Author Topic: What if Klay Thompson becomes available?  (Read 1862 times)

What if Klay Thompson becomes available?
« on: August 17, 2016, 01:09:35 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I just have this gut feeling he'll be demanding a trade by January.   Doesn't look like he and Durant have gotten off on the right foot in Rio, and he's certain to sacrifice a lot of his stats in GS this year.   Add to that, I just don't think there is anyway they can sustain another 70+ win season.   Adversity will likely be greater this year, now that they are the leagues undisputed villains. 

Should this all come to pass, what's the most you part with for Klay?
Amir & AB perhaps

That'd be a great 2 for 1 for GS, considering they could use a defensive big.

Thoughts?

Re: What if Klay Thompson becomes available?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:25:08 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Lots of teams would give up a lot more than AB and Amir for him.  I'd honestly give up a lot, I think despite the hype for him, he's still really under appreciated.  You see how they play when Curry is out, there's not much of a drop off.  I'd do something like AB, Smart, Mickey, Clips pick & the Grizz pick in a heartbeat, I'm guessing that's not enough though.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 01:45:39 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Keep dreaming brother. It would be great but it's not happening.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:46:46 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this way. With Steph and KD already taking most of the shots, and Draymond playing that all around role, I find it hard to envision a scenario where Klay is getting his own and is still playing at a high level.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 01:55:53 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I'm not sure about demanding a trade, but I'm with you in thinking that he's going to be the odd man out and sacrifice his shots/touches the most with Green. I've preached that there's going to be chemistry/fit issues the whole time, and the Olympics and his recent comments have only seemed to add fuel to that fire and point to Thompson as the odd man out. If it does go sour, I would think that next summer they'd ultimately choose between KD resigning and keeping Thompson, unless it would get real bad during the season.

And honestly, is there a player in this league better suited for the two spot between Curry and Durant than Bradley? I don't think so. In fact, I think they'd ultimately probably be an overall better team with Bradley than Thompson when you figure in his better overall D (especially to contain Irving/Paul/Westbrook/etc.) and less need for touches.

But in the unlikely event that things would go sour enough this season for him to demand a trade, I would definitely be very interested in Thompson, whose scoring and shooting would take us to another level. You'd almost have to give up a Brooklyn pick for him, though, something like Bradley, JJ, and the Brooklyn 2018 pick. And he very well might be worth it.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
He's one of the best 2 guards in the NBA, he fits in every system, is an excellent defender, and would have two seasons of team control.

You'd be giving up whatever GSW wanted, and the bidding war would be insane. AB and Amir is comically unrealistic.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
You're dreaming.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
He's one of the best 2 guards in the NBA, he fits in every system, is an excellent defender, and would have two seasons of team control.

You'd be giving up whatever GSW wanted, and the bidding war would be insane. AB and Amir is comically unrealistic.

Yeah, but it is a starting point. You always have the 2018 BKN pick if needed. And, as Jpotter mentioned, there isn't a better fit in the world than AB in GSW replacing Thompson. The 2nd best might be Smart.

Other teams might be offering a lot, but we have a lot and AB's or Smart's value is higher to a team like GSW than other teams. They are the ultimate team first players. And in AB's case, he's a knockdown 3pt shooter who doesn't need the ball to be effective.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

Yeah, but it is a starting point. You always have the 2018 BKN pick if needed. And, as Jpotter mentioned, there isn't a better fit in the world than AB in GSW replacing Thompson. The 2nd best might be Smart.

Other teams might be offering a lot, but we have a lot and AB's or Smart's value is higher to a team like GSW than other teams. They are the ultimate team first players. And in AB's case, he's a knockdown 3pt shooter who doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Exactly. The win-now teams are where we hold the most value in trade assets (outside of the increasingly valuable Brooklyn picks), because we have numerous high-end, two-way role players that are perfect fits on contending teams.

I still honestly think that Golden State would be better with Bradley than Thompson. Thompson is the overall better player, though I really don't think it's by all that much, but Bradley is an absolute perfect fit between Curry and Durant. If he could solely focus on hitting the three when passed to him and D'ing up the Chris Pauls, Damian Lillards, and Kyrie Irvings of the world, then Golden State would almost be unbeatable.