Poll

Ultimate prize:  Winning the Olympic Gold or NBA championship?

Olympic Gold
NBA Championship
Considered equal
Deandre Jordan is only saying this because he has never won a NBA championship

Author Topic: DeAndre Jordan on Olympic golds: "I think they're above NBA rings"  (Read 9178 times)

Re: DeAndre Jordan on Olympic golds: "I think they're above NBA rings"
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 03:31:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think you need both to be considered one of the greatest to have ever played (with rare exceptions) but when it comes to one or the other I think maybe it's a matter of preference.

But if you're the 6th best player on the US Olympic team and you beat the world....or you're the 6th best guy on an NBA championship team....I mean there is no question in my mind I rate DeAndre's gold medal a higher and more impressive achievement than say James Posey's ring. I put Laetner's higher than that.

To me it's a little like saying...which pilot is better...the one that has flown absolutely everything professionally and instructs others and has brought down a plane in a very difficult situation or being the only living fighter pilot to take down a Mig in combat. They're both pinnacle of the field but give me the fighter pilot.

Navy Seal who has only been in one raid or top notch swat team guy that has been in 20. Give me the seal.

I take elites every time if possible.

huh?

Deandre Jordan is on an All-Star team in an exhibition competition. The best players aren't even there. His Gold is not even close to Posey's ring. Celtics owe that ring partly to Posey's defense on Kobe Bryant, and some timely three point shots. Take Jordan off the US team, and its still Gold.

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think you need both to be considered one of the greatest to have ever played (with rare exceptions) but when it comes to one or the other I think maybe it's a matter of preference.

But if you're the 6th best player on the US Olympic team and you beat the world....or you're the 6th best guy on an NBA championship team....I mean there is no question in my mind I rate DeAndre's gold medal a higher and more impressive achievement than say James Posey's ring. I put Laetner's higher than that.

To me it's a little like saying...which pilot is better...the one that has flown absolutely everything professionally and instructs others and has brought down a plane in a very difficult situation or being the only living fighter pilot to take down a Mig in combat. They're both pinnacle of the field but give me the fighter pilot.

Navy Seal who has only been in one raid or top notch swat team guy that has been in 20. Give me the seal.

huh?

Deandre Jordan is on an All-Star team in an exhibition competition. The best players aren't even there. His Gold is not even close to Posey's ring. Celtics owe that ring partly to Posey's defense on Kobe Bryant, and some timely three point shots. Take Jordan off the US team, and its still Gold.
This is the first time I have ever heard the Olympics referred to as an exhibition competition. Is that what Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps are out there doing?

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

huh?

This is the first time I have ever heard the Olympics referred to as an exhibition competition. Is that what Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps are out there doing?

No, Bolt actually has competition. Olympic basketball became an exhibition sport once you let NBA players in.

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The reason he is saying this is because he will get an Olympic Ring, I am not seeing him get an NBA one.

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2016, 04:50:58 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The reason he is saying this is because he will get an Olympic Ring, I am not seeing him get an NBA one.
I would like to see him on the synchronized swimming team.  Pointy toes poking out of the water as he smiles.   As good as being an NBA champion, right?

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd have to agree with Crimson Stallion.

I think that DeAndre is really taking in the fact that he is competing on the INTERNATIONAL Stage in the OLYMPICS...competing for his country.

He's competing against other countries...he's IN a foreign country....meeting foreign players and people from all across the world.

I remember those days vividly - and miss them tremendously...it is quite an experience.

You form a camaraderie with your fellow players (or Shipmates) AND earn the respect and admiration of your competition (or allies or friendly nations).

For me - that "competition" was in the form of conducting exercises with other Navies.

Granted - the closest I've ever been to the Olympics was AFTER our ship visited Barcelona in Summer of 92 - but even THEN you could still feel the magic.

(BTW - the 1992 Olympic team is the best EVER......)

He's not in the Service, per se - but he's performing a great act FOR his country...something that only the top players in the NBA get selected for.

It's honorable.

TBQH they "ARE" more valuable than NBA rings - in essence.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:47:00 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

huh?

No, Bolt actually has competition. Olympic basketball became an exhibition sport once you let NBA players in.
Like the time they got bronze for a team with both Lebron and Duncan on it? That was the year Puerto Rico beat them by almost 20 and then Lithuania (a country with a population smaller than Chicago) beat them

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2016, 08:37:21 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
The answer is 2 and 4. Of all the people that should understand that it should be a Clipper. I bet Melo disagrees with him lol

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2016, 08:38:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
There's an awful lot of hate for the Olympics in this thread that I did not expect to see. Americans are the best in the world at basketball but some of you are acting like other countries don't deserve even the tiniest amount of respect. That's some smug stuff right there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

huh?

Like the time they got bronze for a team with both Lebron and Duncan on it? That was the year Puerto Rico beat them by almost 20 and then Lithuania (a country with a population smaller than Chicago) beat them

Okay the Puerto Rican team is better than the US team. Are you happy now?

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2016, 10:27:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

huh?

Well that year they were. Well no actually. The US got bronze that year behind Argentina and Italy.
I just don't see it as an exhibition at all. I think if you go play Spain with that attitude you lose. And I think the French team is almost all NBA.  Also Australia is getting better all the time. The team I can't figure out is Canada. I think they should be better.

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2016, 10:59:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

huh?

Well that year they were. Well no actually. The US got bronze that year behind Argentina and Italy.
I just don't see it as an exhibition at all. I think if you go play Spain with that attitude you lose. And I think the French team is almost all NBA.  Also Australia is getting better all the time. The team I can't figure out is Canada. I think they should be better.

Honestly, if the US took the Olympics seriously like real business, they would beat almost every other country by at least 20 points.

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2016, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
still think the Olympic mens basketball is not exhibition for US?

Leading by 40 points without even breaking a sweat. Joking and laughing on the sideline.

a LAUGHER in the Gold Medal game. Boring, no excitement exhibition game.

I have seen more competition at an ASG.

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He said it t just get under Docs skin.

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman