Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28192 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Simmons is a guy because of his size and potential.
Brown is a guy because of his insane Drive and his extreme work ethic.

Give me the guy with the Drive and the willingness to work over the ESPN anointed silver spoon Star.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This is challenging for the most ridiculous topic ever posted on Celticsblog. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Is that reply necessary? The guy loves his Celtics and likes some of the things Brown seems to bring early over Simmons. Let a guy root for his team.

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 11:56:13 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
No. Simmons more polish and is the better player. Jaylen got too much work to do til he look like a serviceable NBA player.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Is that reply necessary? The guy loves his Celtics and likes some of the things Brown seems to bring early over Simmons. Let a guy root for his team.

amen, these rookies proved nothing yet, while Simmons looks to be the best player, and has shown superstar flashes in the Summer League, I think Brown held his own. I mean I don't think there is much argument if we had #1, we probably would've picked Simmons too. But Brown isn't a scrub or bust yet as most people say. As far as we know if Simmons has poor work ethics or whatever happens, he too can fall off very quickly.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Simmons might have a bad attitude, but he also is super talented. He has the body of a PF and the playmaking skills of a PG.

He deserved getting drafted 1st.

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 12:25:32 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I am in ways.  Simmons is obviously a great talent but I was concerned how he would fit here.  Brown was one of the guys I really liked this draft.

There is no guarantee Simmons is going to live up to his potential either.  I think Ingram was kind of the same thing. 

I was happy with our draft spot and Brown and Bender were the two guys I really liked this draft.

Brown was the right choice.  I'm pretty sold on that.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I don't buy the hype on Simmons. He's certainly no Lebron. He's like a taller Rondo (pre-acl injury Rondo) with less drive to win. How well can someone like that do in today's NBA?

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
 I'll take a secondary level talent that's going to play within a system than a stud player that might not actually be a stud.  That's me though. I don't think Brown and Bender really are that anyways meaning secondary players. They play within a system though.   I don't think Simmons is Tim Duncan/Magic and Ingram is Durant either though. Maybe  a James Worthy, George Gervin type and a poor man's Magic/ John wall. 

I don't think we needed that though.  Brown and Bender are high quality players themselves where the same pressure isn't on them. 

This draft was pretty strong at the top and those were the 4 guys along with Dunn.  We didn't need a pg.  Simmons is a guy you really have to build around.

We had a top 5 pick and 3 was where I wanted to be where we could choose between Brown and Bender this draft and maybe a deal with Dunn.

Brown to me has really good to great potential anyways. He's not Jason Richardson or Kobe. But maybe somewhere between that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:54:18 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 12:35:02 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
In a word: No.
why not add to the conversation instead of a quip that has no reasoning, support, or insights?

Why should one do that?  "In a word:no" sums it all up nicely.  It's a polite way of answering a silly question and post.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
A drug test should be a requirement before signing up as a member on this forum.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This is one of those green-tinted glasses threads that makes you cringe now and will look completely silly in a few seasons.

Jaylen's a nice prospect that we reached for at #3 (think he would've went 7 or later), he could have a really solid career. Maybe, maybe even an all-star career, but you guys are setting him up to be disappointing. They're talent level right now - before even playing in an actual game - isn't on the same level. Simmons will be a star in this league. Right now, it's hard to see Jaylen diverting too much from the Marcus Smart path.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
People always like to knock our draft picks. Rozier last year sucked according to a lot of you.  Bradley as well.  I don't think it's setting people up for disapointment either. It's about saying what a player actually is.

Simmons and Ingram aren't all that.  They are flawed stars themselves who think they are stars before they've even earned that moniker. This was a strong draft but there was no Kevin Durant in this draft.

Brown is nice.  I'm happy with it. He fits what we needed out of this draft.

I'll take the solid player and  player I want any day.  People wanted us to trade the farm for Wiggins, Parker or Embiid. I was happy with Smart for the same reasons.

It's about getting the right players.  A lot of fans do not understand this.  They don't understand how to draft.  It's a lack of whatever it is. I have that feel for certain players.  Most fans don't.  They think you just take this guy or that guy because he's supposedly good. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:03:38 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 12:49:20 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13

Its somewhat necessary imo. Simmons was clear cut above Brown according to any scout. So ya too say that you would rather have Brown is pretty ludicrous. A year from now lets have that discussion but to have it now (before either has played an NBA game) is absurd. If the inverse occurred and we got Simmons no one would be raising the question about rather having Brown then Simmons.

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Some of you guys take online prospect ratings waaaayy to seriously. It's obvious NBA GMs don't care about those ratings either way, and several have openly said so and laugh at those draft projections. Some of this outrage towards anyone who expresses an opinion that Simmons may not be as good as another lottery pick in his draft is going to look pretty stupid in a few years. Bottom line is Simmons is no Lebron and Ingram is no Durant. These guys all have some serious flaws and limitations.