Author Topic: Low credibility Noel rumor  (Read 12044 times)

Re: Low credibility Noel rumor
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 05:04:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Haven't we finally gotten to the point where we all agree to not give up too much for Noel or Okafor?  It seems like these off-season threads just churn away...
what would be the payout if I put 100 bucks on Philly making the playoffs this year ?

If you really are high on Philly this season, you should put like a thousand dollars on them to win more than 24-25 games. That is what Vegas has them at and you can place that bet just about anywhere in Nevada legally
What would be the payout if I put down $100 on them to win over 25 games?

Can you put money on the making the playoffs?  I don't understand Vegas gambling.  If I throw down $100 on them making the playoffs (which literally nobody in their right mind expects) and they actually made the playoffs, could I buy a house?

I'm more just curious about gambling in general.  There's probably no listed odds for, "Philly makes the playoffs as the 8th seed, upset the top seed Celtics in Round 1"... but are there places that would take that bet?  How do they determine the payout amount for highly improbable bets like that?

Professional gamblers are Crazy. Examples ore from the last Superbowl, they will bet 18k just to win 1 K dollars on what they see as a sure thing which was an offensive player to win the MVP.

Funny thing is Von Miller won the MVP and a thousand dollar bet would have won you 25 thousand back.
I can't speak for every book, but mine doesn't have a philly playoff bet (yet). You definitely couldn't buy a house. The highest I could see it being is 20-1. Now if you bet that on them to win the championship you could buy many many houses

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Haven't we finally gotten to the point where we all agree to not give up too much for Noel or Okafor?  It seems like these off-season threads just churn away...
what would be the payout if I put 100 bucks on Philly making the playoffs this year ?

If you really are high on Philly this season, you should put like a thousand dollars on them to win more than 24-25 games. That is what Vegas has them at and you can place that bet just about anywhere in Nevada legally

Can you put money on the making the playoffs?  I don't understand Vegas gambling.  If I throw down $100 on them making the playoffs (which literally nobody in their right mind expects) and they actually made the playoffs, could I buy a house?

I'm more just curious about gambling in general.  There's probably no listed odds for, "Philly makes the playoffs as the 8th seed, upset the top seed Celtics in Round 1"... but are there places that would take that bet?  How do they determine the payout amount for highly improbable bets like that?

You can bet on almost anything in Vegas.  They just give you odds and pay out accordingly.  I'd guess Philly making the playoffs is at least 10-1, so your $100 pays out a grand.
They will probably be really really bad, but I also wouldn't be terribly shocked to see some of their young guys making an impact quickly.

The thing is, even if healthy Embiid is better than Karl Towns (as Brian Scalabrine expects), Noel flourishes in his 3rd season, Okafor makes a leap, Saric and Simmons are brilliant as rookies, etc... You gotta figure last year's Wolves team would be about what we should expect from them... and that team lost a ton of games.   They are too young.  They might have the talent to do it, though.

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2016, 05:07:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I didn't find this years odds, but here are last years.  I would guess Philly would have better odds of making the playoffs this year then they did last year.  Last year your $100 bet on making the playoffs would have paid $2500 had they made the playoffs.

https://www.boydsbets.com/odds-to-make-the-nba-playoffs/

The first number is Yes for making the playoffs, the second is No for making the playoffs.  So take the Hawks.  If you bet on the Hawks making the playoffs, your $1800 would pay you just $100 if they made the playoffs.  If you bet No and they didn't make the playoffs, your $100 bet would pay you $900.  Boston was projected to not make the playoffs last year, that will obviously be different this year.

Atlanta Hawks -1800 +900
Boston Celtics +100 -130
Brooklyn Nets +1000 -2000
Charlotte Hornets +400 -600
Chicago Bulls -2000 +1000
Cleveland Cavaliers -4000 +1700
Dallas Mavericks +240 -300
Denver Nuggets +1500 -3000
Detroit Pistons +240 -300
Golden State Warriors -4000 +1700
Houston Rockets -1800 +900
Indiana Pacers +100 -130