Poll

Ultimate prize:  Winning the Olympic Gold or NBA championship?

Olympic Gold
NBA Championship
Considered equal
Deandre Jordan is only saying this because he has never won a NBA championship

Author Topic: DeAndre Jordan on Olympic golds: "I think they're above NBA rings"  (Read 9170 times)

Re: DeAndre Jordan on Olympic golds: "I think they're above NBA rings"
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 12:32:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
They're rarer, that's for sure.  Flipside is the competition's not as strong or the schedule as grueling.  DeAndre isn't really known as a deep thinker in the league, but if he thinks golds are better, what's the problem?  Let him think it.  Not like he's a Celtics, and not like anybody here's gonna get either one to compare.

Lol

And speak for yourself, buddy! :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 01:43:29 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
we drink haterade with our positive dinner..

*sippin*

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 03:01:57 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
As long as he keeps playing for that joke of a coach he'll never know what having an NBA ring is like.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 03:55:02 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Wow, the consistent lack of patriotism here is pretty disturbing.

These guys are professional basketball players. 

That means they are paid to play basketball.  Basketball is actually their job, their team being the company they work for, and the team owner effectively being their employer.  You play in a league that contains upwards of 300 other men in your country who are selected to participate in this league, you compete only against only those in your own home country.  If you win, you're only representing the team owner who pays you.  As an NBA player, you'll get to play 15-20 years in the NBA.  That's 15-20 chances you have at winning a championship.  Bill Russell has what - 13 of them? 

The Olympics come once every four years.  Over the duration of a man's NBA career (15-20 years if you are lucky) he may see three, four or at the absolute most five Olympic teams assembled.  Each time only 12-15 of the very best players in the NBA are hand selected out of a pool of 300+ NBA players, to be on that team.  That basically puts you in the top 5% of players in the best professional league in the world.  Merely being SELECTED to the Olympic team is a huge, huge honor and an incredible achievement. 

Just to put into perspective, lets say you are a 25 years old star entering your prime, and you only JUST miss out on making the Olympic squad.  You won't get another chance until four years later, when you're 29 years old.  Lets say you happen to have an untimely major injury (ACL, etc) and cannot play on that team.  The next opportunity will be another four years later.  By then you'll be 33 years old, you'll probably a shadow of your former self, and you're probably no longer good enough to make the team.   Put yourself into that scenario.  Think about just how hard it is to even PLAY on a USA Olympic squad.  Think about how many great players there are in the league, and that YOU were selected above so many who are probably just as good as you are.

Now think about what you are playing for - your country!  You're not playing to make some rick owner's pockets richer.  You're playing for national pride.  You're playing for the chance to help show the world that your country is still the best.  As an NBA team if you win, you will make a lot of fans in your city happy.  As an Olympian if you win, you'll make a lot of fans in your entire country happy. 

Then think about the opportunity to spend months living, training and playing alongside some of the biggest stars in your country - guys you normally have the pain of having to play against.  Suddenly you get to play WITH those guys to help battle for your country. The ability to get to know guys like this in ways that you normally never would - I can assure you that guys like MJ, Bird and Magic would have left the 1992 Olympics with so much more appreciation for each other then they would have had before they got there.

Somebody said it's like an All-Star game.  Except in an all-star game you have nothing to play for, and nothing to lose.  It's an exhibition game.  Score 30 or score 10, nobody REALLY cares.  Win or lose, nobody REALLY cares.  All that matters is that you put on a big show, dunk whenever you can, do some flashy stuff for the fans, and collect your pay-cheque.   

Imagine playing for a storied franchise like the Celtics, going deep in the playoffs, and eventually losing in the NBA finals in 7 games.  It hurts, but you'll always look back with some sense of pride knowing you were one win away from a championship - that's quite an achievement.

Now imagine you are playing for Team USA, you go undefeated, and then you lose a nail-biter in the gold metal game, and walk home with the silver.  Imagine the sense of embarrassment - going down in in history for being a member of the only Olympic team (since the pro era) to not bring home a gold.  Your name would be etched into history for all the wrong reasons.  For team USA, getting silver in basketball is just as embarrassing as not getting a medal at all - it's gold or nothing.  The pressure is immense. 

Yet if you look at the team during these Olympics, winning is far from a given.  The USA has already had, what, three very near wins?  Either one of those could have been a loss if things went the wrong way.  So it's not like the old days where every game was a 20 point win - there is a real sense right now that Team USA has something to lose. 

I'm not even American, and even "I" can understand why somebody like DJ would say that an Olympic gold means more then any championship.  You guys are all Americans - I am disappointing and shocked that you aren't able to grasp that concept.

Last year Lebron James win a championship ring, but so did Tristan Thompson.  The year before that Steph Curry won a championship ring, but so did Shaun Livingston.  In 2008 Paul Pierce won a championship ring, but so did Eddie House.

As far as I'm ware Tristan Thompson, Shaun Livingston and Eddie house have never even been INVITED to play for Team USA. 

Contrary to all your beliefs, winning a gold medal is a LOT harder then winning a championship. 

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 04:59:41 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Winning basketball olympic gold for a team like China is and will perhaps be better than any glory they can ask for...if team USA winning gold in football is also be the case...but when you know you are the dominant specie in the said sport discipline then the gold is not as gleamming..because you are already given to win it...if you ask me..it only becomes a real question if for example you send the NJ Nets...what do you think then would they prefer right now..an olympic gold in basketball or an NBA championship...both ofcourse we all know the Nets wont stand a chance but the point is this...depends always on who you ask.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 05:36:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Winning basketball olympic gold for a team like China is and will perhaps be better than any glory they can ask for...if team USA winning gold in football is also be the case...but when you know you are the dominant specie in the said sport discipline then the gold is not as gleamming..because you are already given to win it...if you ask me..it only becomes a real question if for example you send the NJ Nets...what do you think then would they prefer right now..an olympic gold in basketball or an NBA championship...both ofcourse we all know the Nets wont stand a chance but the point is this...depends always on who you ask.

You could say the same for Golden State, who seemed like they were clearly the dominant team in the NBA after stitching together that historic 73 win season.  But then they almost lost to the Thunder and DID lose to Cleveland in the finals.

Likewise the USA is assumed to be the dominant team in the Olympics, but they were neck and neck with Australia until the final 2 minutes or so, and finished up dangerously close in two of their other wins.  That's three close wins out or 5 or so all up. 

The USA is no longer the dominant team it once is.  It's still the best team and the favorite to win, but lately the team has not been able to cruise to gold medals like they did in the past - they have to fight hard for almost every win, and they need to work their butts off if they want that gold.  A silver medal is well within the realm of possibility if they underestimate the competition - perhaps even true if they DON'T underestimate them.

Simple reality is that a team of 12 elite basketball players running iso's on every possession is very capable of being beaten by a team of 12 really good basketball players with elite chemistry and a superior game plan, playing as a team. 

That's pretty much what we are seeing right now.

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 07:16:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

crimson_stallion, I don't see a lack of patriotism in this thread, at all.  I think there is a difference between having pride to represent your country as best as possible (no argument from anyone) and the athletic significance of the accomplishment.  Given what is required, an NBA ring is simply a greater accomplishment, IMO.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

As an example where the Gold may matter more than a league championship. Exactly

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Winning an Olympic Gold Medal is like being on the winning team of an all star game between the NBA and NBDL.
fixed that for you

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

crimson_stallion, I don't see a lack of patriotism in this thread, at all.  I think there is a difference between having pride to represent your country as best as possible (no argument from anyone) and the athletic significance of the accomplishment.  Given what is required, an NBA ring is simply a greater accomplishment, IMO.

Yeah, it's just sports after all.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Haha wow dude.  It's basketball at the Olympics where the US team wins most games by 30 points.  Take a step back.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 10:32:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Haha wow dude.  It's basketball at the Olympics where the US team wins most games by 30 points.  Take a step back.

Yeah, and the fact that many players choose not to play on the Olympic team says quite a bit about what is really important to these guys.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, and the fact that many players choose not to play on the Olympic team says quite a bit about what is really important to these guys.
Yep. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I don't know...

Both the nba and olympics are super corrupt

But the olympics more so

Plus Jordan is saying that because he's never won a ring

Also, there is way more competition in the NBA. So it should be worth more
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 11:11:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean he gets to decide what's more important to him. I certainly think the NBA is a more prestigious prize.

I do think as the Olympics continue to get more competitive the relative value will shift for me.