Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28027 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Ugh.  I hate threads like this (sarcasm) because I'm still trying to forget that Ainge somehow took Brown over Kris Dunn *facepalm*.  Not helping, Rollie, lol ;D.

I agree with you there. Kris Dunn could end up haunting the Celtics. Guy looked great in the summer league.

He kinda should... He's 22 and a half years old. Brown won't even turn 20 until the season starts.

Plus SL always favors fast, ball dominant guards.

That last bit is most likely true, but I don't agree about the age thing, at all.  So what if Dunn is 22 and Brown is 20?  Yeah, I get that Dunn obviously has more experience, but he also has this thing called skill ;). Take age out of the equation and just look at the players, for the most part, imo.  Milwaukee demonstrated how to draft this past year, imo, taking guys on both ends of the spectrum - Thon Maker, 19, and Malcolm Brogdon, 23 (he'll be 24 in December).  Just because a guy is younger doesn't mean that he'll become what so-and-so was at a certain age.  They have to have the skills and the work ethic to even make that an argument, imo.  Look at James Young versus Rodney Hood.  Sure, Young averaged more points than Hood did at almost the same age, but Young played on a stacked Kentucky team and had neither the skills nor work ethic/desire to become anywhere near the player that Hood was in college, never mind the NBA, but I don't want to talk about any of this, anymore.  Hopefully, Brown will make me eat my words :).

It's almost like Kris Dunn has had 2.5 more years of existence on Earth to work on his game. Age is a huge factor in development. Look at AD as a 20 yr old and AD as a 22 yr old. It's night and day.

Yes and no.  Dunn's first two years in college were plagued by injuries, which required two surgeries.  It's really only been the last two years that he got the chance to play, consistently.

Also Anthony Davis was always a beast.   

sAs a 19 year old rookie he was putting up 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in 28 minutes while shooting 52% FG (71% at the rim and 38% from midrange).  When you have a big with his physical attributes who can all those thongs (rebound at a high level, defend at an elite level, score in the paint and make a mid-range jumper consistently) then you know stardom is coming.

Brown can rebound and can slash and has nice physical attributes, but everything else is hope at this point.

Now post AD's numbers as a 22 yr old... Never said he was bad as a 20 yr old, but he was still probably a net negative player as most rooks are when he was 20.

Brown is far from a finished product, and to put it bluntly I don't like him as a prospect, but the idea that Kris Dunn shouldn't be miles ahead of him is nuts.

Um everyone already knows that. The point is Dunn is safer. Who knows if Brown gets there. Also not you Randy, but AllBoston was basically saying we shouldn't draft players because of age. So Lillard was a dumb pick according to him.

In the end, yes Brown has more upside. But do we know if he is going to reach his potential? That's why I said the Brown pick could haunt them. No surprise that everyone jumps to conclusions here like I'm saying Dunn is going to be a better prospect.

And Stars are usually good their Rookie Year. Look at their stats. So Rookie impression does matter. Curry, Leonard, Griffin, Lebron, Wade, Bosh was even good. I can go on and on.

Why take the safer pick?  For a playoff team picking 3rd without a real superstar, you always take the guy who has the best chance to be the best player a few years down the road.  Now if the safer pick also has the best chance to be a superstar, that is even better.

I'm suspicious of the whole set of assumptions around the idea of "superstars".  But having said that, Jaylen Brown has the gifts to be a workhorse scorer with a complete game - that's rare.

I agree completely that that's a chance worth taking.

Brown will likely divide fans for much of the year; I see people still repeating the conventional wisdom about his handles, for instance, that you heard before Summer League play.

I'm predicting that fans will be mostly enthusiastic by March.

If I kept the pick, I would have taken Bender.  I think he had the best chance of being the best player available in a few years and as a bonus plays a position of need with a skill set lacking on the team.

I doubt Bender's future. The skill set is certainly impressive in a kid of his size; what I doubt is the body and the potential to develop it.

« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Ugh.  I hate threads like this (sarcasm) because I'm still trying to forget that Ainge somehow took Brown over Kris Dunn *facepalm*.  Not helping, Rollie, lol ;D.

I agree with you there. Kris Dunn could end up haunting the Celtics. Guy looked great in the summer league.

He kinda should... He's 22 and a half years old. Brown won't even turn 20 until the season starts.

That last bit is most likely true, but I don't agree about the age thing, at all.  So what if Dunn is 22 and Brown is 20?  Yeah, I get that Dunn obviously has more experience, but he also has this thing called skill ;). Take age out of the equation and just look at the players, for the most part, imo.  Milwaukee demonstrated how to draft this past year, imo, taking guys on both ends of the spectrum - Thon Maker, 19, and Malcolm Brogdon, 23 (he'll be 24 in December).  Just because a guy is younger doesn't mean that he'll become what so-and-so was at a certain age.  They have to have the skills and the work ethic to even make that an argument, imo.  Look at James Young versus Rodney Hood.  Sure, Young averaged more points than Hood did at almost the same age, but Young played on a stacked Kentucky team and had neither the skills nor work ethic/desire to become anywhere near the player that Hood was in college, never mind the NBA, but I don't want to talk about any of this, anymore.  Hopefully, Brown will make me eat my words :).

It's almost like Kris Dunn has had 2.5 more years of existence on Earth to work on his game. Age is a huge factor in development. Look at AD as a 20 yr old and AD as a 22 yr old. It's night and day.

Yes and no.  Dunn's first two years in college were plagued by injuries, which required two surgeries.  It's really only been the last two years that he got the chance to play, consistently.

sAs a 19 year old rookie he was putting up 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in 28 minutes while shooting 52% FG (71% at the rim and 38% from midrange).  When you have a big with his physical attributes who can all those thongs (rebound at a high level, defend at an elite level, score in the paint and make a mid-range jumper consistently) then you know stardom is coming.

Brown can rebound and can slash and has nice physical attributes, but everything else is hope at this point.

Now post AD's numbers as a 22 yr old... Never said he was bad as a 20 yr old, but he was still probably a net negative player as most rooks are when he was 20.

Brown is far from a finished product, and to put it bluntly I don't like him as a prospect, but the idea that Kris Dunn shouldn't be miles ahead of him is nuts.

Um everyone already knows that. The point is Dunn is safer. Who knows if Brown gets there. Also not you Randy, but AllBoston was basically saying we shouldn't draft players because of age. So Lillard was a dumb pick according to him.

In the end, yes Brown has more upside. But do we know if he is going to reach his potential? That's why I said the Brown pick could haunt them. No surprise that everyone jumps to conclusions here like I'm saying Dunn is going to be a better prospect.

And Stars are usually good their Rookie Year. Look at their stats. So Rookie impression does matter. Curry, Leonard, Griffin, Lebron, Wade, Bosh was even good. I can go on and on.
Why take the safer pick?  For a playoff team picking 3rd without a real superstar, you always take the guy who has the best chance to be the best player a few years down the road.  Now if the safer pick also has the best chance to be a superstar, that is even better.

If I kept the pick, I would have taken Bender.  I think he had the best chance of being the best player available in a few years and as a bonus plays a position of need with a skill set lacking on the team.  I didn't like Dunn, but having Dunn would have allowed more future trade options as a lot more teams liked Dunn (and assuming he got minutes he will likely perform better as a rookie because he is older and more prepared thus increasing his potential value).

I would have taken Brown too, why are people assuming I'm against the pick. I was one of the few people who actually liked him before the draft on this board. I'm just pointing out Ainge took a risk because Dunn looks good. And if these picks don't pan out, Ainge's job security will finally be at risk.

« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
jaylen-is man sized but brought up the topic of man strong in regards to marcus
i have sometimes thought some of these bigger kids may have skimped some in the gym
i also wanted jaylen but for reasons i saw in high school play, the kid could move and i saw good handles-although he was prone to just bullying at times
also his jumper and shooting looked fine
his freshman year had a lot of competing interests for his time
now it is all basketball, i think his shooting will be fine for a rookie and his handles will have improved with summer league behind him and his training regime
what a great time to be a rookie  with isaiah and horford and a collection of tough young defenders
anothermonth of focus and we should see a more refined basketball player-

« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2016, 12:42:36 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

If I kept the pick, I would have taken Bender.  I think he had the best chance of being the best player available in a few years and as a bonus plays a position of need with a skill set lacking on the team.  I didn't like Dunn, but having Dunn would have allowed more future trade options as a lot more teams liked Dunn (and assuming he got minutes he will likely perform better as a rookie because he is older and more prepared thus increasing his potential value).

I would have taken Brown too, why are people assuming I'm against the pick. I was one of the few people who actually liked him before the draft on this board. I'm just pointing out Ainge took a risk because Dunn looks good. And if these picks don't pan out, Ainge's job security will finally be at risk.

I agree it's risky.

Dunn was my first choice at #3 because of his polish, but I liked Brown a lot too.

Brown has that extra height and size. Elite SF's are rare in this league, much more so than guards. If Brown pans out it becomes easier to fill in the other holes later.

Danny is shooting for the moon here.

« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dunn is going to be injury prone. He already limping his way into the nba.

Brown was the correct choice

« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

If you're talking about his concussion in summer league, I don't think it's fair to use a head injury as a way to call someone "injuries prone". Unless you're talking about his shoulder surgeries. Then I kinda agree.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I didn't say that at all dude. Don't put words in my mouth. Here's what I said: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=86885.msg2159006#msg2159006

All I did was agree with Randy, because he said that Dunn, at his age, was more successful in summer league, partly due to more experience and also due to the pure nature of summer league basketball. Nowhere in that did I say we should never draft older players.

FYI, I was in the pro-Dunn camp for a few weeks prior to the draft. I was always  in the anti-Brown camp. When I saw Jaylen in summer league, though, I saw a lot of potential. I think he can reach that potential too. I'm slowly starting to like him more and more. I want him to be successful.

But I digress. Don't put words in my mouth, Tank. I didn't say "don't draft older guys because of age". All I did was point out that Dunn's age and playstyle contributed to his success in summer league.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

If you're talking about his concussion in summer league, I don't think it's fair to use a head injury as a way to call someone "injuries prone". Unless you're talking about his shoulder surgeries. Then I kinda agree.
If he walked on his head and shoulders, he'd be limping!

« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

I mean I think Dunn is a better prospect than Jaylen, I just think comparing his age 22 season to Brown's 20 yr old season is super unfair.

Superstars are usually good as rookies, but not always. Particularly in the HS era. Kobe took a while to get cooking, and plenty of 2nd tier stars took several years to blossom. I don't see Brown as a superstar, but if he has a meh year it doesn't mean he can't be a top 20-40 type player which is a good outcome.

« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
"Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling".

Enough said let's bring this thread back in a year or two...

Character sets the ceiling?  The following guys may disagree:

- Lebron James is the best player in the NBA arguably, and he has horrendous character. 
- Dwight Howard was the best center in the NBA for years, and again, horrible character. 
- Draymond Green is a top 5 PF in the NBA and yet again - shocking character.
- Ditto Rondo during his prime. 
- Cousins is the best center in the NBA now, poor character

They have been pretty good in their prime, and not exactly shining with character

As for the "talent sets the floor" argument, you may want to explain that one to Perry Jones!

Lol! Maybe we should start by agreeing on a definition of the word character...
To contest that quote is to imply that just with Talent and without a strong minded competitor spirit that pushes you to go the extra mile and produce the necessary efforts, you can just come in a dominate just because you are talented.
You can see and interpret that quote as you see but the point is Talent ALONE is not enough! You also need EFFORT (consistent), COMMITMENT (to perfect your craft), and sometimes also LUCK (Avoid injuries, fit with team, good coaching to harvest your skills), etc.
By the way, that quote is from Bill Belichick himself...
You can go tell him what you think about his quote.
I personally see in Simmons Flawed Talent (no Jumpers, no post moves) and Little Effort (maybe my personal view but effort wise Simmons didn't bring it as much as I would have expected).
Doesn't mean he can't turn it out and be a dominant force going forward.
But for now, until today, I dont see him as a dominant force and like the skills Jaylen Brown is bringing to the table for my team. Let's see in a couple of years who is the best overall player on both ends of the court...

« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Except that he hasn't had any shoulder problems since the surgeries, but whatever.

« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:27 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

This. The Kris Dunn hype seemed to come largely out of nowhere, a product of many wanting a clear #3 in a draft that just didn't have one.

Out of nowhere?  Really? ::)

Meaning the pre-draft Dunn hype. He was obviously great in SL, which I agree with Randy, was largely due to his age, experience, and athletic ability.

But not skill?

It would be disingenuous to pretend that Dunn isn't skilled. He's had more time to develop those skills, though. It is aslo a pretty indisputable fact that older/more experienced players dominate Summer League--look no further than our very own Terry Rozier. To be clear, I don't hate Dunn; I think he'll have a successful NBA career, likely as a good starter. However, I think calling him the clear choice at #3 and lamenting passing on him is crazy.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2016, 11:25:22 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

This. The Kris Dunn hype seemed to come largely out of nowhere, a product of many wanting a clear #3 in a draft that just didn't have one.

Meaning the pre-draft Dunn hype. He was obviously great in SL, which I agree with Randy, was largely due to his age, experience, and athletic ability.

But not skill?

It would be disingenuous to pretend that Dunn isn't skilled. He's had more time to develop those skills, though. It is aslo a pretty indisputable fact that older/more experienced players dominate Summer League--look no further than our very own Terry Rozier. To be clear, I don't hate Dunn; I think he'll have a successful NBA career, likely as a good starter. However, I think calling him the clear choice at #3 and lamenting passing on him is crazy.

I guess that this is where we disagree.  Who would you have taken at 3, then, and why?  Also, I don't buy the time argument, for the most part, especially when even Skal Labissiere had a much better summer league than Jaylen Brown, even though, yes, it's just summer league, and he's only about 7 months younger than Brown and hasn't even been playing basketball for that long, iirc.  I just don't think that it matters so much with how much time guys have had to develop their skills prior to entering the league as opposed to how they make use of that time, for the most part, if that makes any sense, lol ;D.

« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2016, 12:28:07 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

But not skill?

I guess that this is where we disagree.  Who would you have taken at 3, then, and why?  Also, I don't buy the time argument, for the most part, especially when even Skal Labissiere had a much better summer league than Jaylen Brown, even though, yes, it's just summer league, and he's only about 7 months younger than Brown and hasn't even been playing basketball for that long, iirc.  I just don't think that it matters so much with how much time guys have had to develop their skills prior to entering the league as opposed to how they make use of that time, for the most part, if that makes any sense, lol ;D.

Ehh, probably Bender. I think he could be the perfect modern big man. I understand and am okay with the Brown pick, though. How do you reckon Skal was "much better than Jaylen" in SL? I think it's pretty hard to argue that Skal was better at all, let alone "much better."
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2016, 01:30:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

But not skill?

Ehh, probably Bender. I think he could be the perfect modern big man. I understand and am okay with the Brown pick, though. How do you reckon Skal was "much better than Jaylen" in SL? I think it's pretty hard to argue that Skal was better at all, let alone "much better."

Maybe it's just me, but I saw much more overall skill from Skal is this one game, alone, than anything from Jalen, other than two fadeaways and a couple of spin moves, in the entirety of the summer league, and I didn't even want Skal, lol, bc he was so bad at Kentucky and just looked flat-out awful, but dem post moves, tho ;D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojN1FeyXjNU