed him to an NBA deal

Is it a 1-year deal? What happens to the Celtics' rights to Nader after the deal expires?

Also, what's in it for the Celtics for Nader to play in the D-League rather than abroad? You'd think he'd find better competition abroad and develop more effectively, if anything.

The rights aren't affected by the deal.  As long as he doesn't take a year off of pro basketball, we have his rights until we sign him (or trade his draft rights)

The advantage of the DLeague is that he will be playing in the Celtics' system (we run the same system in Maine as in Boston), and the potential to sign with the Celtics midway through the season (if the roster allows for it) without needing to get a buyout figured out
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'd be shocked if he could have gotten that much in Europe.  If he has an offer from a Tier A team, he would have taken it, and I don't know the Celtics would have objected, given the high level of competition he'd go against.  But a lot of the lesser teams, and even some of the better ones, run into frequent financial difficulties, and players often find themselves with pay checks that are late, for the wrong amount, or completely non-existent.  It's one reason some of the Asian leagues have become more popular with American players, because they pay on time.

Here's a story about Colton Iverson's struggle getting paid all he was owed, and getting sued by his former team despite them owing him money.  http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/08/colton_iversons_former_team_wi.html

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 08:12:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

That's probably true. In the meantime, I'm going to create an imaginary scenario where Danny lays out his master plan to Nader for a big trade before the season starts that involves a 3-for-1 where the one is a star up-and-comer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 09:15:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
He just looks like an NBA player

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, here's my thought, Danny had advised Nader's agents that he will either be dealt as part of a package, or, brought up when that trade is completed.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

That's probably true. In the meantime, I'm going to create an imaginary scenario where Danny lays out his master plan to Nader for a big trade before the season starts that involves a 3-for-1 where the one is a star up-and-comer.

If Ainge has a master plan for a trade, he's not sharing it with a guy like Nader.  He's probably not sharing it with any player on the team.

If there is any promise involved, it would be that Nader will be given at least a partial guarantee when the time comes to sign him to a NBA contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 07:15:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Celtics need to stash Young in China

FREE NADER .....my battle cry this year.