Author Topic: Why Bronze Medalists Are Happier Than Silver Winners  (Read 5185 times)

Re: Why Bronze Medalists Are Happier Than Silver Winners
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
This is what she looks like after plastic surgery.  Note the "duck lips", not just the enhanced cleavage.   :o

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »

Offline go11celtics

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/thoughtful-animal/why-bronze-medalists-are-happier-than-silver-winners/

Agree or disagree?

Absolutely agree, especially in sports like basketball where you lose your last game compared to win your last game. Silver=so close, bronze= Just happy to medal.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
This is what she looks like after plastic surgery.  Note the "duck lips", not just the enhanced cleavage.   :o

Are you saying if she'd gotten bronze she wouldn't be morphing into Lindsay Lohan?

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:37:58 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Bronze medalists are coming off a win in their bronze medal match (unless we're talking track or swim or stuff), while silver medalists are coming off a loss, so that also contributes to happiness levels differing.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:40:16 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/thoughtful-animal/why-bronze-medalists-are-happier-than-silver-winners/

Agree or disagree?

Absolutely agree, especially in sports like basketball where you lose your last game compared to win your last game. Silver=so close, bronze= Just happy to medal.

I agree with this also, I played volleyball in college and getting 2nd hurts. Sure you're second best to some eyes but to you personally, that doesn't matter because to you, you're ONE game away (well a set or two) away from being the BEST team. The closer you are, the more it hurts, that's why you're more likely to see players cry after they lose a finals than players who loses in the 1st or 2nd round in the playoffs. Because you are that close and you do believe you will win the chip

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 01:45:25 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
I said pretty much this in the Olympic basketball thread. Not sure about individual sports but as far as basketball goes, winning the bronze would have to feel better than losing and getting silver.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The problem with the study is it includes match play vs. single event situations.  In match play, the Bronze medal winner(s) are coming off a victory while the Silver medal winner(s) are coming off a loss, which of course affects the human outcome because the Silver medalist thinks, I should have won the Gold while the Bronze medalist is just happy to not finish in 4th with no medal.  What you really need to see is the Bronze medal winner(s) after losing the semi-final match and thus eliminating the chance for gold.  The only people sadder than that is the semi-final loser that loses in the Bronze medal match.  I would bet the single event situations produce far different results than the match play, something I didn't see the study single out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
The problem with the study is it includes match play vs. single event situations.  In match play, the Bronze medal winner(s) are coming off a victory while the Silver medal winner(s) are coming off a loss, which of course affects the human outcome because the Silver medalist thinks, I should have won the Gold while the Bronze medalist is just happy to not finish in 4th with no medal.  What you really need to see is the Bronze medal winner(s) after losing the semi-final match and thus eliminating the chance for gold.  The only people sadder than that is the semi-final loser that loses in the Bronze medal match.  I would bet the single event situations produce far different results than the match play, something I didn't see the study single out.

I've read the actual study; they do exactly the single/match event split you're describing (odd to expect such a basic objection never would've come up) and find the relationship holds for both forms of event.  They also looked at expression both immediately after the event and on the medal stand. 

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/keith.chen/negot.%20papers/MedvecMadeyGilovich_ContFactSatisf95.pdf  Page 6.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Of course, they do.  They pay less in taxes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I've read the actual study; they do exactly the single/match event split you're describing (odd to expect such a basic objection never would've come up) and find the relationship holds for both forms of event.  They also looked at expression both immediately after the event and on the medal stand. 

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/keith.chen/negot.%20papers/MedvecMadeyGilovich_ContFactSatisf95.pdf  Page 6.
ah thanks.  The article didn't mention the stats dividing the line.  Seems odd that a single event vs. match play would yield similar results.  Really doesn't make any sense, especially when the single events aren't that close with a clear winner (think Ledecky, the marathon, etc. from the most recent Olympics, etc.).  I mean I get it if the Silver Medal loses the gold by .01 seconds or something like that or if a heavy favorite only takes the Silver, but in general it really doesn't make sense why it would like that in a single event (race) system.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

ah thanks.  The article didn't mention the stats dividing the line.  Seems odd that a single event vs. match play would yield similar results.  Really doesn't make any sense, especially when the single events aren't that close with a clear winner (think Ledecky, the marathon, etc. from the most recent Olympics, etc.).  I mean I get it if the Silver Medal loses the gold by .01 seconds or something like that or if a heavy favorite only takes the Silver, but in general it really doesn't make sense why it would like that in a single event (race) system.

I think blowouts are a lot less common in race events than close finishes, or at least finishes close enough that 2nd place can easily dwell on a mistake or two they could've avoided and won.  Most races are so short time-wise that a tight finish is almost inevitable.  Similarly bronze medalists more often than not finish very close to 4th and out of the medals entirely. 

...all that said, I happened across a funny video of maybe the most improbable gold medal ever.  I won't  tell you what happens except that the fun starts around 1:30 and apparently it was the guy's strategy to hope this happened. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAADWfJO2qM