Author Topic: What show that ended or was cancelled..  (Read 12371 times)

Re: What show that ended or was cancelled..
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2016, 06:22:42 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I have a fairly long list of regrets of time spent on shows that didn't end with anything resembling a satisfactory ending (premature cancellations mostly)

Dark Angel
Life
Rome
Deadwood
Carnivale
24 (with Jack Bauer)
The Black Donnellys
Point Pleasant
Veronica Mars
The Sarah Connor Chronicles (though I hated much of it)
Firefly/Serenity
Dollhouse
The 4400
Eli Stone
Dead Like Me
Awake
The Class
Young Justice
Birds of Prey
Blade the Series
Tarzan (2003)
Boston Common
Saved (2006)
Hex
The Cape
Drive
Surface
Cover Me: Based on the True Life of an FBI Family
Human Target
Lie to Me
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
Faceless (2006 never got off beyond pilot presentation, it would've been awesome)
Legends
Day Break
Dexter (terrible ending, turned to crap, but I think it could've redeemed itself at any moment)
The Dresden Files (I rather they reboot it though and do it properly)
Eastbound and Down (haven't finished it though, so I'm going to assume I'd want more once I'm done)
Eleventh Hour
The Nine
Ringer
Justice
Kyle XY
Threshold
No Ordinary Family
FlashForward
Forever
New Amsterdam
Twin Peaks (Sequel already on the works)
Hannibal
Thief
Shark
Jake 2.0
Traveler
Jericho
Memphis Beat
Journeyman
The Millers
Luther (not sure if it's cancelled or not at this point)
My Own Worst Enemy
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Running Wilde
Sleeper Cell
Tru Calling
The Unusuals
Joan of Arcadia
Invasion

Those are some that come to mind after a quick browse, I'm sure there are more. Of course, won't mention series that I loved and had to be ended because they turned to pure crap as it went with no real of way of saving it (like The Mentalist)

I'm scratching my head at some of the mentions though considering that they had such a good ending, that there's really no reason to bring it back... in fact I'd hate to see them back and ruin what was a good show (Breaking Bad, Justified, The Shield, etc. for example). Shows that had actual endings to them.

I guess my main interest with most of the list above is to get an actual conclusion to make all the time I wasted on them somewhat worth it, even with the realization that I've watched and gotten attached to quite a few subpar shows.
TP for jogging my memory on so many shows.  Here's what stands out to me:
Freaks and Geeks
Firefly
Dark Angel
Joan of Arcadia
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Journeyman
Jericho (the plot was starting to go downward though)
flashforward
Kyle XY (although it was starting to go off the rails a bit at the end)
Almost Human (add this one.  liked it a lot -- lots of potential)
Limitless (added this one -- really liked this show)
The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Life (really liked this one)
Rome
Rogue (added his one too)
LOST (they rushed to end this due to that freaking writer's strike.  should have changed the cancellation date to properly wrap this up)

I just came into this thread this thread to add Limitless, I loved that one.

That said, for a series that only got off one season, and got cancelled, I actually felt it had quite a satisfactory ending for what they were working with. So, it was easier to swallow than many others.

Rogue - I haven't watched, but planning to... but that show isn't cancelled.

Almost Human - could potentially be on my list, I just haven't watched the final 3 episodes.

LOST - I haven't finished yet, but I don't think it was a victim of the writers strike. They had planned 2 seasons before hand where and when to end it. The writers strike took place in 2008 or so, in season 4... they went 2 seasons beyond that.

Jack dies in plane crash, goes to "island" which is "Purgatory" in Christian terms, has many adventures with many characters provided by Cosmic Central Casting, then finally figures out how to fix his habit of having to fix everyone and everything, and is thus redeemed.  Congrats, Jack, and enjoy the long sleep to come.  Somehow, I think that particular story arc has been exhausted.  ;)

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:05 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Breaking Bad. Not sure it's a good candidate to bring back with Walt dead. And Better Call Saul was a spin off that seemed to get good reviews. But yeah, loved that show.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:12:52 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2016, 09:25:43 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm sure it's been named countless times already, but it sure seemed like Deadwood had at least one great season left in it.  As for other HBO shows, i have some friends that loved Carnivale, and say it's a shame that it got cancelled so soon.

Back in the day, Sports Night seemed like it had a lot going for it.  Too bad it could never find an audience.

Comedy Central for a time seemed like it had a knack for cancelling it's most promising shows.  Ex. Jon Benjamin Has a Van, Dog Bites Man, Michael and Michael Have Issues, The Naked Trucker and T-Bones Show, Sports Show with Norm McDonald, Stella, etc.

Adult Swim does a commendable job of letting their new programming find an audience, but I sure wish they would've made another season of Stroker and Hoop.  That show was great and getting better.

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Firefly and Deadwood.

Two of the very best shows of the aughts.

What was done to them was borderline criminal.
The deadwood last season was so bad.  God I loved that show and then the last season was put together so quickly and from what I understand it was to dive into the surfer God series which I forget but it didn't last at all.

Al is NOT GOING TO STAB and kill that guy to end it, al was scared cmon

John from Cincinnati?

Edit: I'll vote in a few to bring back -

Early Edition
Playmakers (Ballers is fairly good though.)
How to Make It in America
Luck
Flight of the Conchords
The I.T. Crowd (original)
Friday Night Lights
Space: Above and Beyond
Strange Luck

Edit 2:

New Amsterdam
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:06:26 PM by LB3533 »

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Better Off Ted yet, but that definitely deserved a few more seasons
I'm bitter.

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
John in Cincinnati was certainly weird but I like how they were figuring out what he was saying. If I had it right it sounded like he was an alien sent by his grandfather to warn that his father was going to lead an attack on earth. 

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
"Freeks & Geeks" was the one that has always really bothered me.

Cancelled after one season.  That show was special at the time and look at the talent that ended up coming out of that show.  Pretty impressive.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2016, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I have a fairly long list of regrets of time spent on shows that didn't end with anything resembling a satisfactory ending (premature cancellations mostly)

Dark Angel
Life
Rome
Deadwood
Carnivale
24 (with Jack Bauer)
The Black Donnellys
Point Pleasant
Veronica Mars
Firefly/Serenity
Dollhouse
The 4400
Eli Stone
Dead Like Me
Awake
The Class
Young Justice
Birds of Prey
Blade the Series
Tarzan (2003)
Boston Common
Saved (2006)
Hex
The Cape
Drive
Surface
Human Target
Lie to Me
Faceless (2006 never got off beyond pilot presentation, it would've been awesome)
Legends
Day Break
Dexter (terrible ending, turned to crap, but I think it could've redeemed itself at any moment)
Eastbound and Down (haven't finished it though, so I'm going to assume I'd want more once I'm done)
Eleventh Hour
The Nine
Ringer
Justice
Kyle XY
Threshold
No Ordinary Family
FlashForward
Forever
New Amsterdam
Hannibal
Thief
Shark
Jake 2.0
Traveler
Jericho
Memphis Beat
Journeyman
The Millers
My Own Worst Enemy
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Running Wilde
Sleeper Cell
Tru Calling
The Unusuals
Joan of Arcadia
Invasion

Those are some that come to mind after a quick browse, I'm sure there are more. Of course, won't mention series that I loved and had to be ended because they turned to pure crap as it went with no real of way of saving it (like The Mentalist)

I'm scratching my head at some of the mentions though considering that they had such a good ending, that there's really no reason to bring it back... in fact I'd hate to see them back and ruin what was a good show (Breaking Bad, Justified, The Shield, etc. for example). Shows that had actual endings to them.

I guess my main interest with most of the list above is to get an actual conclusion to make all the time I wasted on them somewhat worth it, even with the realization that I've watched and gotten attached to quite a few subpar shows.
Freaks and Geeks
Firefly
Dark Angel
Joan of Arcadia
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Journeyman
flashforward
Rome
LOST (they rushed to end this due to that freaking writer's strike.  should have changed the cancellation date to properly wrap this up)

That said, for a series that only got off one season, and got cancelled, I actually felt it had quite a satisfactory ending for what they were working with. So, it was easier to swallow than many others.

Almost Human - could potentially be on my list, I just haven't watched the final 3 episodes.

LOST - I haven't finished yet, but I don't think it was a victim of the writers strike. They had planned 2 seasons before hand where and when to end it. The writers strike took place in 2008 or so, in season 4... they went 2 seasons beyond that.

Jack dies in plane crash, goes to "island" which is "Purgatory" in Christian terms, has many adventures with many characters provided by Cosmic Central Casting, then finally figures out how to fix his habit of having to fix everyone and everything, and is thus redeemed.  Congrats, Jack, and enjoy the long sleep to come.  Somehow, I think that particular story arc has been exhausted.  ;)

I watched all but the last season of lost then gave up. My wife heard great things so we rematches to a couple episodes in of last season and we both gave up. It just seemed clear they were making it up as they went along and wouldn't answer sooo many mysteries they started. To me it had the best start compared to worst finish ( well I didn't finish really) I've ever seen.

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Dark Angel
Life
Rome
Deadwood
Carnivale
24 (with Jack Bauer)
The Black Donnellys
Point Pleasant
Veronica Mars
Firefly/Serenity
Dollhouse
The 4400
Eli Stone
Dead Like Me
Awake
The Class
Young Justice
Birds of Prey
Blade the Series
Tarzan (2003)
Boston Common
Saved (2006)
Hex
The Cape
Drive
Surface
Human Target
Lie to Me
Legends
Day Break
Eleventh Hour
The Nine
Ringer
Justice
Kyle XY
Threshold
No Ordinary Family
FlashForward
Forever
New Amsterdam
Hannibal
Thief
Shark
Jake 2.0
Traveler
Jericho
Memphis Beat
Journeyman
The Millers
My Own Worst Enemy
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Running Wilde
Sleeper Cell
Tru Calling
The Unusuals
Joan of Arcadia
Invasion

Freaks and Geeks
Firefly
Dark Angel
Joan of Arcadia
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Journeyman
flashforward
Rome

last I heard, Rogue had shown it's last episode.  if not, that's terrific.

Lost was definitely impacted by the strike.  the next to last season was shortened by a number of episodes so they had to cram a lot of stuff into the that and the last season.  threw off the flow of the plot.

One more season for Rogue:
http://deadline.com/2016/08/rogue-renewed-season-4-final-season-meaghan-rath-cast-audience-network-att-directv-1201796303/
TP for the good news BWC!

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Firefly and Deadwood.

The deadwood last season was so bad.  God I loved that show and then the last season was put together so quickly and from what I understand it was to dive into the surfer God series which I forget but it didn't last at all.

John from Cincinnati?

Early Edition
Luck
Flight of the Conchords
Friday Night Lights
Strange Luck

Edit 2:

New Amsterdam

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Better Off Ted yet, but that definitely deserved a few more seasons
forgot about Early Edition.  good upbeat show. 

Was wringing my brain trying to remember Better Off Ted.  another classic example of show that ended too soon.

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Firefly and Deadwood.

John from Cincinnati?

Early Edition
Luck
Flight of the Conchords
Friday Night Lights
Strange Luck

Edit 2:

New Amsterdam

forgot about Early Edition.  good upbeat show. 

Was wringing my brain trying to remember Better Off Ted.  another classic example of show that ended too soon.

I really liked Better Off Ted.

John From Cincinnati,, would've love to see more just to finally try to learn what the heck the show was about. But I don't miss it, it was a mess.

I could use some more Save By the Bell though, The Crazy People and Prison Years.

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Alot that were cancelled that i liked

#1 Carnivale - That show would never have been cancelled if out right now...it was awesome
#2 Rome
#3 Dead Like Me
#4 Haunted
#5 Invasion
#6 Tru Calling
#7 Surface
#8 Angel
#9 Flash Forward
#10 Reaper

A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird