Poll

Would you do trade below for Gali?

Yes it's worth a shot.
8 (40%)
No too much salary.
2 (10%)
That is an overpay not a bargain. (State your buy low trade)
1 (5%)
Rather keep what we have.
9 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Would you buy low on Gallinari?  (Read 4366 times)

Would you buy low on Gallinari?
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
OK so last season plenty of people on here discussed Galli trades. Biggest issues were cost of the trade, salary/cap, and players injury history. And lo and behold Gali went down with injury. Nuggets are in building mode and I suppose Gali's value is very low.
So what if Denver wanted AJ, Jackson and any 1st C's choose to throw in for Gali. Would you pull the trigger on that buy low price?

I can see Gali playing starting PF for the C's. Gives them another scoring threat.
IT, AB, Crowder, Gali, Hordford
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:43:41 AM by Csfan1984 »

Re: Would you buy low on Gallinari?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:44:02 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
He has a $16 million player option next year, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk of him picking it up (given his injury history).  He'd definitely be an upgrade offensively, but I don't think giving up Amir's expiring and a first for a year of Gallinari (or 2 years, but taking away our cap space next year) would be worth it

It's possible that we could clear him off the books next year for nothing (if we needed to), but I don't want to take that risk
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
He has a $16 million player option next year, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk of him picking it up (given his injury history).  He'd definitely be an upgrade offensively, but I don't think giving up Amir's expiring and a first for a year of Gallinari (or 2 years, but taking away our cap space next year) would be worth it

It's possible that we could clear him off the books next year for nothing (if we needed to), but I don't want to take that risk

Given the way the C's handled the last draft I don't mind them burning a first for a 16 point scorer with the occasional big game performance. Again if health wasn't a concern his price would never be so low. Have to take the good with the bad.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm generally in favor of buying low on most players.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd hesitantly say yes, but we would need a deal in place for the oft-rumored Noel since losing AJ would kill us down low. We also would likely need to say good-bye to any chance of Griffin (not likely) or Hayward (more likely) next off-season...although, with the cap so out of control, if Gallo doesn't disintegrate this season, his player option will be declined and he will command a higher salary over more years.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sure but I doubt the Nugs sell low on him.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
OK so last season plenty of people on here discussed Galli trades. Biggest issues were cost of the trade, salary/cap, and players injury history. And lo and behold Gali went down with injury. Nuggets are in building mode and I suppose Gali's value is very low.
So what if Denver wanted AJ, Jackson and any 1st C's choose to throw in for Gali. Would you pull the trigger on that buy low price?

I can see Gali playing starting PF for the C's. Gives them another scoring threat.
IT, AB, Crowder, Gali, Hordford
I'm not big on Galinari but from a talent perspective, it's a steal for us. 

the thing I don't like about it, which is why I wouldn't make this deal, is that it leaves us with just Horford and Zeller as centers.  KO is not a center, Zeller isn't expected to get many minutes and Horford wants to play more PF than center when he gets here.  I don't like the balance left on the roster after shipping out Amir. 

Replace Amir with someone who plays a position we're loaded at, then it may be worth revisiting but Galinari's main attribute is offense.  He brings precious little rebounding and defense for a guy you're proposing to make our starting PF.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:29:27 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Gallinari fixes none of the issues and will make both the interior defense and rebounding worse by swapping him for Johnson.  Thus I see no point in using the Johnson contract on Gallinari
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 01:18:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
He does help the offense though C's struggle to score in the playoffs. He isn't the perfect player if he was again he wouldn't go so low. AJ isn't a difference maker. Having a mismatch at PF may be the way to go.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
He does help the offense though C's struggle to score in the playoffs. He isn't the perfect player if he was again he wouldn't go so low. AJ isn't a difference maker. Having a mismatch at PF may be the way to go.
A bit, but he isn't the most efficient guy and while a good three point shooter, isn't a great three point shooter.  He isn't much of a rebounder or passer.  And his defense just isn't very good.  He is basically a better version of Jerekbo, which is nice, but isn't going to move the win total all that much if at all. 

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Gallinari sucks.

Next.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 01:40:41 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Gallinari fixes none of the issues and will make both the interior defense and rebounding worse by swapping him for Johnson.  Thus I see no point in using the Johnson contract on Gallinari

He fixes one of our biggest issues which was evident in the playoffs: shooting/scoring. He'd take a lot of pressure off IT
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He fixes one of our biggest issues which was evident in the playoffs: shooting/scoring. He'd take a lot of pressure off IT
He is a worse three point shooter than Olynyk and Jerekbo.  About the same as Bradley and Thomas.  In fact per 36 Olynyk out performs Gallinari almost across the board (Gallo gets to the line a lot more and thus scores a bit more).  Gallo is a good but not great three point shooter.  He can get to the line well, but generally isn't very good at much else.  He is a pretty bad rebounder at SF (and at PF would be one of the worst in the game) and a well below average passer.  His defense is atrocious and would be even worse if he was playing PF (and frankly I'm not sure offensively he would be better as a PF). 

I see no reason to hurt the rebounding, defense, etc. for a nominal offensive improvement while utilizing Boston's only nice expiring contract and some other minor assets. 

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 06:41:29 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Your Nuts!

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 08:20:49 AM »