Author Topic: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?  (Read 28060 times)

Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Pretty fascinating stuff going on in Brasil.  The latest has the Brasilian authorities saying that at least two of the swimmers said it was made up to cover up an altercation at the gas station.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/swimming/story/_/id/17336394/2016-rio-olympics-video-shows-us-swimmer-damaging-gas-station-fighting-security-guard-ryan-lochte-incident
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Very interesting. Such an embarrassment for the US swim team if true after such an amazing showing at the games. Looks like Lochte knew enough to leave the country quickly and left his teammates behind. I'm just glad Phelps wasn't involved.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
why would they go so far just to cover up they had a fight about a broken bathroom door?

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
These guys are idiots.  Especially Lochte.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:43:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
why would they go so far just to cover up they had a fight about a broken bathroom door?

Well, they are known for their athletic ability not for their intellectual ability.

Apparently Lochte made up the robery story on the phone to his mother to cover up for the incident of breaking the bathroom door at the gas station and having to pay for it. The swimmers never initially reported a robery to the police. Lochte's mother told the press after she got off the phone with him, and then of course the police had to investigate it as a robery.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:51:57 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

it's tough to think clearly after an all night bender.

and the fact this happened at 6am tells me they probably got their hands on some blow after the bar.  they are really lucky this is all that happened to them... 

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Reading between the lines this is what I think happened.

Guys are drunk and break down the bathroom door.  They get confronted by an armed security guard who doesn't let them leave.  The manager shows up and threatens to call the police unless they pay for the door.  Given the swimmers don't want that, they cave and pay for the door, and I suspect pay far more than the door is actually worth.  Thus, Lochte perceives this as a robbery (i.e. armed guard won't let them leave and gets far more money out of them then he should) and then Lochte tells his mom about it and while doing so leaves some things out and embellishes other parts.  His mom tells the press and then Lochte has to cover for his mom.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

it's tough to think clearly after an all night bender.

and the fact this happened at 6am tells me they probably got their hands on some blow after the bar.  they are really lucky this is all that happened to them...

It wouldn't surprise me but I'm pretty sure world-class athletes with nothing to do have the stamina and motivation to stay up all night drinking without the old nose clams, even at 32.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Well, they are known for their athletic ability not for their intellectual ability.

Apparently Lochte made up the robery story on the phone to his mother to cover up for the incident of breaking the bathroom door at the gas station and having to pay for it. The swimmers never initially reported a robery to the police. Lochte's mother told the press after she got off the phone with him, and then of course the police had to investigate it as a robery.

hahaha! wow. so its his mom's fault?
yikes.
seize her passport too!
pretty dumb if thats all this is about.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

hahaha! wow. so its his mom's fault?
yikes.
seize her passport too!
pretty dumb if thats all this is about.
Very dumb.  every college kid learns to never tell their parents about the all-night benders.  no reason athletes shouldn't know that same fact of life

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

So at the conclusion of an epic bender these clowns managed to:

1. Break the law

2. Insult the Olympic Host Country (think about the implications of their "Brazilian thugs posing as police commit armed robbery against nice white boys" story - it is ugly, and taps into a narrative of violence that is already painful for Brazil).

3. Embarrass their country in an event where they should be honoring it

Bravo, boys, that's a brand new type of hat trick! You've achieved immortality.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Reading between the lines this is what I think happened.

Guys are drunk and break down the bathroom door.  They get confronted by an armed security guard who doesn't let them leave.  The manager shows up and threatens to call the police unless they pay for the door.  Given the swimmers don't want that, they cave and pay for the door, and I suspect pay far more than the door is actually worth.  Thus, Lochte perceives this as a robbery (i.e. armed guard won't let them leave and gets far more money out of them then he should) and then Lochte tells his mom about it and while doing so leaves some things out and embellishes other parts.  His mom tells the press and then Lochte has to cover for his mom.

I think that's mostly on the nose, but he probably called his mom hung over.  His mom says "you sound off, what's wrong?" and he made up the robbery story.  His mom then went to the media behind his back.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 05:22:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/18/ryan-lochte-us-swimmers-robbery-rio-gas-station?CMP=twt_gu

apparently the gun was pulled out and pointed at the swimmers. 

"After getting back into the cab the athletes were confronted by a security guard who asked them to pay for the damage. Veloso said one of the athletes became angry with the guard and at that point the guard pulled a gun on him to “calm him.” He did not say which swimmer had the gun pointed at him and said that the athletes were never threatened. He also said there was no violence. Veloso did not blame the security guard for his actions , saying: “He was doing his job.”"

I did look, they paid 100 reals and 20 dollars to leave.  That is like 51 dollars total.  But here is the thing, if someone comes up to you with a gun drawn and demands money, that is pretty much the classic example of a robbery, even if there is a legitimate reason to demand the money (which here there might have been to pay for damage caused). 

Seems to me, Brasil is doing an awful lot to pass the blame to the Americans, when something shady happened.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:33:06 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Before the incident had been reported, he had nothing to 'cover up' for his mother. She didn't know anything.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree with what Moranis is saying in this thread.

The whole thing is pretty lame. Even if it is fabricated, are we all now supposed to believe that you are perfectly safe and sound if you are away from the Rio tourist area well after midnight?

Brazil is taking this wayyyy too seriously...because they know they really do have a problem.