Author Topic: Olympic Soccer vs Olympic Basketball - Amateur vs Pro participants  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
why is it that for soccer , there are only amateur level players but for basketball it is full of pro players, for example the stacked USA team ?

Maybe one day this will change and if you play at the NBA or a PRO league , you are not allowed to participate. 

thoughts

Re: Olympic Soccer vs Olympic Basketball - Amateur vs Pro participants
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 02:09:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm not sure, but I imagine it would totally take the spotlight off the World Cup tournament if they allowed pro soccer players in the olympics. I wonder if that plays a major role in some way.

There is nothing comparable to the world cup for basketball. The world championship tournament of basketball is not even close.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm not sure, but I imagine it would totally take the spotlight off the World Cup tournament if they allowed pro soccer players in the olympics. I wonder if that plays a major role in some way.

There is nothing comparable to the world cup for basketball. The world championship tournament of basketball is not even close.

Sports politics?
Isnt the olympics suppose to be for amateur participants?

I have nothing against what is going on now , just wonder

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Under 23 years of age (and 3 overage players) isn't exactly "amateur". For example, Neymar is still playing.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 06:23:16 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Sports politics?
Isnt the olympics suppose to be for amateur participants?

I have nothing against what is going on now , just wonder

I have heard the whole olympics are for amateurs for years, yet I am honestly oblivious to when/how this started. I know that Bolt made something like 32 million last year, and I cant even imagine what Phelps/Biles/Ladecki are going to make from endorsements. So does it only apply to team sports? Well then Tennis players shouldnt play in the olympics in doubles. Its honestly an interesting subject.

Or is it you cant earn a salary to play the game, but if the game leads you to getting paid for said games via endorsements its okay?
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
why is it that for soccer , there are only amateur level players but for basketball it is full of pro players, for example the stacked USA team ?

Maybe one day this will change and if you play at the NBA or a PRO league , you are not allowed to participate. 

thoughts

Major professional leagues are underway right now.  Easier taking just a few guys off those rosters than shutting down the league completely.

If it was a niche sport like Hockey, easier to do.  Soccer/football is a massive world sport. 

Basketball's rules were always dumb because the guys were not playing in the summer anyway.

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 07:30:38 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

They alternate every 2 years, so I don't think that is true at all.  It has more to do with their professional leagues.

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 09:04:50 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

They alternate every 2 years, so I don't think that is true at all.  It has more to do with their professional leagues.

They alternate, yes, but the World Cup is HUGE, mainly because it is the only real international major soccer tournament.

I'm sure the pro leagues, and the money they get out of them is also a major influence though.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 04:02:42 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

hpantazo got it right. fifa doesn't get any money for this and they don't like it. in their mind the players belong to fifa. the leagues don't matter. the same way we have wc we can have the olimpic tournament. as already said neymar is in brazil while barcelona had a game for the local league. if the players are insured (like the nbaers) the teams are ok with international tournaments