Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28175 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
This is really a silly thread, partially because Simmons will likely be special. But even if we were to assume the worst about Simmons, it doesn't mean that Brown is going to be any better.

In short, it's entirely too early to be glad, sad, or mad about anything.

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Not yet, but I think in 2 years we will change our tune.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
No because its irrelevant because neither has played a game yet. So we don't know if either of them who were both top 3 picks will be good or bad. But before Brown was on this team i didn't see anyone saying that hes better then Simmons. So why not wait till they actually play in the NBA before anointing them as good or bad or as Divas (Most Super Stars are Divas) or questioning there health or work ethic.

That's really the crux of the matter. I can imagine us having similar threads for Dunn or Bender had Danny made a different decision.
And I don't think we would ever have a thread like this, have we got the #1 pick.

100% this. And this is where I say "green-tinted glasses".
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't know.  I wanted Brown.  I was saying these same things before the draft.  Isaiah, Smart, Rozier, Brown, Crowder, Bradley etc that gives us a lot of guys who different things are physical, and share the ball.  That's better than one guy or the wrong star.  Distibuters are somewhat overrated that way.  Turner was the same thing.  Smart, Rozier and Brown are going to be able to replace anything Turner brought just sharing the ball and making smart passes.  We traded Rondo because we didn't want that.  3 guys are better than 1 that way. 

Pierce was underrated because he did so many other things and allowed other players to score and mazimize their talent with him. 

Simmons and Ingram are physical specimens and a step above but Brown is a physical specimen too.

Guys like Mcgrady, Vince Carter, John Wall get overrated and never win anything. They are flawed stars. Simmons and Ingram are nice players but I would rather stay away from players like that. Dunn nice pg for a team that can really build with a guy like that but we have Isaiah who is so much better.

I'm saying the same things over and over in different ways though.  But I like our wave of talent.  We did the same thing in the 70's and even with  Russell.  We weren't going to get Chamberlain or even a star to replace Russell so we built with Cowens.

Durant would have been nice, but it's about the right talent as much as the right star players.  Plus Brown is severely underrated and was being underrated during the draft as well.

Peopel will say if Mcgrady had more talent around him etc.  But why don't the clippers win with Chris Paul, Griffin, Deandre etc?    Why are the timberwolves so bad with all that young talent where we are actually good?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:42:38 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Nope. Simmons is a future top ten player. Those guys don't come around often. Philly will be good in the future. Everything worked out for Hinkie.

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Simmons and Ingram are not Durant, Dirk or Duncan. I will say it again.  They are more in line with lesser stars that get overhyped.  Simmons has more a chance than Ingram. But I more see Ingram like James Worthy or a player like that. Or george Gervin at best.  Simmons could be a poor man's Magic or Duncan clone.

They are better than Vince Carter, Mcgrady.  Wiggins and Parker might be too.  MOre on the level of Dominique but I don't know if I even see that.

Parker and Wiggins were being overhyped that way too.  They are better than the Vince Carters and Mcgrady's of the world possibly. But they aren't those other guys.

I like our wave of talent. Brown is good too and really attacks. Has a chance to be a really underrated star vs an overrated one.

Marcus too.  I'll take the underrated developing star vs the overrated one. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:51:57 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Simmons and Ingram are not Durant, Dirk or Duncan. I will say it again.  They are more in line with lesser stars that get overhyped.  Simmons has more a chance than Ingram. But I more see Ingram like James Worthy or a player like that. Or george Gervin at best.  Simmons could be a poor man's Magic or Duncan clone.

They are better than Vince Carter, Mcgrady.  Wiggins and Parker might be too.  MOre on the level of Dominique but I don't know if I even see that.

Parker and Wiggins were being overhyped that way too.  They are better than the Vince Carters and Mcgrady's of the world possibly. But they aren't those other guys.

I like our wave of talent. Brown is good too and really attacks. Has a chance to be a really underrated star vs an overrated one.

Marcus too.  I'll take the underrated developing star vs the overrated one. 

The Red Sox have done everything right this year too except the pomeranz trade really annoys me. That's not a move they had to make. They could have just found guys on the cheap vs giving up a nice prospect.

David Price was also overpaid although that one made sense to me.  Durant would have made sense to me here too although he might have disapointed somewhat.  I think there is better there ultimately.
even if what you say is true, Brown isn't those guys either, which is kind of point.  Simmons is so much the better prospect than Brown that this thread is ridiculous and I stand by my statement that this thread is challenging for the most ridiculous thread ever posted on Celticsblog. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'll take Betts, Bradley and Bogaerts to build with or Smart, Brown and whoever else we get too with the nets picks coming.. 

The Durants of the world if we can get them great but I'lll wait.  I think Betts, Bogaerts and Bradley and Smart, Brown and ? mark are much more valuable to our core than anything to go with Isaiah and Horford.  Crowder, Bradley and Amir and guys like that too.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:59:17 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I'll take Betts, Bradley and Bogaerts to build with or Smart, Brown and whoever else we get too with the nets picks coming.. 

The Durants of the world if we can get them great but I'lll wait.  I think Betts, Bogaerts and Bradley and Smart, Brown and ? mark are much more valuable to our core than anything to go with Isaiah and Horford.  Crowder, Bradley and Amir and guys like that too.

Your comparing Brown and Smart to a top 5 SS in the league and a legitimate MVP candidate? Im so confused buy the point trying to be made here. 

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Your comparing Brown and Smart to a top 5 SS in the league and a legitimate MVP candidate? Im so confused buy the point trying to be made here.

Yeah and who thought those guys would be that.  It's baseball vs basketball It's about building a core.  We can sign free agents outright.  Vs drafting the wrong star players.

My point is I'l take the underrated star vs the overrated one.  We can sign the big name guys outright if we have a good nucleus here and win and are an attractive destination for them.

you would have been telling me obviously you take so and so over bogaerts or bradley or betts a couple years ago.  That's the point.

People don't realize players can get better.  Players are underrated. 

Just look at teams that win in baseball. KC with guys like Hosmer and Alex Gordon and guys like that. Then they sign top players to go with them.  Baseball is differnet but it's really not. You need a core of players and guys are underrated.

Pierce was underrated. So were Cowens, Havlicek and Cousy and Heinsohn and all those guys.  They weren't the Chamberlains of the world.

I'm not saying Smart or Brown are even that but you need a core.

It's better than having the wrong star players.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:09:44 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »

• Joe Mazzulla

Yeah and who thought those guys would be that. It's baseball vs basketball It's about building a core.  We can sign free agents outright.  Vs drafting the wrong star players.

My point is I'l take the underrated star vs the overrated one.  We can sign the big name guys outright if we have a good nucleus here and win and are an attractive destination for them.

you would have been telling me obviously you take so and so over bogaerts or bradley or betts a couple years ago.  That's the point.

People don't realize players can get better.  Players are underrated.

I think i get the point your making but just not a good examples. Bogaerts was highly regarded and was a top 5 prospect in baseball. Betts rose threw the sox organization extremely fast and was regarded as our a best prospect. So who thought they would be that good talent evaluators did. Differnt sport but same talent evaluators who think Simmons is hands down the better prospect.

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We are trying to win a championship here.  We are so different than teams that get stuck in the middle with the wrong stars.  We have flexibility and a very good nucleus of guys.

Teams that get stuck in the middle have the wrong stars and don't have the talent or cap space to improve or know how.

Teams that get stuck at the bottom are the same thing.  They can't pay guys or keep guys and they just leave once they get good. They don't develop any cohesion or plan on how to keep guys.   They just draft bpa and then can't keep them or build anything.

Orlando does this.  They draft good players but then can't keep them.   Washington may lose Wall too because they are mediocre year in and year out. They never can put the pieces around him.

We got Horford from Atlanta because that franchise was stagnant.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:15:21 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2016, 04:21:28 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Betts, Bogaerts and Bradley are complimentary stars anyways. They are  putting up huge numbers because that offense is so good.  It's a team effort truly and everyone is benefitting.  That's the genius of team though.  They are legit though. Bogaerts and guys like Betts and Bradley are legit stars but it's all just firing 1-9.   They are playing for each other.  That's beautiful.

Even Tom Brady as great as he is is a team player and system player too.  He's as much the team around him and the sum of it's parts and he knows this. That's why he is so great.  He knows how to find the right guys.

Boston does it right.  We have Isaiah, Horford, Brown, Smart, Crowder, Bradley, etc.  I'm not saying we are there yet but it's looking good.

Baseball and football aren't that different that way.  It's different roles and players but 9 guys vs 12 on offense.  Basketball  you can only play 5 guys at once but it's still 9-12 guys ultimately.

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »

• Joe Mazzulla
Betts, Bogaerts and Bradley are complimentary stars anyways. They are  putting up huge numbers because that offense is so good.  It's a team effort truly and everyone is benefitting.  That's the genius of team though.  They are legit though. Bogaerts and guys like Betts and Bradley are legit stars but it's all just firing 1-9.  That's beautiful.

Even Tom Brady as great as he is is a team player and system player too.  He's as much the team around him and the sum of it's parts and he knows this. That's why he is so great.  He knows how to find the right guys.

Boston does it right.  We have Isaiah, Horford, Brown, Smart, Crowder, Bradley, etc.  I'm not saying we are there yet but it's looking good.

Baseball and football aren't that different that way.  It's different roles and players but 9 guys vs 12 on offense.  Basketball  you can only play 5 guys at once but it's still 9-12 guys ultimately.

I don't mean too be offensive  and maybe you know what your talking about when i come to basketball i have no idea. But i don't think you know much about other sports if you think Betts and Bogearts are complimentary stars and the Brady is system player so i would stick to basketball comparisons they will be easier to follow.

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2016, 04:31:43 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Betts, Bogaerts and Bradley are complimentary stars anyways. They are  putting up huge numbers because that offense is so good.  It's a team effort truly and everyone is benefitting.  That's the genius of team though.  They are legit though. Bogaerts and guys like Betts and Bradley are legit stars but it's all just firing 1-9.  That's beautiful.

I don't mean too be offensive  and maybe you know what your talking about when i come to basketball i have no idea. But i don't think you know much about other sports if you think Betts and Bogearts are complimentary stars and the Brady is system player so i would stick to basketball comparisons they will be easier to follow.

That's not what I said at all though.  I bet Brady would totally agree with what I said. So would most of the players there.  They are star players who realize they are playing for each other and are as much a sum of the parts.  They compliment each other. Bill Russell would say the same things.  I guess I don't know much though.  People who like to tear people down instead of building them up don't understand team though.

A lot of teams struggle because of that.  They have no concept of that. They don't have a plan to stick by guys and allow them to improve as a team.

Brady is a great leader because he knows how llucky he is and to take advantage of his opportunities and he expects those around him to do the same.  Russell was the same way.  It wasn't selfish though. He truly wanted the best out of everyone around him.  Garnett was a similar player that way and knew he was one of the pieces.

Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time imo. He's a complimentary piece as much as he is a leader though.  He works as hard if not harder than anyone. He also will find you if you are in the right spot. He is unselfish. He is a consumate team player and out for the best interest of the team and the players around him.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:45:11 PM by walker834 »