Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28151 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2016, 04:38:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Red Sox signed Bogaerts when he was 16 and gave him a 410,000 signing bonus.  You don't do that if you don't think the player has talent.  So I'm really confused by the statement.

I'm also confused why anyone would have any idea the type of attitude/work ethic Brown and Simmons will have.  Neither has played a game.  The only thing you really know is Simmons was the consensus #1 pick and Brown was not.  For the purposes of this discussion that is all anyone needs to know.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
The Red Sox signed Bogaerts when he was 16 and gave him a 410,000 signing bonus.  You don't do that if you don't think the player has talent.  So I'm really confused by the statement.

I'm also confused why anyone would have any idea the type of attitude/work ethic Brown and Simmons will have.  Neither has played a game.  The only thing you really know is Simmons was the consensus #1 pick and Brown was not.  For the purposes of this discussion that is all anyone needs to know.

Where was I knocking Bogaerts.  I realize Bogaerts is good and a legit star. I said I'd take players like that any day. I'm the one who brought him up and said I'd take those guys here. There is meaning in words that are lacking over the internet I guess.

The Celtics obviously liked Brown.  So did I.  We drafted him. I wasn't that high on Simmons.  I liked him and understand why he was the consensus #1, but Brown was a guy I really liked.  Is that me saying Bogaerts and Brown aren't legit?  No........ lol.  I'm saying they are actually.

Simmons was a consensus #1 pick by who? Yeah talent wise and everything and had we been up there to take him. Things have a way or working out though. 

I don't think any of these guys are Brady.  Brady was a 6th round pick so what does that mean? Sometimes the consensus is wrong.

I like our core and what we are buildiing.  No reason to worry about what we didn't get here imo. Brown made sense.

I compared him to guys like Bogaerts and Betts and Bradley because him and Smart just fit into that young nucleus for us.  They aren't guys that were heralded as the #1 pick but are guys that were heralded as really good prospects. Bogaerts is a really top player. He was seen as that by a lot of people too including me when he was drafted.

I saw him as a guy who could be a top player.  I don't care where he was drafted. 

I compared Brown to Bogaerts. That's a good thing. I think he can be that level of talent. Marcus can be jackie Bradley in this scenario.

We have Horford and Isaiah.  The Sox have Papi and Pedroia.  Different but veteran cogs nonetheless.  We don't have David Price right now.  Good nucleus though.  We are still building and haven't limited ourselves at all.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:12:06 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Brown was drafted 3rd overall. Marcus was drafted 6th.  Brown hasn't even been in the league yet. Marcus has a couple years.  I think projecting those kind of players is fine.  People on the internet have weird ways of looking for things in what people say that aren't even there and how they rationalize things instead of understanding.  They are both young players. I think both can be really good.

Simmons was the consensus #1 but by who? The Celtics weren't selling the farm to move up and draft him. That's not knocking Simmons either. I just don't think he was worth that.

JB can be the Xander Boegarts of basketball.  Just look at him.  I'm glad we got him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE1Z5y1gcGQ

Dude is a super physical specimen himself.  Has a great attitude.  I am not fretting over Simmons and am glad we got Jaylen.

Underrated even though he even went 3rd to this day.  Some people still think it was a reach. That's good though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:37:16 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
NO

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2016, 06:26:48 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
as the OP i looked at his LSU history  and even checked draft X to double check what i saw in summer league-likes to show off with his passing had 6 turnovers in his best game in  summer league,
draft express red flagged that he avoids contact,trouble rebounding in traffic,standing reach and wingspan not elite ,will not take outside shot in close games,defensive DNA questioned-ability to be coached red flagged
as the OP i talked about pedigree and chip on your shoulder the drive to play hurt,fight over screens,want to play defense,the ability to take contact  or rebound in traffic,be able to take and make shots and plays in 4th quarter
how will he come back from injuries,
will his teammates want to go to war,back alley down and dirty,win at all costs
will he take a charge with someone barreling in,will he offensive rebound and take the hits from nba big boys while on losing team -hey okafor doesn't play defense why should i
what i saw in summer league didn't translate to i want to guard lebron,rip your head off,i;ll rest when i'm dead
-no shot-no defense-no contact
 does -pose for the camera after a nice pass
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:36:24 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Any defense of this has completely avoided any flaws in Browns game while only pointing out Simmons flaws. I get it Brown is a Celtic so he can do no wrong. There's also this sentiment about Simmons playing for a bad team so that will make him not play defense and not give it his all. While that sentiment in its self is questionable, it's irrelevant since that wouldn't be the case cause he'd be on the Celtics.

Not to mention the fact if we wanted to look at them solely as an asset for a trade there's no question that Simmons would be considerably more valuable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:51:48 AM by ABOS (A bit of Sanity) »

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Brown was drafted 3rd overall. Marcus was drafted 6th.  Brown hasn't even been in the league yet. Marcus has a couple years.  I think projecting those kind of players is fine.  People on the internet have weird ways of looking for things in what people say that aren't even there and how they rationalize things instead of understanding.  They are both young players. I think both can be really good.

Simmons was the consensus #1 but by who? The Celtics weren't selling the farm to move up and draft him. That's not knocking Simmons either. I just don't think he was worth that.

JB can be the Xander Boegarts of basketball.  Just look at him.  I'm glad we got him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE1Z5y1gcGQ

Dude is a super physical specimen himself.  Has a great attitude.  I am not fretting over Simmons and am glad we got Jaylen.

Underrated even though he even went 3rd to this day.  Some people still think it was a reach. That's good though.

In all fairness the 76rs weren't trading that pick even if we have up the farm. Simmons was clearly the #1 prospect. And they tanked for 3 years to get that pick.

The Baseball comps don't work cause the comps are too good. For JB to be the Xander of basketball he would have to get Lebron, KD, PG13 level.

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2016, 07:10:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Yes, but you thought Sullinger had a good work ethic, so that disqualifies you.

Here is an article, I don't expect you to read it, because most people are aware of the passivity.

On Simmons
"It's not like he has that Kobe (Bryant), alpha male, rip-your-throat-out mentality, he's a pretty happy go-lucky kid that's horsing around before a game having fun," he said. "I just think he's more comfortable as a make-the-right-play guy."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/14703845/freshman-tracker-why-ben-simmons-take-late-games

I think Simmons is the better talent but Brown took it to him in summer league and blocked him twice.   He clearly had more fire than Ben.   I am going to support the guy we got or have for now.

Here is the NBA file of him for the draft

Please note the cons of him are passion and lack of defensive effort. 

http://www.nba.com/celtics/draft/profile-ben-simmons/

Maybe you do not have cable, perhaps?

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2016, 07:29:57 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Common sense will get you nowhere in these fact-bereft "favorite player" threads.

Good post. TP.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2016, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
as the OP i looked at his LSU history  and even checked draft X to double check what i saw in summer league-likes to show off with his passing had 6 turnovers in his best game in  summer league,
draft express red flagged that he avoids contact,trouble rebounding in traffic,standing reach and wingspan not elite ,will not take outside shot in close games,defensive DNA questioned-ability to be coached red flagged
as the OP i talked about pedigree and chip on your shoulder the drive to play hurt,fight over screens,want to play defense,the ability to take contact  or rebound in traffic,be able to take and make shots and plays in 4th quarter
how will he come back from injuries,
will his teammates want to go to war,back alley down and dirty,win at all costs
will he take a charge with someone barreling in,will he offensive rebound and take the hits from nba big boys while on losing team -hey okafor doesn't play defense why should i
what i saw in summer league didn't translate to i want to guard lebron,rip your head off,i;ll rest when i'm dead
-no shot-no defense-no contact does though-pose for the camera

Your unabashed love of anyone on the Celtics is admirable, as absurd as your conclusions that begat this thread are.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:14 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
not james young-
not philly and its tanking
not players who don't play defense
i like portis,
i like stanley johnson
i like myles turner
i like jimmy butler
i like winslow
i like kris dunn
i like smart,crowder,avery,jerebko
i like aaron gordon
and that tough little guy isaiah

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2016, 07:56:33 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
No way. I was thrilled seeing no sign of the ball handling criticism or he's an athlete, not a basketball player from more than one " expert source". What a bunch of fiction. Thrilled with him.
But I do think Simmon's will be a perennial all str and future superstar. His passing was beautiful to me, especially. I think Philly is a disgrace and didn't deserve him but to me he does look like a franchise player.
   However in my Celtic bias I'll take Brown over Ingram at this very moment.

Completely agree with this. Jaylen was my second favorite in the draft for our team, after Ben. Simmons will most likely become the better player overall. Kris Dunn also has a lot of potential. I think Jaylen fits our scheme well and has the defensive chops to get over 20 minutes per game as a rookie. I'm excited to see a guy with size, great athleticism, intelligence, and an interest in playing defense. I love the prospects of JB playing with Smart.

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Do people think Simmons is a power forward?  He really doesn't look like a power forward:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAwDojUXOs

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Do people think Simmons is a power forward?  He really doesn't look like a power forward:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAwDojUXOs

He looks like a Rondo/Lamar Odom hybrid to me, both in terms of his game and his personality.

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

I think that's who he'll guard. I don't think that'll be his role on offense.

Makes no sense to have him chase 1s, or pull him away from the rim where he's a solid rebounder and a threat to go coast to coast every time he pulls down a board.