Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28031 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2016, 02:03:46 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
jaylens shooting was more than acceptable in his celtic workouts-outside of the obvious bias as a celtic fan
,i thought jaylen the perfect fit for boston not only athletically but because of its wealth of academia
jaylen will thrive with brad and ainge  and fit perfectly with smart ,crowder,rozier and the defensive identity
he will appreciate the history of russell and red and all the hall of famers and aspire to join them in the rafters
he will be a teammate and will not have his eyes on LA or NYC for their markets when it comes time to test free agency
my point was more based on type, attitude  and skill level
their is a different drive to celtics that gets them to come back to win close games or win the 2nd game on back to backs
-there was just something smug about simmons after he made a skillful pass after having too many turnovers or jaylens two blocks the last sending simmons off with cramp
and simmons coming out and using excuse he hadn't played since feb
-and why didn't he do workouts or come to league in shape or respond to jaylens challenge of a workout against him-
so time will tell who will have that drive to maintain ,overcome and play two way basketball while bruised and battered exhausted in a back to back on a west coast swing-l
l

That's what he gets for hanging with Lebron, lol ;D.

« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2016, 02:08:59 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Ugh.  I hate threads like this (sarcasm) because I'm still trying to forget that Ainge somehow took Brown over Kris Dunn *facepalm*.  Not helping, Rollie, lol ;D.

I agree with you there. Kris Dunn could end up haunting the Celtics. Guy looked great in the summer league.

He kinda should... He's 22 and a half years old. Brown won't even turn 20 until the season starts.

Plus SL always favors fast, ball dominant guards.

This. The Kris Dunn hype seemed to come largely out of nowhere, a product of many wanting a clear #3 in a draft that just didn't have one.

Out of nowhere?  Really? ::)

Meaning the pre-draft Dunn hype. He was obviously great in SL, which I agree with Randy, was largely due to his age, experience, and athletic ability.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2016, 03:06:04 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Ugh.  I hate threads like this (sarcasm) because I'm still trying to forget that Ainge somehow took Brown over Kris Dunn *facepalm*.  Not helping, Rollie, lol ;D.

I agree with you there. Kris Dunn could end up haunting the Celtics. Guy looked great in the summer league.

He kinda should... He's 22 and a half years old. Brown won't even turn 20 until the season starts.

That last bit is most likely true, but I don't agree about the age thing, at all.  So what if Dunn is 22 and Brown is 20?  Yeah, I get that Dunn obviously has more experience, but he also has this thing called skill ;). Take age out of the equation and just look at the players, for the most part, imo.  Milwaukee demonstrated how to draft this past year, imo, taking guys on both ends of the spectrum - Thon Maker, 19, and Malcolm Brogdon, 23 (he'll be 24 in December).  Just because a guy is younger doesn't mean that he'll become what so-and-so was at a certain age.  They have to have the skills and the work ethic to even make that an argument, imo.  Look at James Young versus Rodney Hood.  Sure, Young averaged more points than Hood did at almost the same age, but Young played on a stacked Kentucky team and had neither the skills nor work ethic/desire to become anywhere near the player that Hood was in college, never mind the NBA, but I don't want to talk about any of this, anymore.  Hopefully, Brown will make me eat my words :).

It's almost like Kris Dunn has had 2.5 more years of existence on Earth to work on his game. Age is a huge factor in development. Look at AD as a 20 yr old and AD as a 22 yr old. It's night and day.

« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2016, 04:00:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

This. The Kris Dunn hype seemed to come largely out of nowhere, a product of many wanting a clear #3 in a draft that just didn't have one.

Out of nowhere?  Really? ::)

Meaning the pre-draft Dunn hype. He was obviously great in SL, which I agree with Randy, was largely due to his age, experience, and athletic ability.

But not skill?

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2016, 04:05:19 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

That last bit is most likely true, but I don't agree about the age thing, at all.  So what if Dunn is 22 and Brown is 20?  Yeah, I get that Dunn obviously has more experience, but he also has this thing called skill ;). Take age out of the equation and just look at the players, for the most part, imo.  Milwaukee demonstrated how to draft this past year, imo, taking guys on both ends of the spectrum - Thon Maker, 19, and Malcolm Brogdon, 23 (he'll be 24 in December).  Just because a guy is younger doesn't mean that he'll become what so-and-so was at a certain age.  They have to have the skills and the work ethic to even make that an argument, imo.  Look at James Young versus Rodney Hood.  Sure, Young averaged more points than Hood did at almost the same age, but Young played on a stacked Kentucky team and had neither the skills nor work ethic/desire to become anywhere near the player that Hood was in college, never mind the NBA, but I don't want to talk about any of this, anymore.  Hopefully, Brown will make me eat my words :).

It's almost like Kris Dunn has had 2.5 more years of existence on Earth to work on his game. Age is a huge factor in development. Look at AD as a 20 yr old and AD as a 22 yr old. It's night and day.

Yes and no.  Dunn's first two years in college were plagued by injuries, which required two surgeries.  It's really only been the last two years that he got the chance to play, consistently.

« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2016, 04:24:39 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

IMHO age is perhaps one of the most overrated aspect when considering draft prospects.

Is it a factor?  Absolutely. 

But people talk about it as if it is THE factor.  The BIGGEST factor.  Perhaps even the ONLY factor.  That's just silly.

The most important factors are things like physical attributes, skills, personality traits.  What DIES the player have or what CAN the player do that other guys at his position can't do - or at least can't do to the same degree

Some people look aqt Dunn and see  22 year old who isn't a good shooter and who has an injury history. 

I look at Dunn and see a point guard who (relative to his position) has above average height, exceptional length, exceptional strength, elite athleticism, outstanding ball handling skills, elite slashing ability, very good passing instincts, outstanding rebounding ability, elite defensive ability, an elite motor and excellent work ethic.

If I look at Dunn I would say that his size, length, strength, athleticism, handles, rebounding, defense and slashing ability are all areas in which he would have a potential advantage against NBA point guards RIGHT NOW.   

I see a kid who has all of the qualities I just listed, at the age of 22, and I ask myself - how can this kid be anything less then an exceptional prospect? 

If I look at Jaylen Brown I see a guy who (relatively to his position) has average height, above average length, exceptional strength, elite athleticism, elite slashing ability, outstanding rebounding ability, an elite motor and excellent work ethic.   

If I look at Brown I would say that his athleticism, strength, rebounding and slashing ability are areas in which he could have a potential advantage against NBA players at his position RIGHT NOW.

I think of a kid who has those attributes at the age of 19 and I say - he's a guy with some legit upside, but still a ways to go.   Most of his upsides are physical (length, strength, athleticism, etc) - his only standout skills right now really are his rebounding and slashing.  He's your typical very raw, highly athletic type of prospect.

See. when you look at Brown you say that there is a lot of hope that (given his youth, work ethic and motor) he'll really develop some of his skills over the next 2-3 years and become a really nice player.

Then I look at Dunn and I say there's no need to hope, because he ALREADY both the physical talent AND the skill to go with it. 

I'm going to be silly and use the "NBA 2K" game as an example here.

Rookie A: Age = 19 / overall rating = 67 (role player)
Rookie B: Age = 22 / overall rating = 74 (solid starter)

Now can draft Rookie A knowing that he's very young, and hoping that in 2-3 years he'll grow into a solid starter with plenty of untapped potential still remaining.

Or you can draft Rookie B who is a couple of years older, but is already a solid starter with plenty of untapped potential still remaining.

Both players have high potential, and both players WILL improve dramatically from where they are now over the course of their careers.  The only way I see an advantage in being patient with the younger player is is you are utterly convinced that he has a significantly higher 'ceiling', and that he'll develop so much faster then Player B that he will over take him in the next 2-5 years.

Now I know real life is not a game, and I'm not trying to suggest it is - just using this example to illustrate my point that it doesn't matter if Brown is 19 and Dunn is 22. What matters is how good Brown is when he is 23, versus how good Dunn is when he is 23. Will Brown be better then Dunn at the same age?  If so, will he be ENOUGH better to justify waiting the extra 3 or 4 years for him to reach that point?

What if Dunn ends up as John Wall 2.0 and Brown ends up Jae Crowder 2.0 - would you guys be content with that end result?  Because as much as I like Crowder as a nice starter, I'd be pretty bummed if I know we took him when we could have had John Wall.  I'd still be happy having Crowder, but I wouldn't be able to help feeling a bit like "if only we got Wall...". 

« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2016, 04:34:05 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Yes and no.  Dunn's first two years in college were plagued by injuries, which required two surgeries.  It's really only been the last two years that he got the chance to play, consistently.

Also Anthony Davis was always a beast.   

sAs a 19 year old rookie he was putting up 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in 28 minutes while shooting 52% FG (71% at the rim and 38% from midrange).  When you have a big with his physical attributes who can all those thongs (rebound at a high level, defend at an elite level, score in the paint and make a mid-range jumper consistently) then you know stardom is coming.

Brown can rebound and can slash and has nice physical attributes, but everything else is hope at this point.

« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2016, 05:22:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
"Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling".

Enough said let's bring this thread back in a year or two...

Character sets the ceiling?  The following guys may disagree:

- Lebron James is the best player in the NBA arguably, and he has horrendous character. 
- Dwight Howard was the best center in the NBA for years, and again, horrible character. 
- Draymond Green is a top 5 PF in the NBA and yet again - shocking character.
- Ditto Rondo during his prime. 
- Cousins is the best center in the NBA now, poor character

They have been pretty good in their prime, and not exactly shining with character

As for the "talent sets the floor" argument, you may want to explain that one to Perry Jones!

« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2016, 07:24:56 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
What I find a little interesting is Rubio is really good and it's tough to get fair value back if they plan in eventually moving in from him. Dunn must have really blown them away.

« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

sAs a 19 year old rookie he was putting up 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in 28 minutes while shooting 52% FG (71% at the rim and 38% from midrange).  When you have a big with his physical attributes who can all those thongs (rebound at a high level, defend at an elite level, score in the paint and make a mid-range jumper consistently) then you know stardom is coming.

Brown can rebound and can slash and has nice physical attributes, but everything else is hope at this point.

Now post AD's numbers as a 22 yr old... Never said he was bad as a 20 yr old, but he was still probably a net negative player as most rooks are when he was 20.

Brown is far from a finished product, and to put it bluntly I don't like him as a prospect, but the idea that Kris Dunn shouldn't be miles ahead of him is nuts.

« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2016, 09:08:40 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Now post AD's numbers as a 22 yr old... Never said he was bad as a 20 yr old, but he was still probably a net negative player as most rooks are when he was 20.

Brown is far from a finished product, and to put it bluntly I don't like him as a prospect, but the idea that Kris Dunn shouldn't be miles ahead of him is nuts.

Um everyone already knows that. The point is Dunn is safer. Who knows if Brown gets there. Also not you Randy, but AllBoston was basically saying we shouldn't draft players because of age. So Lillard was a dumb pick according to him.

In the end, yes Brown has more upside. But do we know if he is going to reach his potential? That's why I said the Brown pick could haunt them. No surprise that everyone jumps to conclusions here like I'm saying Dunn is going to be a better prospect.

And Stars are usually good their Rookie Year. Look at their stats. So Rookie impression does matter. Curry, Leonard, Griffin, Lebron, Wade, Bosh was even good. I can go on and on.

« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was a fan of Dunn over Brown pre-draft, but Danny/Stevens must really believe in their guard rotation and, more specifically, the development of Smart and Rozier. They also must believe that it is easier to acquire guard talent than it is versatile, physical guard-forwards like Brown. I agree it was a little disheartening to watch Dunn tear up SL, but Brown (yes, at his age) and Rozier were pretty fantastic, too. I am not going to worry about it right now.

The Young over Hood pick was mind-boggling at the time and is even more so now. Hood likely will never be an all-star so it wasn't like a massive fail of epic proportions, but he is a very solid player likely to have an active NBA role for years to come.

« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Um everyone already knows that. The point is Dunn is safer. Who knows if Brown gets there. Also not you Randy, but AllBoston was basically saying we shouldn't draft players because of age. So Lillard was a dumb pick according to him.

In the end, yes Brown has more upside. But do we know if he is going to reach his potential? That's why I said the Brown pick could haunt them. No surprise that everyone jumps to conclusions here like I'm saying Dunn is going to be a better prospect.

And Stars are usually good their Rookie Year. Look at their stats. So Rookie impression does matter. Curry, Leonard, Griffin, Lebron, Wade, Bosh was even good. I can go on and on.
Why take the safer pick?  For a playoff team picking 3rd without a real superstar, you always take the guy who has the best chance to be the best player a few years down the road.  Now if the safer pick also has the best chance to be a superstar, that is even better.

If I kept the pick, I would have taken Bender.  I think he had the best chance of being the best player available in a few years and as a bonus plays a position of need with a skill set lacking on the team.  I didn't like Dunn, but having Dunn would have allowed more future trade options as a lot more teams liked Dunn (and assuming he got minutes he will likely perform better as a rookie because he is older and more prepared thus increasing his potential value).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If you take a safe pick in the Celtic's current position, where we already are making the playoffs, you are a fool.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

- Lebron James is the best player in the NBA arguably, and he has horrendous character. 

hahaha.  The guy is a pro and has had ZERO off the court issues.   Every teammate he has had loves him.  Ridiculous statement.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford