Author Topic: Perhaps the Celtics don't need fireworks?  (Read 7177 times)

Perhaps the Celtics don't need fireworks?
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:22:20 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Isaiah Thomas is a big check mark. Bradley and Horford are also. A healthy Crowder could be great. Amir is very good and underrated. Smart and Olynyk could be ready to "grow up" like Bradley did. Jerebko looked solid in the playoffs, but he is what he is. I could see him turning into a rotation guy on a championship team.

Jaylen is a rookie, but sometimes they are good. Plus there is Gerald Green who is not Pierce/KG ancient.

Of course we would have to win it all like the rare Pistons team with no so-called superstar. Maybe Isaiah counts. It is a long-shot that way with no diva star, but it is rare to end up with one of the best of the best players anyway. You can't be so cynical to think it can't be done. The whole could be greater than the sum of the parts.

Maybe we will be missing a Kendrick Perkins for those rare games when giant opposing centers pose a threat. That is a big question mark. Amir and Horford are good, but will they be up to the task?

My name is celtics pride on this blog, so you know I am wearing green goggles to think we could win it all as is.

I admit we probably won't, but I would not be surprised if we crack 60 wins. The only potential fireworks I see happening are the Brooklyn pick and a free agent for the following season. The trade rumors we hear about are too risky and usually for both teams.

I believe there are going to be a lot of easy wins.

Each Stevens' year we have started out slow then poured it on in the second half. But those teams were always unbalanced or up in the air and mediocre.

This year we should be able to pile on wins out of the gate.

Seeing that Stevens' teams usually get better as the year proceeds, we should be the talk of the town deep into the playoffs.

Ainge needs to let the GM game come to him and not do anything too risky. He has turned the corner with free agents. He got Al Horford.

Now we need to make the jump from a 48 win team into one that is considered one of the top five teams in the league. I think it's gonna happen. If we are one of the top five teams, then why couldn't we win it all? This is supposed to be a bridge year, but I think it will go much better than that.

Re: Perhaps the Celtics don't need fireworks?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The fifth best team in the league last year was the Clippers, right?

I could see the Celts maybe having a season like that, if all goes really well. Even then, they'd need a lot to break in their favor to get to the Finals.

Just being good enough to be one of the best teams is the first big step. I agree with you there.

Matchups matter a lot in the playoffs though. I'm interested to see how the Celts look against the Cavs and Warriors in the regular season. At first blush I tend to think the Celts lack an answer on either end to the big scoring wings those two teams have. Against the Cavs, I would also expect that rebounds will be an issue.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:58:16 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I agree with this.  I like the direction the team is going.  They have a very good team as is.  They have a rookie who may turn out to be very good ( I think he has a ton of potential and seems to be a very hard worker) and they have what should be a very good draft pick next year.  They have a bunch of young guys who could break out and become big parts of a top team.  They are heading in the right direction, just keep heading there.  Who knows, maybe Brown turns out to be great.  Maybe the guy they get next year will.  Maybe they both will. I'd love to find out. 

I am not a fan of the hired gun move.  Like I do not have any love for Kevin Garnett.  I thought he was great for us and appreciate everything he did but I also would not have a problem if Gerald Green took back the number 5.  To me 2008 was about Pierce and Tony Allen, and Rondo and Perkins.  The other guys were just hired guns.  That's what this team would become if the fireworks happened, a bunch of hired guns.  I don't like to just cheer for laundry.  I am not going to suddenly fall in love with guys I have hated for the last decade or so (Love, Griffin, etc). 

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:19:42 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I do not know if we need fireworks.... But 1-2 good 3p shooters and another 2 good centers would be acceptable

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 12:53:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree with this.  I like the direction the team is going.  They have a very good team as is.  They have a rookie who may turn out to be very good ( I think he has a ton of potential and seems to be a very hard worker) and they have what should be a very good draft pick next year.  They have a bunch of young guys who could break out and become big parts of a top team.  They are heading in the right direction, just keep heading there.  Who knows, maybe Brown turns out to be great.  Maybe the guy they get next year will.  Maybe they both will. I'd love to find out. 

I am not a fan of the hired gun move.  Like I do not have any love for Kevin Garnett.  I thought he was great for us and appreciate everything he did but I also would not have a problem if Gerald Green took back the number 5.  To me 2008 was about Pierce and Tony Allen, and Rondo and Perkins.  The other guys were just hired guns.  That's what this team would become if the fireworks happened, a bunch of hired guns.  I don't like to just cheer for laundry.  I am not going to suddenly fall in love with guys I have hated for the last decade or so (Love, Griffin, etc).

So was Parish a hired gun then? 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 01:35:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We got horford.  That's fireworks.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:16:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
We got horford.  That's fireworks.
Yes Hordford is, at Roman candle level though.
While Green is sparklers.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:01 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I agree we might not need fireworks.

Right now we have a team full of solid veterans.

We also have Brown, Smart, KO, Rozier, Mickey, etc.

If a couple of those guys make the leap it changes things completely.

Then we have a likely top-5 pick coming next year, and another high pick the year after that, not to mention our stashes and other picks.

We'd have to be pretty unlucky to not hit on at least one of them. And even if it's just a single star, a guy of that caliber might be the one that makes Boston an even bigger destination.

Odds are good a couple of these guys turn into stars.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 07:26:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Good because odds are we are not getting them.

Ainge knows we are not contenders but he is not going to mortgage the future for mediocrity.   We are a solid team that should be good but I do not see us winning the title.   I would love to be wrong in that regard.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Good because odds are we are not getting them.

Ainge knows we are not contenders but he is not going to mortgage the future for mediocrity.   We are a solid team that should be good but I do not see us winning the title.   I would love to be wrong in that regard.
We also have 2 good players getting some seasoning overseas. Next year's draft seems to better everyday. If it is a top 3 pick they all are good. We will hopefully get some ECF experience and then in 2017-2018 have a team ready to win. I think there is still a shot a Boogie this Trade dead line. Maybe we can get D Jordan if Blake bolts. The Celtics are on the rise and players will come here. We may make our own fireworks with Smart, Brown and KO. Maybe Hunter can spread the floor for group two, too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Most agree this team should win 50-something games.  Whether they break 55 (or 60) is more about Brad Stevens and his ability to get the most out of these guys and ensure they are committed to playing defense.  The advantage of seeing the roster as pretty much set at this point (no more fireworks) is bringing the team together with cohesion and the right spirit to play AS A TEAM with everybody buying into their roles.  A strong team spirit with the belief that they can beat anybody on any given night is essential.

I look forward to a good training camp and players coming out of there with the right positive mental attitude.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

So was Parish a hired gun then?

I was too young when he and even DJ were acquired  As far as I knew they were always Celtics.  I actually remember being surprised when I found out Parish played for Golden State. 

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm with you man.  I don't think we do. It's more about making smart trades vs rushing anything.  I think deals will be made eventually but probably won't be how people think. 

I like the building approach to this.  We aren't going to be able to keep everyone but there's no rush.

The internet makes it seem that way and I hate it. There's a difference between being aggressive and things actually happening.

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:28 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Celtics will be a really good regular season team...and once again, dry up in the playoffs.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.