Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28152 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2016, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
jaylens shooting was more than acceptable in his celtic workouts-outside of the obvious bias as a celtic fan
,i thought jaylen the perfect fit for boston not only athletically but because of its wealth of academia
jaylen will thrive with brad and ainge  and fit perfectly with smart ,crowder,rozier and the defensive identity
he will appreciate the history of russell and red and all the hall of famers and aspire to join them in the rafters
he will be a teammate and will not have his eyes on LA or NYC for their markets when it comes time to test free agency
my point was more based on type, attitude  and skill level
their is a different drive to celtics that gets them to come back to win close games or win the 2nd game on back to backs
-there was just something smug about simmons after he made a skillful pass after having too many turnovers or jaylens two blocks the last sending simmons off with cramp
and simmons coming out and using excuse he hadn't played since feb
-and why didn't he do workouts or come to league in shape or respond to jaylens challenge of a workout against him-
so time will tell who will have that drive to maintain ,overcome and play two way basketball while bruised and battered exhausted in a back to back on a west coast swing-l
l

Simmons worked out for the Sixers...

The rest of the post is continued nonsense.

« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2016, 05:01:41 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Brown can stretch the floor bc he showed he can make the open 3. Made 70 out of 100 3 pt shots at the workouts. Lets see how many simmons could make

He also shot .294 in college and .272 in summer league so id say in game he has pretty definitively shown he can not. That doesn't mean he cant improve but hes def shown hes poor 3pt shooter in games.

Those pesky facts again ...

Dude, you've been wrong on most of your takes so far...Just a friendly reminder

I can't stop laughing.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown can stretch the floor bc he showed he can make the open 3. Made 70 out of 100 3 pt shots at the workouts. Lets see how many simmons could make

I made 68 yesterday.

I'm 50 years old and no threat to play in the NBA.

Workouts are meaningless.

Yeahhhh right. Prove it

And making 68 out of 1,000 shots in a span of 2 days does not count young man

« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown shot what like 11-13 threes for all of the SL games? He made 3 open ones. Highlights are on youtube. One he got fouled on (does this count as a miss?)

Not a large enough sample to say he will shoot like rondo at the 3 pt line for his career.  The positives are made a few crucial open 3s and form looks good.  He is no sharpshooter but better than Simmons (rondo like shooter- awkward form, tries to do anything else but shoot. Even when wide open. Pass it to the next guy that is guarded)

« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
"Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling".

Enough said let's bring this thread back in a year or two...

« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I made 68 yesterday.

Yeahhhh right. Prove it

And making 68 out of 1,000 shots in a span of 2 days does not count young man
I believe him.  I haven't shot in years and I'm sure I could get to the point where I could hit 68 out of 100 most of the time within a week.  And decent high school players would crush me in a full court game at this point in time.   Workouts aren't totally meaningless as Bo puts it, but but they definitely aren't as meaningful as some people think.  Nailing shots in a smooth workout rythym obviously doesn't imply that Brown can shoot during an actual game.  But you'd rather he make 68 than 28 in the workout...

« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ugh.  I hate threads like this (sarcasm) because I'm still trying to forget that Ainge somehow took Brown over Kris Dunn *facepalm*.  Not helping, Rollie, lol ;D.

« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

I made 68 yesterday.

Workouts are not meaningless, but your real point is well taken: he's got to do it in games.

It's a useful question, how good does a player need to be at 3pt.%? 

33.3% from three is the same number of points per shot as 50% inside the arc. Are they really equivalent?

« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Brown shot what like 11-13 threes for all of the SL games? He made 3 open ones. Highlights are on youtube. One he got fouled on (does this count as a miss?)

No.

« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52:47 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Ugh.  I hate threads like this (sarcasm) because I'm still trying to forget that Ainge somehow took Brown over Kris Dunn *facepalm*.  Not helping, Rollie, lol ;D.

I agree with you there. Kris Dunn could end up haunting the Celtics. Guy looked great in the summer league.

« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2016, 11:22:40 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

I agree with you there. Kris Dunn could end up haunting the Celtics. Guy looked great in the summer league.

He kinda should... He's 22 and a half years old. Brown won't even turn 20 until the season starts.

Plus SL always favors fast, ball dominant guards.

« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

He kinda should... He's 22 and a half years old. Brown won't even turn 20 until the season starts.

This.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2016, 12:19:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

That last bit is most likely true, but I don't agree about the age thing, at all.  So what if Dunn is 22 and Brown is 20?  Yeah, I get that Dunn obviously has more experience, but he also has this thing called skill ;). Take age out of the equation and just look at the players, for the most part, imo.  Milwaukee demonstrated how to draft this past year, imo, taking guys on both ends of the spectrum - Thon Maker, 19, and Malcolm Brogdon, 23 (he'll be 24 in December).  Just because a guy is younger doesn't mean that he'll become what so-and-so was at a certain age.  They have to have the skills and the work ethic to even make that an argument, imo.  Look at James Young versus Rodney Hood.  Sure, Young averaged more points than Hood did at almost the same age, but Young played on a stacked Kentucky team and had neither the skills nor work ethic/desire to become anywhere near the player that Hood was in college, never mind the NBA, but I don't want to talk about any of this, anymore.  Hopefully, Brown will make me eat my words :).

« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2016, 01:30:52 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

This. The Kris Dunn hype seemed to come largely out of nowhere, a product of many wanting a clear #3 in a draft that just didn't have one.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2016, 01:54:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

This. The Kris Dunn hype seemed to come largely out of nowhere, a product of many wanting a clear #3 in a draft that just didn't have one.

Out of nowhere?  Really? ::)